Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning all

I have a 2005 Kia Sportage auto diesel. It has been trouble since it was purchased in Aug. 10. Prior to delivery the turbo was replaced then within 4 hours of collecting the car it was returned to the garage for another month of repairs. In Jan, this year the car started to run badly and smoke quite a bit especially when cold [more than an old diesel truck I owned in the 1970s!]. The garage claimed that this fixed was but the vehicle was not right so back it went for another week of repairs. When the car was collected I drove to the Alps for a skiing holiday. Again the cold weather and the steep mountains showed the fault up this time worse than ever. Lots of smoke no power on hills and uneven engine at idle and at speed. The car was returned to the garage at the end of the holiday where it has remained for the last five weeks. Over this five weeks the car has been fitted with three different CPUs all of which have been declared as wrong or defective by the garage although the third CPU was delivered to the garage after checks to the unit prior to dispatch. I believe the CPU is a Bosch product.

Can you help?

Thanks Greg

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes it is a Kia dealership. After my call to them today I would describe them as ineffective rather than incompetent.

LATEST NEWS>>

The original CPU was replaced with a new unit but this did not work at all. The old CPU was re-installed and the car worked but the idling fault remained. The throttle was replaced but this did not cure the problem and all the wiring loom has been checked , twice!! The 2nd new CPU arrived and was fitted and you guessed it this one this did not work at all just like the first. The old CPU was re-installed and the car worked but with the idling problem. After more calls to KIA in both the UK and Korea the third CPU arrived that was described as being "from a different batch". Again just like the previous two this did not work at all.

The Bosch CPUs supplied by KIA arrives pre-programmed and according to the mechanic it is not accessible for interrogation or modification unlike some other CPUs where the program file can be loaded on site and accessed for various features. This is to prevent unauthorised "re-mapping" apparently.

Next stage..... I am writing to the MD of the garage to ask him to take charge of the correspondence with KIA in person. Clearly those working on the shop floor are getting nowhere.

·
Registered
197 Posts
So is the problem in the CPU or elsewhere? I had a similar fault with a Fiat and it was in the emission control system (the dreaded EGR).

·
Registered
662 Posts
sounds like an egr issue but why does it run with 1 ECU and not another
egr's give all the symptomspoor idle, non starting, lack of power, excessive smoke and they are not a monitored function so show no codes strange one

unfortunately when an issue get this far down the line it can be a slow process with KIA asking for specific tests to be done and then reporting back back to technical or Korea so it can be a frustrating time for both customer and dealership believe me your dealer wants that car fixed and gone from his workshop more than you can believe so he can get back to earning some money to pay the staff and overheads

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you for the suggestion that it may be an EGR issue, I will follow this up with the garage.

Working with another branch of technology myself I do understand how difficult some problems can be to solve. The issue I have with the garage is the lack of communication by the front desk staff with me the customer. To the credit of the garage they have provided a replacement vehicle but they do seem to lack urgency in resolving the situation. I do feel that they only move when prompted by me. On my last visit to the garage I had the good fortune to meet a mechanic who knew about my car and had assisted his colleague on one occasion. He was the source for my LATEST NEWS post above and this information is so much better than the usual reply from my garage which is "we will call you when we have any news".

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
One week later and still no reply from the garage when I offered the suggestion that it may be related to the emissions control system........

Now I am about to write another stern email to the garage but I am getting very close to seeking legal assistance!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.