Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

New onto the site,

I wonder if anyone can help Ijust bought a sportage xs diesel 2006 modelit has developed a slight hesitation at about 1500 rev only does it around town the fuel filter been changed any info would be appreciated.

Cheers

Gordon

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have just got a new Sportage (only done 300mls) and this happens on mine. I find if the turbo drops off before you change gear the revs reduce and there is a split second when you feel the brake comes on. I have been over reving as i change 1st to second to stop it happening. I think you just need to rev them i am sure others will have the same problem. If you do take to a dealer let me know the result. Thanks Kev

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have A 2010 Sportage aswell with same problem, has been back to kia 4 times they keep telling me they can't find a fault we get it back and fault starts. they are keeping it for a week this time to see if it happens while they have the car all settings are correct and they don't really know what is causing the problem, if they find out i will post a reply.

Dave

·
Registered
662 Posts
have you had the egr ecu upgrade done by your dealer? this usualy cures the issue its caused by the egr valve opening too rapid and too soon this causes a hic up its standard on early 5 speed models but can be helped by the upgrade

if the upgrades been done they need to check for coke build up behind the egr heat exchanger

·
Registered
6 Posts
Had new egr valve at about 450miles on clock ok for about another 300 miles or so then fault came back. They are saying all settings and software are up to date.there is only 2000 miles on the clock, because nothing shows when kia have it as it can a few days with out the fault and then might do it 3 or 4 times in a day they have told us they don't know what is causing it. they are keeping car for a few days and they have lent us another sportage and that is fine.

·
Registered
197 Posts
On my 2008 CRDi 4WD M/T, I occasionally feel a small hesitation - a sort of flat spot - when accelerating from low RPM. I think it occurs at around 1800 RPM and is more noticeable in a low gear and not there all the time. The dealer has taken an initial look and the mechanic believes it's to do with the 4WD system disengaging at around 20 MPH. He thinks that the 4WD system is detecting slippage and engaging because I have a different brand of tyre on each axle (they are all the same size and have a similar amount of tread) then disengaging at 20 MPH producing a small hesitation. To prove the point he pulled the fuse on the 4WD and he felt the problem went away. I'm not totally convinced as the test was rather short and I think I'm detecting the same problem in a higher gear above 20 MPH indicating to me that it is engine related rather than transmission.<BR itxt="1"><BR itxt="1">The dealer has contacted Kia UK and their suggestion, which we will try next week, is to swop front and rear wheels to see what happens. The dealer is keen to solve the problem as he sold me the car about 6 weeks ago and as part of the deal replaced the front tyres....with a different make to the rear. The dealer also mentioned that there was a known EGR problem but he didn't think this was what was affecting my car.

I'll let you know what happens after the wheels are swopped.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Blow in - Sounds like it IS the EGR problem. As Murphwiz said in the Carens forum, switch your air con on and if it disappears its the EGR system.Don't know why this should be so, but it definitely works on my Carens!
Mines in today for what sounds like the same problem, its already had an EGR change so hopefully it just needs a clean!
HTH
Quiltman

·
Registered
197 Posts
Quiltman,

Thanks - I suspect that you are right but I'll let the garage do the wheel swop first then see what happens....funnily enough I had the aircon on today (20C + in the Highlands!) and was thinking to myself that the problem was less pronounced.

Blow-in

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just had phone call from kia they have had car all week and can't fault it.(no hesitation when they drove it) don't know what to do now, they let us another sportage and that drove so much better than ours with no hesitation, they don't even try to replace anything, any ideas anyone.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi,

I have a November 2009 Sportage Crdi new with a similar problem. Its been in the garage several times, always showing no faults. First time it went in after 1000 miles and although only now done 4,000 miles, the problem still persists. For information, most of my motoring is very long journeys, but if I pip, pop about its often jerky.

If the car has been on a run and is up to temperature and then engine turned off. Within 30 minutes or a couple of hours sometimes when you start it, 'kangeroo hop for the first 100 yards'.

Then okay.Have had the crank shaft and cam shaft sensors changed but made no difference. Had some diesel cleaning agent in fuel system and it ran okay. Now tank full has been used, back to slight jerking. Garage says no fault codes coming up. Otherwise a lovely car.

R.

·
Registered
197 Posts
This may help if you can find the time to read down it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exhaust_gas_recirculation

I had an EGR problem on a Fiat several years ago which resulted in the engine refusing to rev when pulling away from standstill. It was expensive to rectify and several people on the Fiat forum suggested bypassing the valve...I know a friend who did on his Fiat and it went really well afterwards.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Operating the air-con increases the RPM on the engine a small amount due to the load of the compressor and cooling fan, stops the engine from stalling as the air- con kicks in and out.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Had car back on friday, was ok over weekend, had hesitation at least four times on monday but car ok today so far. I really wish it would do it when kia have it but that will be to much to ask for.

·
Registered
197 Posts
glynnatkinsd said:
Had car back on friday, was ok over weekend, had hesitation at least four times on monday but car ok today so far. I really wish it would do it when kia have it but that will be to much to ask for.

Are you using your aircon? Switching it on does seem to make my problem less obvious.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Tyres were rotated on Wednesday and I don't think that it has made a difference. I drove 10 miles with the 4WD fuse pulled and could still feel the occasional hesitation (a/c off). I've decided to pay the premium and see if BP Ultimate helps at all.....I'll test it over a couple of hundred miles.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I have posted this on the kia-forums.com site,but for anyone who has not seen it,after a recent service i was told they felt a hesitation on the test drive so did a software download to help this(i had felt this happen only afew times in the year that i have had her,so did not mention it to them?)but i was also told that they are gettingEGRs faulting due to supermarket fuel.
I will post again later after putting more miles on to see if the software downloadworks.

Cheers all.

·
Registered
197 Posts
A 1000 mile of BP Ultimate has not cured my problem (although the engine does seem to run quietly on the stuff) so the car is booked-in for an in-depth investigation...will report the out come later in the month.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi, I have a new 2010 Sportage 2.0 CRDi 4WD which I took delivery of at end of April. I noticed the jerkiness at low revs within first couple of weeks and took it back to main dealer but they could not find a fault. Problem has steadily got worse and they did a "forced regeneration of catalyst" on Friday and car was much better for a couple of hundred miles but I noticed the jerkiness at low revs again by Monday morning. Car back with Kia who have just told me it's the EGR valve and they are replacing the valve. Car's done less than 3000 miles!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts