Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a one year old spotage. In the last few day it has been cutting out when im driving, I have taken it to a kia dealer and they are telling me that its where I get my fuel from. { morrisons supermarket } and that the fuel is contaminated, and i need a new fuel filter. has anyone else had this problem.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi PRWK

I can't believe this but my Kia dealer has just told me exactly the same. My sportage is only 6 months old. The dealer claims all of this work conveniently falls outside of the warranty. I personally don't believe it is contaminated fuel because surely given that I only buy my diesel from my local sainsburys you would imagine there would be 100's of people with same problem as we have judging by the amount of fuel sainsburys sell Does yours display the engine malfunction symbol on the dash. Mine will drive for no more than a few miles and will then cut out without no warning or anything. I just don't know what to do in all honesty do you trust what they say or are they saying this because it's an easy option to pass buck. Let me know how you get on

Nathan

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi there,

Yet another 'contaminated fuel' problem here too! My Sportage is 10 months old and had exactly the same problem this morning with the cutting out and with the engine malfunction light on. Had a fantastic RAC man out to help and he ran a diagnostic which gave a fuel pressure problem code. Limped into the dealer cutting out several times along the way only to be told that they are not paying as I've apparently put contaminateddiesel in the car. How they could tell this without leaving their desk let along removing the fuel cap is quite a skill. I will be requesting a full analytical report from an accredited laboratoryon a fuel sample taken from my car before I accept any of this cr*p. I got my fuel from Tesco so we're not all using the same garage either! I wonder why all other cars in our area are not having the same problem

Rose

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Nathan,Sorry its taken me so long to get back to you. I have spoken to two independant garages and also kia customer services, and they all say that the problem has been brought to there attention from a number of dealers and they are looking onto it. I had to get it rectified as its my wifes car and she needs it for work, so i had to pay £70 for a new fuel filter. Also when i was there they told me there was a recall on for the vacuum pump causing reduction in engine power and braking efficiency. They also say that the inteligent stop & go system fitted to the car, has an auto stop deactivated warning display on the dash and should this illuminate while driving it may indicate inadiquate vacuum, and loss of power. so if you havent already heard about the recall, then contact youre dealer and inform them.

hope this was off some help to you.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi PRWK

thanks for your post i will definitely chase up KIA about the recall. As for my sportage all back on the road now had to pay £65 for privilege which was a new filter and a bit of labour crazy really given these cars have 7 year warranty. It just looks to me like KIA will do there up-most to wriggle out of any warranty work. And yeah mine is a diesel to as were the other 6-7 i have heard of.

regards
Nathan

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a Sportage (05) and have had the problem of car cutting out and engine light lighting up on the dash. I did a web search and came across a forum where one guy suggested unscrewing the diesel cap and putting it back on again! Incidentally, I had the problem immediately after filling up!! I did what he said and hey presto.... problem solved and light went out. He said it was something to do with the pressure, the cap has a one way pressure valve of some kind. Anyway, that was months ago.......

I now have the same problem, car cutting out and engine warning light illuminated :eek:( no amount of diesel cap manipulation seems to solve the problem. Assuming the diesel cap could be the problem (faulty valve?) could I try driving the car with the cap loose allowing constant pressure? or would the cars electronic system have a problem with the cap not being in place correctly?

Try the 'cap on - cap off' gents and see it it works for you? fingers crossed.

Mike

·
Registered
45 Posts
I spoke to Kia in epsom (very decent buch might I add), they mentioned that there was a recall on the rear brake lights relay. Basically this plays up and cuts power to the engine causing loss of power / juddering. might be worth investigating on here....

·
Registered
3 Posts
My other half has got the letter for the recall on her 2011 Sportage. Anyway, further to my problem above......SORTED! It was a dirty fuel filter. Which was a bit of a surprise as it was supposed to have been changed a couple of years ago in a major service and I've only done about 12,000 miles in those two years. I took it to Quick Fit and they changed it for me. I asked them to have a look at the fuel filter that was on the car and as far as they were concerned it probably hadn't been changed at all (Grrrrr) Not the first time Kia dealers have not done what they were paid to do.... the last time was about 5 years ago when I had some work done on the car and also asked for an oil/filter change. When I checked the oil a couple of days later it was black as the ace of spades :-O obviously it hadn't been changed at all (another Grrrrrrr) Had a few words with them but got absolutely nowhere, hence the reason why I now avoid Kia deals like the plague.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Heard of a Ford Focus cutting out up here in the NE last week. Guess what the Ford garage said? "it is because you have been using supermarket fuel" £70 for a filter replacement. Kia dealers are not alone!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts