Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently bought a 1996 2lt petrol sportage 2 weeks ago. I had a few faults to put right as you normally do with a 2nd hand car, rocker gasket leak, clutch slave cylinder, and a new thermostate because the expansion tank keeps bubbling after a journey (havent stopped this yet though). But I am new to 4x4's and this is puzzling me. The car drives ok in 2wd but when i select 4wd H the car seems to drive as if i have a binding breakand feels like I am having to force it to drive. at very low speed, like when backing of the drive or crawling forward the car will stop if i dip the clutch with it in gear just like the hand brake is on. all the brakes are fine and it only does it in 4wd and not in 2wd. Any idea's or comon faults i should know about. could it just need the diff, thetransfer boxand gear box oils changing. please help a new 4x4 novice. thanks in advance, Alan.

·
Registered
5 Posts
i got same problem with mine its sounds like you hubs arent engaging as they work on a vacum system they have rubber pipes which attach to hubs
these on mine are all split and sucked up dirt into pipe work i may have to renew all metal pipe work for the vacum system

<TABLE id=post318948 =tborder border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" align=center itxt="1">
<T itxt="1">
<TR vAlign=top itxt="1">
<TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #ffffff 1px solid" id=td_post_318948 =alt1 itxt="1">
<DIV id=post_message_318948 itxt="1">Here is wot i found on here its ive just coppied it <BR itxt="1"><BR itxt="1"><BR itxt="1">With the engine switched OFF and the 4 wheels drive OFF the front drive shaft has to be free of rotating, try to rotate it by hand at least for one complete revolution.<BR itxt="1"><BR itxt="1">With the engine switched OFF and the 4 wheels drive ON the front drive shaft has to be NOT free of rotating, try to rotate it by hand at least for one complete revolution.<BR itxt="1"><BR itxt="1">With the engine switched OFF, 4 wheels drive either ON or OFF, hand brake ON, gear in park positon (or neutral position if manual), wheels chocked, raise one of the front wheels and try to rotate it, it should be free of rotating. Switch the engine ON, activate the 4 wheels drive, now the raised wheel should NOT be free of rotating. Switch the engine OFF and lower the wheel. Repeat the same test with the other front wheel.<BR itxt="1"><BR itxt="1">Any behavior different from those above means that there is something out of order.<BR itxt="1"><BR itxt="1">For best testing you would need an hand vacuum pump.<BR itxt="1"><BR itxt="1">If your Sportage four wheels drive doesn't work I can probably guide you step by step to find the cause, and maybe to fix it.<BR itxt="1"><BR itxt="1">At the end of the testing remember to switch the four wheels drive OFF!
</TD></TR>
<TR itxt="1">
<TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #ffffff 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #ffffff 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #ffffff 0px solid; BORDER-RIGHT: #ffffff 1px solid" =alt2 itxt="1">
</TD>
<TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #ffffff 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #ffffff 0px solid; BORDER-TOP: #ffffff 0px solid; BORDER-RIGHT: #ffffff 1px solid" =alt1 align=right itxt="1">
</TD></TR></T></TABLE>

·
Registered
682 Posts
Alan Welcome, it could be that your system is working OK
If you have put it into 4 WD then all wheels will be driving together.

Also most systems will only work upto 20 MPH over this you will destroy the transmission.

Bob.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Alan welcome

4wd is designed to be used in slippery muddy conditions do not drive on the road with the 4x4 engaged as your gearbox wont last long read your handbook it gives very clear advice and a full discription of the systems you dont say how old your sportage is nealy's comments relate to the early sportage if your car is a mk2 sportage then the car simply has 4x4 lock button and this locks the transmission so equal drive is to all 4 wheels and should only be used in mud

·
Registered
82 Posts
I watched a program on an obscure freeview channel which explained the design limitations of 4x4 using the Wilies Jeep as an example of how to circumvent these issues. In any car when you turn a corner the rear wheels follow round in a wider arc than the front thereby travelling faster than the front wheels. On a 4x4 transmission the wheels are forced to all turn at the same speed. Thats why you can't drive over 20 mph as you can only corner very slowly and in a wider arc in 4x4 mode. The jeep was the first sucessful 4x4 as it had a disengagment lever to switch to 2wd on firm surfaces. I noticed the increase in load on my engine when I tried 4x4 lock on a forest track that would explain the binding break sensation.
I always assumed 4x4 transmissions were advanced enough for permanent 4x4 drive but apparently it's only new high tech systems have that ability. I missed the bit explaining about Audi Quattro and why it was a technological break through in 4x4 drives.Might have something to do with a centre differential or something.

Of course the owners of the newSportage don't such worries I believe as they have superior transmissions.

Hope that helps explain some of the 4x4 characteristics to anyone else as clueless as me.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi .I had a problem with my mark one ,i,ve been told that a mark one has too be in neutral on the main box then with no clutch select 4 wheel drive high then depress clutch and select 1st gear max speed 20mph on road other wise you can destory the gearbox as someone has already said.I think it must be the mark two's that have vacume but it may be electric

1 - 6 of 6 Posts