Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a top-of-the-range Sportage diesel 2 years ago- the gearbox has now failed for the THIRD time, at 12000 miles and Kia doesn't seem bothered.

The first failure was at 200 miles. I looked into my legal case for rejecting the car but was told that one has to give the firm "reasonable" time to repair it, and when one does that, it seems one loses one's right to reject the car (Catch 22). I was never quite sure what caused the delay- the agent blamed the wait on a spare part that took a long time to arrive, but it took 7 weeks.

At about 11,000 miles the synchromesh failed between 1st and 2nd gear. (Same fault) Kia refused to allow a new box to be fitted, but insisted the dealership strip it down and repair it. Car was off the road for about 4 weeks.

Now, at 12,000 miles it has happened again. And, guess what, Kia STILL refuse to allow the dealer to fit a new box. It is currently in pieces and they are , allegedly, sending a "technical expert" from heaven -knows where, to look at it to decide if it should be repaired again, rather than have a new box. So, in a little over 2 years I have so far paid for about 13 weeks of road fund license and insurance when my car has been un-driveable.

The laughably-entitiled "customer assistance" department say they cannot override the technical department, yet I, as a mere customer, am not allowed to contact them.

Message- Warn everyone you can about this and do NOT buy a Kia. If it is off the road for any significant time now, without anew box, I shall be suing vie the Small Claims track in the County Court for my losses.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Update: Another week has gone by-no messages from the Kia Dealership and they have not returned my phone calls. Disgraceful in my view.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
That's shocking that a car should fail like that so many times and to be dealt with such as you have is really bad!!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, Another week- still no car. My letter to the Kia "customer care centre"- ignored. I have now worked out that in the 2 years I have owned this car, it has been off the road for 12.5% of the time. Letter sent, recorded delivery, to teh Chief Exec of Kia today. I think I deserve a replacement car now.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
And it goes on. This is truly unbelieveable- I waited another 4 weeks- yes FOUR, for the gearbox yet again to be "REPAIRED" but after one week and 300 miles- yup, grinding between the gears again. Ihave now spent money on an opinion from a solicitor and it looks like I can sue Kia for "Breach of Warranty" but this will be a long, slow, expensive process. This will be the fourth time the local dealer has looked at this problem.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts