Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
On Order: Sportage GT Line S PHEV in Infra Red
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am very lucky to have a "3" trim PHEV in Black for the weekend thanks to the Kia Business Team and while i will put a few words together after the weekend in a mini review style, i wanted to post a couple of photos and my initial thoughts.

The interior is as "wow" as everyone says it is, the dual 12" screens have a massive impact and actually look a lot larger in real life than I expected from photos/review videos. They seem easy to use but with a lot of options (even on a 3 spec car). It was easy to get comfy in the front seat (im 6' 1) as well as postion the steering wheel without obsuring the dials. I havent driven it yet so opinions on that will come later.

One of the key reasons for me wanting a test drive was to check clearance for the large rear facing child seat with have for our daugther, and it looks like that should fit fine. One thing i have noticed already is a lack of foot room in the rear, this is due to the placement of the PHEV battery and creates a notiable step up into the rear that you dont feel getting in to the front. Not sure if this will mean we swap my wife to behind the passenger seat, meaning we can raise that up as its rarely occupied, time will tell when we get our own car delivered on this i think.

Boot wise its easily as large as my current Volvo V90 and thats saying something. On paper its actually the same size (540l) but i was worried in a car 0.4m shorter. I can say that it looks like the only boot space lost in the PHEV compared with the ICE versions is under the floor as i cant see any intrusions or anything that lifts the boot floor. This is incidentially completely flat from boot lip to seat back.

One final point before i actually head off to drive it is that it appears that PHEVs come with both a Type 2 cable as well as a Granny 3 pin charger lead, or at least this one has both in the boot (and still in their bags so not sure if its ever actually been charged!).

I will be updating this thread with more points and photos over the weekend, and if anyone has any questions or things they would like me to check, photo or describe please let me know as im happy to take requests!

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Land vehicle

Car Vehicle Tire Wheel Automotive tire

Reactions: mah006

·
Registered
105 Posts
I am very lucky to have a "3" trim PHEV in Black for the weekend thanks to the Kia Business Team and while i will put a few words together after the weekend in a mini review style, i wanted to post a couple of photos and my initial thoughts.

The interior is as "wow" as everyone says it is, the dual 12" screens have a massive impact and actually look a lot larger in real life than I expected from photos/review videos. They seem easy to use but with a lot of options (even on a 3 spec car). It was easy to get comfy in the front seat (im 6' 1) as well as postion the steering wheel without obsuring the dials. I havent driven it yet so opinions on that will come later.

One of the key reasons for me wanting a test drive was to check clearance for the large rear facing child seat with have for our daugther, and it looks like that should fit fine. One thing i have noticed already is a lack of foot room in the rear, this is due to the placement of the PHEV battery and creates a notiable step up into the rear that you dont feel getting in to the front. Not sure if this will mean we swap my wife to behind the passenger seat, meaning we can raise that up as its rarely occupied, time will tell when we get our own car delivered on this i think.

Boot wise its easily as large as my current Volvo V90 and thats saying something. On paper its actually the same size (540l) but i was worried in a car 0.4m shorter. I can say that it looks like the only boot space lost in the PHEV compared with the ICE versions is under the floor as i cant see any intrusions or anything that lifts the boot floor. This is incidentially completely flat from boot lip to seat back.

One final point before i actually head off to drive it is that it appears that PHEVs come with both a Type 2 cable as well as a Granny 3 pin charger lead, or at least this one has both in the boot (and still in their bags so not sure if its ever actually been charged!).

I will be updating this thread with more points and photos over the weekend, and if anyone has any questions or things they would like me to check, photo or describe please let me know as im happy to take requests!

View attachment 16000
View attachment 16001
Many thanks ! I love the car and all the tech but I do think adjusting some settings on the controls off to the left that alternate between climate and navigation etc could be a challenge when driving - my sense is try to get this settings right before heading off or get the passenger to do it eg on motorway. Thoughts on this appreciated thanks.

·
Registered
Sportage 2022 4 spec PHEV
15 Posts
Thanks for this, I have a "4" Phev on order so very interested to hear your thoughts after the weekend.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Yes, 2 cables are standard supply, 5m of Type 2 (the bigger end fits the car, the slightly smaller fits charge point).
The 13 amp charger will take about 7 hours from "emptyish" to full....
The type 2 lead should be 7Kwh rated and therefore charge (if everything else is 7Kwh rated) in just about 2 hours.
Enjoy!!

Reactions: dhb

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I do think adjusting some settings on the controls off to the left that alternate between climate and navigation etc could be a challenge when driving - my sense is try to get this settings right before heading off or get the passenger to do it eg on motorway. Thoughts on this appreciated thanks.
I havent tried to do anything while driving yet but on my current Volvo there arent any phyiscal buttons at all so any adjustment is fully via the touchscreen. So i am expecting the Kia to be better than this - but not as good as phyiscal buttons would be. However, i do think its something you would get used to over time. I will update my thoughts once ive been out and used the controls in anger.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well just had my first outing, a couple of local stops and a total of 8 miles.

Its lovely. Its really, really nice to drive. Visibility is great all around, its nice to be sat up higher too. Steering is light, its responsive to pull away and has a burst of acceleration should you need it too. I was actually averaging 69mpg until the last 1/2 mile from home (long uphill and i booted it lol). However, 47mpg is great considering my current Diesel would be around 38mpg on the same route.

Simple things i will missed though - the boot is very basic. I currently have an automatic retracting load cover which i didnt realise how convinient it was to not have to manually push that back when carrying bags (1st world problem i know lol). Also there is nothing dividing the boot at all so bags fall over, again nothing major but perhaps i should drive nicer and then my mpg will be better and the bags will stay upright!!

Final point - the stereo. This doesnt have the upgraded Harmon Kardon but its not good compared with my current car. Its really flat and struggles (via bluetooth audio) to actually be loud enough over a high fan speed due to the heat etc. Slightly disappionted.

More to come...

·
Registered
MY22 Sportage GT Line S HEV FWD
100 Posts
Final point - the stereo. This doesnt have the upgraded Harmon Kardon but its not good compared with my current car. Its really flat and struggles (via bluetooth audio) to actually be loud enough over a high fan speed due to the heat etc. Slightly disappionted.
Don‘t hold your hopes up the HK system …. it’s pretty gutless too compared to other premium brands, such as B&O or Bose, imho.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
So we're not the only ones disappointed with the Harman Kardon system! We need it into the 40's range when 12 was loud enough in the previous Sporty..... Was expecting to have to dive into the bass/treble balance etc aspects to try and improve. I thought it might be DAB related.

·
Registered
on order GTs hybrid 4wd
369 Posts
So we're not the only ones disappointed with the Harman Kardon system! We need it into the 40's range when 12 was loud enough in the previous Sporty..... Was expecting to have to dive into the bass/treble balance etc aspects to try and improve. I thought it might be DAB related.
It's a 3 so no HK

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
A longer run this morning, 40 miles round trip. 20 on motorway and cross country back. 40mpg overall, crap for a PHEV but given how I was driving coming back its not too bad. Just done a similar run in my Volvo and that gave 36mpg so the Kia is winning on fuel economy right now.

Used the Adaptive Cruise/Highway Drive Assist on the motorway and its very good, on par with the AutoPilot in my Volvo. It behaves differently in some situations (changing lanes is better, braking for cars in front is a little later) but it works and should take the strain out of long motorway journeys. I read the thread on this subject on this forum but the Kia system reacts to the same things the Volvo does - its just how these things work - and if you get used to the "quirks" it can be a large help to you.

It rides very well considering its weight and wheel size, in fact it rides very well full stop. Its no worse than the V90, and thats supposed to be one of the more comfortable cars on the road. Its easy to place on the road too, steering doesnt have any feel but its not like i need to find the apex on a race track just avoid pot holes and badly parked cars on narrow town streets, and for that its perfect.

I am going to miss it when it goes back on Monday until my own arrives and i think that is high praise for a car.

·
Registered
105 Posts
A longer run this morning, 40 miles round trip. 20 on motorway and cross country back. 40mpg overall, crap for a PHEV but given how I was driving coming back its not too bad. Just done a similar run in my Volvo and that gave 36mpg so the Kia is winning on fuel economy right now.

Used the Adaptive Cruise/Highway Drive Assist on the motorway and its very good, on par with the AutoPilot in my Volvo. It behaves differently in some situations (changing lanes is better, braking for cars in front is a little later) but it works and should take the strain out of long motorway journeys. I read the thread on this subject on this forum but the Kia system reacts to the same things the Volvo does - its just how these things work - and if you get used to the "quirks" it can be a large help to you.

It rides very well considering its weight and wheel size, in fact it rides very well full stop. Its no worse than the V90, and thats supposed to be one of the more comfortable cars on the road. Its easy to place on the road too, steering doesnt have any feel but its not like i need to find the apex on a race track just avoid pot holes and badly parked cars on narrow town streets, and for that its perfect.

I am going to miss it when it goes back on Monday until my own arrives and i think that is high praise for a car.
Many thanks for taking the time to post your feedback. How did you find accessing the toggable controls above the main console btw ? Saw a blue one out today with solid roof - definitely becoming a bit more commonplace.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
How did you find accessing the toggable controls above the main console btw ?
Quite straightforward, i left it on the media controls most of the time as i didnt find i needed to adjust the climate very often. There is also a setting that allows the switchable controls to auto-switch to your choice so i set this to the media controls, so even if i used the climate it switched back automatically after a few seconds. No issues at all.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yep, it has an engine...

Car Vehicle Hood Automotive design Motor vehicle

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Theres space under the foldable boot floor for the charging cables, tyre inflation kit and locking wheel nuts. You could get some other emergency items in there too i think.

Vehicle Hood Car Automotive tire Trunk

Heres why there is less underboot storage:
Hood Car Automotive tire Trunk Motor vehicle

The 12V battery and onboard 7.2kw charger is there.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
The batteries are bolted over the wheel recess, so it's possible to have items in soft bags (make sure the handles DON'T slide under!!) so you can still use it for some storage. Just try to avoid liquids or flammable items.

·
Registered
Sportage 2022 4 spec PHEV
15 Posts
Thanks very much for this. Doesn’t sound like I’m going to be disappointed. I’m not holding my breath for mine appearing yet though.

·
Registered
8 Posts

What was the battery state when you set off?

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
What was the battery state when you set off?
Empty, or there abouts.

It showed 0 miles electric range but did have about 17% I think. It went up to 20% and down to 13% during the drive. I've not seen any electric range at all - but then I haven't charged it either.

I specifically want to test mpg without charging, hence not charging it.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts