Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2017 KIA Sportage GT Line S
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. 1st post here and hoping someone can help! My vehicle is a Sept 2017 Sportage GT Line S auto with 29K on the clock. Every now & then and only when creeping along at 1-10mph in traffic queues, there is a ‘clonk’ and what feels like another vehicle gently bumping into mine from behind...this is accompanied by the AUTO HOLD light coming on in orange (ie not the usual white when manually selected), the car feels as though the brakes are engaged as I try to pull away and the rev counter moves up & down erratically without me touching the accelerator. On a number of occasions, I’ve also had the hill descent light, the EPB light and the Traction Control symbol illuminated as well - see attached photo!! Once the faults arise, pressing the Auto Hold switch or the hill descent switch has no effect. The only solution is to stop the vehicle and turn off the ignition in order to reset everything. My local Kia dealer couldn’t reproduce the fault(s) so couldn’t fix it OR explain what might be causing it. Their only suggestion was that I may have wired my dash cam in incorrectly...

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
4,478 Posts
Hi & Welcome.
I have moved to Sportage section so owners can respond.

Given the dash cam, I guess it is hard wired to a fuse? Have you tried removing the connection or using a different point for power? To rule it out.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Many thanks for responding, iooi. My dash cam is hard-wired as per the BlackVue fitting instructions. I haven’t tried to change the fuses over as I really can’t see how this can be related to (what appears to be) an electronic brake fault. The big problem is that the problem only occurs now & again and only in slow-moving traffic...surely if the two were linked it would happen at other times/at other speeds? 😳

·
Super Moderator
4,478 Posts
I would agree. I take it that you are using a piggyback fuse, so which fuse is it connected to?

Problem is with Canbus systems anything is possible.
Other option could be a faulty sensor, or there is a issue with the DCT box overheating in slow moving traffic when you are just crawling along.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yep...using a piggyback fuse so will check it out at the weekend and update accordingly. Many thanks 👍🏻

·
Registered
Sportage 2017 (67) 1.7 crdi manual
92 Posts
Auto hold as in when you're sat on a slight incline and the brakes hold for a couple of seconds? Mine does that but I've never seen a light on the dash when it does.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Sportage GT-Line CRDi
1,503 Posts
Auto hold as in when you're sat on a slight incline and the brakes hold for a couple of seconds? Mine does that but I've never seen a light on the dash when it does.
Auto Hold (see image) is the function that operates when the button on the central console (next to drivers seat). What you are referring to is Hill Start Assist.

Attachments

·
Registered
Sportage 2017 (67) 1.7 crdi manual
92 Posts
Auto Hold (see image) is the function that operates when the button on the central console (next to drivers seat). What you are referring to is Hill Start Assist.
Ahh, I dont beleive I have that button. I have isg off, downhill assist and reverse sensors off.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Sportage GT-Line CRDi
1,503 Posts
Maybe it's an addition to later cars, or model specific. This is my cars centre console button.

Attachments

·
Registered
281 Posts
You are stuck if the garage is blaming the dash cam... The only solution IMO is to disconnect the dash cam and then return to the dealer (if the problem occurs again) or take it to another dealer.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Many thanks guys for all the input so far which is much appreciated 👍🏻

·
Registered
382 Posts
Piggyback fuses are a total bodge for fitting devices. I'm amazed that people do this and that device manufacturers actually promote it.

Not only have they been confirmed as the source of multiple vehicle fires, they also can damage sensitive vehicle electronics - and at the very least are an excuse for vehicle manufacturers to back out of any electrical-related warranty claims.

Not saying your dashcam is the cause of your issues, but by having piggy-back fused it, you're really on your own now and if your SAM/BCM module is fried because of it, you're going to be looking at a very large bill to resolve...

·
Super Moderator
4,478 Posts
Another thing with piggy back fuses. Is you need to ensure they are fitted the correct way round. Or the fuse is taken out of the feed. Which is why as per above some have had fires. Its User error.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Piggyback fuses are a total bodge for fitting devices. I'm amazed that people do this and that device manufacturers actually promote it.

Not only have they been confirmed as the source of multiple vehicle fires, they also can damage sensitive vehicle electronics - and at the very least are an excuse for vehicle manufacturers to back out of any electrical-related warranty claims.

Not saying your dashcam is the cause of your issues, but by having piggy-back fused it, you're really on your own now and if your SAM/BCM module is fried because of it, you're going to be looking at a very large bill to resolve...
[/QUOT
Another thing with piggy back fuses. Is you need to ensure they are fitted the correct way round. Or the fuse is taken out of the feed. Which is why as per above some have had fires. Its User error.
Apart from the instructions and a video on BlackVue’s own website showing the piggyback method, any advice on how to do it (other than tapping into the loom which surely runs the risk of negating the 7-year warranty) would be most appreciated.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I ran a long cable under the carpet & into the rear USB port - no wiring was hurt in the making of this picture & therefore no warranty voided...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I ran a long cable under the carpet & into the rear USB port - no wiring was hurt in the making of this picture & therefore no warranty voided...

View attachment 10271
Many thanks for your input, 137699. Due to unforeseen circs, I didn’t get around to rewiring at the weekend so am still running on piggy-back fuses without further problems yet. When I get around to it, I’m going to try plugging straight into one of the 12v sockets (there are 2 on my console + the USB fitting) to establish if it’s the Power Magic Pro that’s causing the problem. This will of course leave me without parking mode...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts