Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, just purchased 2016 Sportage and found it has the notchy/sticky steering effect when hitting 60 mph plus as described elsewhere in these pages. Seems it might need a new steering rack but that the process of getting this done may not be straightforward.

One question - car is still within 30 day warranty from (non-Kia) secondhand (large-ish) dealership - any idea whether I'm best trying to get work done under this or just taking straight to a Kia dealer and trying to use 7-year warranty? I'm asuming Kia might be more familiar with problem and if it takes a while to fix might be a better option but just wondering whether I should try dealer from where purchased first?

Thanks for any advice, cheers Andy

·
Super Moderator
1,814 Posts
Moved to Sportage forum.

If you have just bought it. You do have 30 days to reject the car under your consumer rights.

I would 1st flag it in to the dealer you bought it from to see what they are prepared to do/say.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I had exactly the same issue on my 2017, 1.7 Diesel ISG2.
After reading well documented cases on this forum and on the net I self diagnosed the issue with mine from speeds only above 50 mph.
I took mine back to the supplying Kia main dealership where it was taken out on a test run with me present.
The car was driven onto a fast moving 70 mph dual carriageway where straight away the Kia guy detected a fault in the electronic rack.
It was good news for me as mine was booked in for a complete new electronic steering rack under warranty at what I believe was alnot £4000. Pleased to say no further issues and now a pleasure to drive. Hope you get it sorted.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Dealer noticed I had a little play in steering at 1st MoT. They changed steering rack under warranty a few weeks later, no debate about it.
Said it was worth £2k plus vat.

·
Registered
4,461 Posts
Kia will only do it if it has full service history with all relevant proof of parts and fluids used. If not probably best course of action is reject it to the dealer purchased from within 30 days.

·
Registered
36 Posts
After reading well documented cases on this forum and on the net I self diagnosed the issue with mine from speeds only above 50 mph.
I took mine back to the supplying Kia main dealership where it was taken out on a test run with me present.
The car was driven onto a fast moving 70 mph dual carriageway where straight away the Kia guy detected a fault in the electronic rack.
It was good news for me as mine was booked in for a complete new electronic steering rack under warranty at what I believe was alnot £4000. Pleased to say no further issues and now a pleasure to drive. Hope you get it sorted.
What are you calling notching steering what is it doing / feel like

·
Registered
36 Posts
What are you calling notching steering what is it doing / feel like

·
Registered
8 Posts
My "nochy" steering issue is at speeds over 50/60mph, when constant left/right corrections are required to keep in lane, together with some corrections which suddenly results in a severe "kick" from the power steering. Motorway driving is not a relaxing experience, it almost feels like the LKAS system is applied (which I have never used and ensured is turned off). I've changed the front tyres at 19K miles to premium Michelin from the Continentals which made no difference. Urban driving is not a problem.
I had put a written defect in when the first service was due in September and the dealership said "it was the tracking" despite my reply that the previous tyres showed no scrubbing or wear, with no damage/adjustments made to the steering geometry, but they still said they couldn't find any defect. Unfortunately the nearest motorway is over 20 miles away from the dealership for them to test drive it at speed, they didn't even bother to record the defect on the service sheet. I am currently writing to Kia to ask them to investigate.
Such a shame as I love the Sportage, which is spoilt by this one defect which results in poor and tiring driving experience.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Sounds as though your dealer is as dumb as mine was, even tried to convince me it was all in my mind!! Eventually got shot of the car as it bugged me that much. Thankfully this new Sportage is a pleasure to drive. It was well worth the hit I took on handing the car back early under PCH.

·
Registered
2 Posts
i took my 2016 back for the same problem , tried to fill me full of :poop: saying you have to turn lane departure off every time you start it , so the just disabled it via laptop without asking me , so snows kia have lost a returning customer

1 - 10 of 10 Posts