Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had my Sportage GT Line S Petrol 2 year service done by KIA. Reported front tyre wear is even but both down to 2.7mm, rear tyres even wear also but both still have 5mm remaining. This at only 10,750 miles since new and front tyres will require replacing in next 1000 miles. In over 50 years ownership of various cars I have never had this sort of wear before. Anyone else with this Sportage issue, what mileage are others getting with Sportage front tyres?

·
Registered
52 Posts
I'm on my 2nd Sportage GT Line diesel and on the 2016 plate I got similar mileage to that you are reporting. I assume you have Continentals fitted? I changed the fronts twice at 13,000 and 25,000 miles. The backs did 20,000 and I changed them also at 3mm. On the backs I reverted to Avon ZX7 which are just as good and nearly half the cost. I also put these on the fronts at 25,000.
My current 2019 plate had 2,000 miles when I got it but also has Continentals. I will use Avon ZX7's again when the time comes to change.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Swap the fronts to the back & that will keep you going for a while.
But I find the Continentals on mine are rubbish. The other Sportages I’ve had, had Hankooks fitted much better.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm on my 2nd Sportage GT Line diesel and on the 2016 plate I got similar mileage to that you are reporting. I assume you have Continentals fitted? I changed the fronts twice at 13,000 and 25,000 miles. The backs did 20,000 and I changed them also at 3mm. On the backs I reverted to Avon ZX7 which are just as good and nearly half the cost. I also put these on the fronts at 25,000.
My current 2019 plate had 2,000 miles when I got it but also has Continentals. I will use Avon ZX7's again when the time comes to change.
Thanks for this Pete, less concerned now but still annoyed about the fast wear. I will go for the Avon ZX7’s on the front .

·
Registered
982 Posts
My last Sportage was a 2017 Sportage 2.0 diesel, and when I traded it in earlier this year, it had 20,000 miles on the clock and all four Hankook tyres looked good for at least another 10,000. The dealers did rotate the tyres at each service for me, to keep the wear even.
Current car has Continentals, but current pandemic situation means we've done about half our normal milage, so I can't gauge how they are going.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Swap the fronts to the back & that will keep you going for a while.
But I find the Continentals on mine are rubbish. The other Sportages I’ve had, had Hankooks fitted much better.
Thanks for your advice Ian. Bit late now to save the front tyres but will change these and monitor wear and definitely swap front to back when even.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Just had my Sportage GT Line S Petrol 2 year service done by KIA. Reported front tyre wear is even but both down to 2.7mm, rear tyres even wear also but both still have 5mm remaining. This at only 10,750 miles since new and front tyres will require replacing in next 1000 miles. In over 50 years ownership of various cars I have never had this sort of wear before. Anyone else with this Sportage issue, what mileage are others getting with Sportage front tyres?
Continental tyres? If so they are a softer compound so will last less time than other tyres with a harder compound. However, I have found they are great at what they are designed to do e. g. Stop quickly without skidding and keep good traction and grip on road.

·
Registered
513 Posts
My last Sportage was a 2017 Sportage 2.0 diesel, and when I traded it in earlier this year, it had 20,000 miles on the clock and all four Hankook tyres looked good for at least another 10,000. The dealers did rotate the tyres at each service for me, to keep the wear even.
Current car has Continentals, but current pandemic situation means we've done about half our normal milage, so I can't gauge how they are going.
Does your dealership swap over for free? My dealership charged around £50 for this service but when I asked about it at my last service they said it had gone up to I think somewhere in region of £70 or maybe slightly more. When I asked for reason for big jump in price, I was told that the price for rotation of tyres is now set by Kia so they have to charge the higher amount.
I guess with AWD cars in particular it’s a good little earner for garages as they know people will want to rotate tyres to ensure even tyre wear across all 4 tyres.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Does your dealership swap over for free? My dealership charged around £50 for this service but when I asked about it at my last service they said it had gone up to I think somewhere in region of £70 or maybe slightly more. When I asked for reason for big jump in price, I was told that the price for rotation of tyres is now set by Kia so they have to charge the higher amount.
I guess with AWD cars in particular it’s a good little earner for garages as they know people will want to rotate tyres to ensure even tyre wear across all 4 tyres.
That's an incredible price, particularly at Service time when they've probably got the wheels off anyway. I'm sure my local friendly tyre depot would do it for less than that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
982 Posts
Free. On the first service they offered to do it for me and said it was part of the service package I had got with the car. On the second service they did it and noted it had been done on the service sheet. I don't know with the current car, obviously it's not old enough yet.

·
Registered
232 Posts
10,000 miles in and 1.1mm of legal wear left puts them on a 12,000 mile trajectory which is totally expected for these vehicles & quite normal.
I really cannot understand why people buy heavy SUVs and then complain about tyre wear.... what did you expect?

·
Registered
513 Posts
That's an incredible price, particularly at Service time when they've probably got the wheels off anyway. I'm sure my local friendly tyre depot would do it for less than that.

Yes, that’s what I thought but as I was previously quoted the lower price I was told that they would honour it this year so that was fine but did say that now the price has gone up due to it being set by Kia. So would assume this price will be fairly standard across most dealerships. Obviously some dealerships could still choose to not charge so guess it’s just luck of the draw.

·
Registered
4,544 Posts
One of the things I have noticed, particularly with dealers, is that they have standard prices for standard jobs, but never make any allowance when performing two or more of the jobs together. So "put car on ramp, raise it, remove all wheels, re-fit all wheels, torque all wheel lugs and lower ramp" is charged at the same price even when, for other reasons, the car is already on the ramp with the wheels off. Not having a pop particularly at KIA dealers - Toyota seem to be experts at this practice.

·
Registered
233 Posts
10,000 miles in and 1.1mm of legal wear left puts them on a 12,000 mile trajectory which is totally expected for these vehicles & quite normal.
I really cannot understand why people buy heavy SUVs and then complain about tyre wear.... what did you expect?
So many variables to consider with regards to tyre wear, type of vehicle, type of journey, type of road surface & most importantly driving style.

I have a 17 plate Sportage petrol AWD still on its first set of tyres (Continentals) @ 26k miles, all four tyres (wheels have been rotated) now need replacing.😂

·
Registered
139 Posts
One of the things I have noticed, particularly with dealers, is that they have standard prices for standard jobs, but never make any allowance when performing two or more of the jobs together. So "put car on ramp, raise it, remove all wheels, re-fit all wheels, torque all wheel lugs and lower ramp" is charged at the same price even when, for other reasons, the car is already on the ramp with the wheels off. Not having a pop particularly at KIA dealers - Toyota seem to be experts at this practice.
Agreed, that is the main negative with 'menu pricing'. Simple enough in theory, but, as you say, takes no account of multiple tasks that each require removal of wheels etc. Apart from that it works reasonably well

·
Registered
150 Posts
Another reason to use your local independent tyre dealer - mine charged me £15.00. He also beat Kwik Fit on price for my 19" Michelins @ £175 a corner all-in

·
Registered
678 Posts
I had a 2 ton SUV some years back and drove 100,000 miles on 1 set, mostly on the road.
General grabber A/T, made in Canada, treadwear rating about 400. Grabber S/T may have similar longevity.
The camber was adjusted to almost 0, otherwise standard setup.

Rolling diameter was equivalent to 285/55-19. Similar tyre dimensions to the latest SUVs. Larger diameter may be the single largest influence on longevity, together with tread depth when new. 10mm for A/T vs typically 8mm for street tyres.

Downside with A/T tyres, is noise, aquaplaning.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts