Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone.
I bought a 2.0 CRDi Sportage with 22000miles on the clock in mid-March, took it to France a fortnight laterand not far down the autoroute experienced clutch slipping under heavy load in top gear! Drove very carefully after that but it happened between ten and twenty times over the next 1500 miles- but not consistently andnearly alwayswhen hot. On two occasions, heavy acceleration in any gear made it slip but on others you might have thought there was nothing wrong with it at all.

Spoke from Franceto the supplying 4/4 trader who agreed to replaceclutch but, now I've returned it to them, they say they can't find anything wrong when driving it!!!

Anyone experienced anything similar, or got any advice? I know from long experience there's nothing more difficult to diagnosethan an intermittent car fault, but surely not with the clutch??!!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
if you do find out probs please post it ,as i am having same probs on 17000mls, dealer said same cant find probs , i think could be small amount of oil on clutch face which burns off after a while

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, Murphwiz.
I didn't even know this model has a dual mass flywheel! You sound very sure about the diagnosis, but how does this cause such a strange intermittent slippage? More info would be super-helpful, as I still haven't got the dealer to accept something's wrong, although I know perfectly well that it is!

Thanks again.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Usually manifests itself under high torque loads, try flooring it uphill in third through the rev range, only sure way is to drop the box and check the free play in the flywheel, will need new flywheel, clutch as it'll have been slipped, and an ecu upgrade to eliminate future issues.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Oh Dear, Jimreed's problem sounds so familiar. On the return journey from West Walesrecently, with a caravan in tow, my 56 plateSportage displayed the same problems.Now assuming it is the Dual Mass Flywheel, what options haveI.got, bearing in mind my warranty ran out last October. Am I looking at a huge bill to sort this out?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Grateful for everyone's input on this, especially Murphwiz - but my mystery is only deepening.
After a series of trials by me and the dealer, including stall tests which would normally expose failing dual mass flywheel OR slipping clutch, there has been no recurrence of my problem over at leastthe last 400 miles! The supplying dealer was very good and helpful about it but, understandably, wanted to see the nature of the problem for himself before starting to replace parts which might be in perfect working order when stripped out.

Havingsearched my memoryvery carefully about all the times my clutchwas slipping - and bearing in mind I was always very quick to back offthe throttle toavoidmaking the problem worse- I am beginning to wonder if the problem actually lay with the clutch master cylinder. This seems hugely unlikely because in effectthe pedal acts directly on it, but I can recall a few timessensing that the pedal was not returning fully to its normal rest position as quickly as it should. Could it conceivably havebeen a bit of grit or roughness impedingthe master cylider'saction for a second or two, which has now cleared???? If so, its a new phenomenon for me in over forty years driving! I'd really ratherlike it to recur so that I can clear up the mystery, and will report further if it does.

Good luck to others with similar symptoms, but I have found out in the last few weeks that both clutch and dual mass flywheel failure on the Sportage are really quite rare in normal driving.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Rare? OK.......
Not VW/Ford common, but not what I'd personally call rare, when they first started going the flywheels were £1200, now price has dropped to £500.
The only sure way to know is to drop the box and check the flywheel, not easy or cheap.
Keep a close eye on it whilst in warranty, you really don't want that bill!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I too have a 59 plate 4wd XS and on the motorway last night when accelerating having been at a roundabout the engine sounded as though I was dropping the clutch pedal, I wasn't. It seems a bit intermittent but it is due a service in a couple of weeks. It doesn't have a tow bar and has only done 30,000. Does the warranty cover the clutch, flywheel
etc?

Cheers Millster

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi Millster,
Not sure whether or not you've seen my original thread about my slipping clutch, but you might like to know the story, incredible 'though it may seem.

I bought my 06Sportage XS dieselin earlyMarch 2010and almost immediately took it on a ski-ing holiday to France. Pulling on to the autoroute outside Calais I floored the throttle and immediately experienced the clutch slipping, but it re-engaged enough to drive normallywhen I backed off the throttle. We proceeded with great care from then on,but this occurred quite a few times more during the holiday. Theslippage did not actuallyget worse andI eventually nursed the car back to England and, on the request of the sympatheticsellers (Twyford 4x4 of Berkshire), took it back to them for inspection. I hit congestion on the M4 getting there and the clutch again slipped a couple of times in the heavy traffic.

When they examined the car the next daythey found nothing wrong. I went over again a few days laterand I could find nothing wrong on driving it with their chief mechanic travelling with me! We talked about what could possibly have caused the slippage but arrived at no conclusion. The clutch has never slipped since then.

I have a theory, but most people with whom I've discussed it think it bizarre and unlikely. The pedal return spring on this model is not particularly strong, although normally perfectly adequate. If a particle of very hard metal or grit got caught where the pedal goes through the bulkhead into the master cylinder, it could conceivably prevent full return and, in effect, keep the clutch slightly disengaged on an intermittent basis.I have no evidence whatsoever for this, but I know what I and my family experienced on that holiday!

To paraphraseSherlock Holmes: In the absence of any other explanation, what remains is the truth. You might like to bear this in mind if you take yours back to a dealer, as your symptom sounds identical to mine.

I'm noexpert on warranties, but clutch and flywheel can't be regarded as "consumables" so must surely be covered(?)

jimreed

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hey Jimreed

Thanks for the reply and the update. The car is going in for an inspection tomorrow and I will be sure to let them know about your theory. It was a bit strange that it was intermittent and didn't do it yesterday so who knows. Will get back to you with the outcome and a gold star if you are right.

Cheers

Millster

·
Registered
437 Posts
Clutch well only be covered if there is a mechanical defect. As fast as I'm aware, a failing dual mass flywheel will not cause slippage. Its purpose is to make taking up the drive more smooth.the only reason a clutch would slip is if it has oil contamination or it has been slipped before and got very hot. Noticeable on the flywheel and pressure plate by a change of colour to blue/purple. As for the return spring on pedal, they have been known to break. Being you tow, its more likely it had got hot from unintentional slippage when moving caravan and that's why it does it when hot.

·
Registered
11 Posts
been to the garage had it checked..............nothing, nowt, nada, nil point. It hasn't done it since either so keeping an eye on it and put it down to gremlins.

Millster

·
Registered
6 Posts
<div dir="ltr">Well gents, apologise to any ladies who may have commented, I have this problem with my 57 plate sportage xs. To make a short story long, I bought the car aug 09 approx 36000 on clock, during march 10, clutch started to slip. Contacted 2 kia dealers about this problem, by now car had done 45000 miles, the only help I got from them was "its out of warranty and it will cost £600 to drop gear box to find the problem" great after care service. Well I bit the bullet went to my local garage and they changed the clutch total cost £590. So now one would expect no more probs, wrong fast forward to christmas 11 mileage 61000, clutch has started with same problem intermittent slipping, Again spoke to Kia Bolton all they would say is "they would need to drop the gear box which would be 6hrs labour to establish what could be wrong, but if it is a faulty clutch the parts would be covered under warranty, great no labour costs. So it is now back at my Local garage to have the job done. So to my point having read through all on this forum I'm still non the wiser and even confused as to what could be causing this intermittent slipping and so must Kia if they have no idea without dropping the gearbox. Or could they be hiding a possible manufacturing fault that seems to be plaguing a few Kia owners.
The theory from Mr Jimreed I believe may have some substance, as I have noticed that when the intermittent slipping starts to occour in lower gears, if I dip the clutch releasing it sharply, the slipping ceases and drives correctly.
<div dir="ltr">As for Mr Kia's theory of towing and unintentional slipping of the clutch, I do appreciate that this could happen, but the last 2 cars ( Ford Mondeo's) I have had from new driven for 3yrs towing a trailer 4 days a week carrying considerable weight doing over 100000 miles in each vehicle and never had to have a new clutch fitted, so I am ruling out unintentional slipping!!!!! Why do garages always put it down to driver error!!!!!
<div dir="ltr">So please HELP needed as I will probably be engaged in a prolonged discussion with Kia over faulty parts etc. as I don't expect them to find fault with their parts!!!!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Well ladies and gents gear box out Dual Mass Fly wheel capute looks like another large bill, surely these sort of items sould last longer than 63000 miles urrrrrrrrgggggggggghhhhhhhhh depressed

1 - 20 of 25 Posts