Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks
New here and just purchased a 66 plate (2016) Sportage and have been reading some horror stories about the alloys corroding, our wheels are pristine bar a little graze on one from what looks like a tyre change. Any recommendations for a safe cleaning product for them and should i do anything about the graze to stop moisture getting in.

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
The horror stories relate to a manufacturing defect, at least some of which were accepted as warranty fixes. If yours is not showing corrosion by now then you don;t have the problem and probably will not but any damage to the laquer layer will expose the underlying alloy and this can be a seat of corrosion. Have a careful look at the graze to see if it has penetrated the laquer and/or give it a touch up anyway. Any wheel cleaner will be fine - I don't use one, I just snow foam the car and use the pressure washer to clean up the wheels.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, i expect the wheels have either been refurbed or replaced at some point due to them being like new, unless previous owner was ultra careful with them the last 3 years, That said the whole car is almost like new so could be just well looked after. I was thinking of cleaning then touching up the graze with some clear lacquer painted into the graze with a small brushto seal it.

I think it might be time to get some snow foam and start cleaning the car with it, currently we dont have a power washer but have been meaning to get one so ill look for one that i can attach a snow foam applicator...

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
My wheels (66 plate MY17) are also pristine apart from one ding which was entirely my fault. They have not been refurbished or replaced. As I said there was a maunfacturing problem but AFAIK it has been addressed and I anyway it did not affect every wheel.

Clear lacquer is the way to go.

WRT snow foam:

Understand that it is not a complete contactless cleaning solution (at least in my experience)

I first give a quick pressure wash all over, including wheels, and then coat half of the car with snow foam.

Then go over all foamed surfaces with a micro fibre wash mitt (but not the wheels).

Rinse with the pressure washer (including wheels)

Repeat for the other side of the car.

If I am feeling particularly keen, wipe over wheels and the reveals with a micro fibre cloth reserved only for that purpose.

If I am feeling even more keen, wipe windows with a clean micro fibre cloth.

It takes less time than you might think.

I do it in two halves because I have found that if the foam dries out it leaves smeary marks.

Then take car for a drive to

a) Blow away the drips and runs
and
b) use the brakes to dry out the discs before leaving the car - this greatly reduces disc corrosion.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the detailed explanation im going to order a washer and attachment etc, we live in the country so its a right pain keeping cars clean. Its mud in the winter then dust in the summer with the farmers working on the local land. Cars already got a layer of dust on it and only had it a few days...

·
Registered
665 Posts
I personally don't use a jetwash on wheels, just the hose.
With regard to protection, I use poorboys wheel sealant and it appears to have done me proud on umpteen wheels over the years.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts