Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 18 month old 2.0 4x4 sportage gives a clunk and a slight jerk when it reaches 20 mpg and just before it comes to a stop when in 2 wheel drive. It does not happen when in 4 wheel drive. The garage tell me some rubbish about there being more tread on the 2 back tyres than the front. Can anyone help as they seem mystified.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Yes I have seen this mention on other posts, if tyre wear is different between front and back with the 4 wheel drive.
Need to rotate the wheels around to even the wear.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Hi I have a sorento and I was told by a Kia garage in Beckenham tyre tread depth doeshave a bearing on the drive working correctly ie if you loose grip on the rear the drive is transfered to the front.The max tread difference is 3mm.It may be the same on yours.Also oil should be changed at 20,000 miles in the front and rear diffs also the transfer box if the Sportage has the same set up this should apply.
bigjames

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi all
I have a 2007 4wd Sportage, 33000 miles. Today it has started clunking at about 5 mph when turning steering wheel left or right. The noise seems to come from the front suspension and sounds like a dry joint. Newish tyres on the front - on the rear they are a new one and a worn one. Any connection with the previous posts?

Any help much appreciated as I have a long trip to do on Monday.

·
Registered
662 Posts
tyre depth only applies to Sorento , NOT SPORTAGE sportage issue more likely to be incorrect diff oils causeing LSD to grab its usual to feel small kick when comming to a stop on occasions but this should not be there at 20 mph

1 - 7 of 7 Posts