Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I have a 68 plate sportage gt line S automatic mild hybrid. Is it just me or do other people think there is a lag in the changing of gears. For example sometimes it gets to 2500/3000 revs before it decides to change gear. Then other times it's fine. It's like the car is confused on what to do. I have never drove an automatic before so could it possibly be me driving it like a manual. It's booked into kia next week.

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
The gear change point is not fixed - it depends on accelerator position, engine temp, sport mode selected, steering angle, the speed of the vehicle, the gradient, and to some extent what you have been doing previously. It tries to anticipate the driver's demand and the type of road. If you bury the accelerator and keep it there in a straight line it will nearly redline before changing gear. Just let it get on with it.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I always drive mine in manual mode - using the flappy paddles.
I'm perfectly capable of deciding when to change gear - I don't need the car to try to work it out for me when I can see the road ahead and anticipate best gear to be in.
Doing this also means I am able to improve on the economy by approx. 3mpg compared to driving in auto mode.

·
Registered
412 Posts
With an Auto Box you can often get it to change 'up' earlier if you back off the throttle pedal slightly - obviously depending on speed and road gradient/hills.

Reactions: Wazz78

·
Registered
79 Posts
I always drive mine in manual mode - using the flappy paddles.
I'm perfectly capable of deciding when to change gear - I don't need the car to try to work it out for me when I can see the road ahead and anticipate best gear to be in.
Doing this also means I am able to improve on the economy by approx. 3mpg compared to driving in auto mode.
Why buy an auto then?

·
Registered
22 Posts
in sport mode, mine holds onto gears longer
also
I had a fault when the gearbox was only using gears 2, 4 and 6, and the revs were much higher between changes (plus the flappy paddles didnt work)

·
Registered
188 Posts
1. Because I find clutch pedals tedious - particularly when in traffic.
2. Because I find reaching for the gear lever tedious.
3. Because the DCT gearbox is much quicker shifting than a manual.
I agree that clutch is tedious in traffic. Switched to an auto in my last car (only option) and never looked back. The day of the old Rover 3speed auto with 5-second gear change lag is gone. I love a full manual but for the majority of driving i just can’t be bothered. I tend to use the paddles/stick shifter as I’m not a fan of the constant early change but I get the option of auto.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Sounds as though you might find driving tedious!
Nope. I find stop/start driving in traffic tedious (anyone who doesn't I question their sanity).
There is no fun in crawling along and going up/down the gears continuously between 0-30-0mph.
And when you do 40,000 miles a year as I do (well did before Covid anyway) then quite a bit of that is stuck in traffic.

I love driving on open road. That's why I bought the 1.6T - it's also why I have 4 other cars.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts