Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
66 plate Sportage KX4
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m considering a Sportage as my next car.
ive done some searching. But there are some questions the dealers seems pretty clueless with answers.
The wife would like to have the 180bhp version (kx-4).
I’ve also been looking online at the Gt-line-S, but can only find these in an automatic?
Are they available in manual?
Is the auto box any good or does it lag?
Any major mechanical worries from the sportage or the 180 engine?
Is the warranty any good? Or does it only cover a few items?
Does it need to be full Kia service history or will full service history from any garage cover the warranty?

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
I’m considering a Sportage as my next car.
ive done some searching. But there are some questions the dealers seems pretty clueless with answers.
The wife would like to have the 180bhp version (kx-4).
I’ve also been looking online at the Gt-line-S, but can only find these in an automatic?
Are they available in manual?
Is the auto box any good or does it lag?
Any major mechanical worries from the sportage or the 180 engine?
Does it need to be full Kia service history or will full service history from any garage cover the warranty?
Hello, and welcome to the forum.

I would have thought that most of your questons could be answered by using the Kia Configurator so that you can see what engine and transmission options are available for the trim level you ideally want. You don't say which country you are in and the options might be different.

Having done that, book a test drive for you and your wife,l have the auto box and don't find any problems with it, you may feel differently.

I am astounded that your dealer can't answer these questions, and they should definitely be able to talk you through the warranty. Servicing is allowed at an independent garage, but there are conditions to be complied with to protect the warranty if you do.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Sportage 4 T-gdi
385 Posts
Very happy with the 18 month old tgdi Sportage 4 I bought a few weeks ago. It's the 7 speed auto, and you can drive it as a semi auto/manual if you want.
My insurance company (Aviva) puts the gt line s, 5 insurance groups higher. There are differences, of course, just get a catalogue downloaded and see what you really need. Personally, I feel that the 4 is better value overall and that's why there's one on my drive.
Also remember that an auto transmission is usually fully warranted, whereas a 'normal' clutch manual isn't due to a clutch being a wearing part.
Not certain the dct is considered the same way though.

Reactions: GBGraham

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
Welcome to the forum, 'SiW'.

I echo the comments of 'Alanw47' but I would like to offer my take on your questions about warranty. First, the warranty is excellent and provides 7 years of worry-free motoring giving bumper-to-bumper cover with only a handful of exceptions, common to nearly all manufacturers.

You can have your KIA serviced anywhere you wish but although you may save a little cash by entrusting the vehicle to an independent for servicing, should you encounter any problems requiring work that you believe should be covered by the warranty, you may find KIA do not agree with your view. Don't get me wrong; KIA would respect the warranty but you and any independent(s) you have paid to service the vehicle would have to jump through many hoops before paying out for work under the terms of the warranty.

Any new car warranty is in essence a contract between the manufacturer and the owner(s). The manufacturer will provide the warranty, which is transferrable, as laid down in the terms and conditions; the other side of the bargain requires the owner(s) to adhere rigidly to the servicing schedule described in the owner's handbook; for most owners that would mean a once-yearly service. Obviously, high mileage drivers would require more frequent servicing.

In summary, if you like the idea of a guarantee that remains valid for 7 years from new, risking that cover in order to save a few quid at each service is, in my view, a false economy. Should you be looking at a used car, you must, absolutely must, ensure that the service record is perfectly in compliance with KIA's schedule and it makes good sense to avoid any car that has been maintained or even partially maintained outside of the KIA dealer network.

Hyundai/KIA have proved to be very reliable by and large, standing up well in the reliability ratings for all makes so, given my expressed views, they make good, sensible cars, new or used. There will always be dissenters, of course, as in any car forum, but their views are massively outweighed by satisfied owners who don't need to join an owners' forum to whinge about their car problems.

Just as an aside, I'm a big fan of DCT vehicles but I also enjoy traditional, fluid-driven gearboxes and will never return to three-pedal motoring.

Good luck in securing a nice Kia Sportage.

·
Super Moderator
3,410 Posts
So I assume you are looking for the 2.0 litre diesel 182bhp engine? I may be wrong, but I don't think the 'GT-Line S' had a manual version of that engine, the 'GT-Line' did. I am fairly sure the KX-4 had a manual version. They may not be all that common, try Kia used car search, there will be a few on there.

·
Registered
2017 Sportage GT Line S - 1.6T DCT
522 Posts
Note that the 182hp 2.0 diesel engine version is actually not the quickest Sportage - that crown belongs to the 174hp 1.6 petrol. Smaller engine, slightly less powerful engine BUT considerably lighter so easily outperforms the diesel.

I have the 1.6 Petrol 174 with the auto (DCT) box. DCT stands for Double Clutch Transmission which makes it a VERY quick shifting box. Way quicker than a manual.

·
Super Moderator
3,410 Posts
I should have added, I had a 2017 KX-2 with the 2.0 engine and it was a good car. The engine is powerful enough, but don't expect amazing MPG, this is a big heavy lump and has the aero-dynamics of a breeze block. Some of the early 2016-17 facelift cars had noisy steering, which groaned horribly when the weather was cold. Also some owners complained of notchy steering. Both problems have fixes, but worth looking out for them when you test drive. Do a search on this forum there is plenty of info about the steering issues.
Also make sure the SD-Card is in the sat nav, it doesn't work without it and push the dealer to update the sat nav before you collect, it's a £70 fee otherwise. Makes sure the service book is up to date and correct, the 7 year warranty is only valid with correct servicing.

·
Registered
66 plate Sportage KX4
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the information especially regarding the auto gearbox.
servicing wise I’d prefer to use my local trusted garage and just make sure they do a service covered by Kia.
I’ve looked at the specs of the petrol version, but the MPG seems to be quite low in comparison, so likely to go for the diesel.
what are the main differences between the 130 and 180 diesel? Completely different engines or just different ECU maps?
I’m I realise every car type will have some failures (my current Mazda needed two new turbos and can shafts after I had it for two weeks)

·
Registered
96 Posts
When it comes to the cost of fuel, you need to do the maths rather than just looking at mpg figures. Petrol is cheaper than diesel, and the cars themselves are usually cheaper to buy. You need to work out the cost of fuel for your anticipated mileage each year, and then see how long it will take for the extra cost of diesel to be recouped at the pump. I do about 5-6k a year and worked out it would be well over 2 years before I would break even on buying the diesel. My car (174bhp turbo petrol) is showing a rolling average of 33mpg, I don't suppose I'd be getting more than about 40 for the closest equivalent (2.0 diesel 180bhp). Then you have more concerns about EGR and DPFs on diesels, and you can buy an awful lot of petrol for the cost of fixing one of those. Plus, I like an engine to be smooth and quiet - on the petrol you barely notice the engine is even running when sitting at the lights or in traffic.

·
Registered
66 plate Sportage KX4
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Been looking at the spec and the KX-4 seems to be more on par with my current Mazda. The GT line looks good but not quite what the wife wants.
managed to find a kx-4 about 40 miles away, but the local dealer is looking to move it totheir stock for me to test drive

·
Registered
2017 Sportage 2L AWD
34 Posts
Been looking at the spec and the KX-4 seems to be more on par with my current Mazda. The GT line looks good but not quite what the wife wants.
managed to find a kx-4 about 40 miles away, but the local dealer is looking to move it totheir stock for me to test drive
I picked up my first Kia a few days ago,it`s the KX4 2.0L diesel. 182 bhp . Love it although I haven`t done many miles on it yet. Loads of standard extras on it

·
Registered
12 Posts
I bought a manual KX-4 in the summer. It's 182 BHP and I love it.

GT-Line S 2017 only available as an auto and same with the rare KX-5. Only sig difference over the KX-4 is styling with the GT_Line S although you lose the vented front seats. You gain power tailgate though as you do with the KX-5.

I went for the KX-4 because I could get it in a manual. It's (allegedly) slightly better on fuel, cheaper to buy and the missus doesn't like driving an auto.

I think you've made a good choice given the suggested higher insurance cost of the GT-Line S.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.