Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I bought a first edition two litre petrol sportage in march and discovered that when I was accelerating there is a flat spot. It is evident when first pulling away and between gear shifting. KIA have had the car for two weeks and haven't fixed the problem. Has any one else come across this?
Thanks in advance Paul

·
Registered
291 Posts
Its like the ignition has been turned off and on momentarily as you change up gear the faster you try to change the worse it is.I dont know if mine is getting better or if i am getting used to it but its not as bad as it was.Aced81 had same prob and his garage accepted there was something wrong but i dont know if he got it sorted.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi guys, thanks for your responses. I thought it was my gear changing, but the car defiantly has a fault. It has only done 600 miles from new. It's also a problem when pulling away, there is a delay when you engage the throttle, it is very unresponsive and to be honest a little scary, as it doesn't do what you expect it to. I spoke to the KIA garage yesterday and they still don't have a fix. I am getting very fed up with the response from KIA.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Its not just Kia dealers, had a C-Max before the Ceed, excellent car, no problems in 5 years other than a very strangely reading water temp gauge from day one. After 5 years we were still waiting for Ford to do a software fix according to the dealer. Luckily it did not stop the car performing normally, just very odd watching the water temp go down as the car heated up.

Paul

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
HGF69

All forums have threads where owners complain about dealers, its not just Kia. Just remember that out of the total number of forum members only a small percentage complain about dealers and only a small number of owners are aware forums exist. That means that the people who complain on here are an insignificant percentage and when you look at the magazine satisfaction surveys Kia dealers do pretty well.

Basically some people only come on here to moan and not discuss issues or help fellow forum members.

paul

·
Registered
141 Posts
i havehad the same problem at a garage years ago i worked at.
was doing the same thing your's is doing also starting to stall some time'sat a junction.

the problem was found to be the throttle position sensor not set correctly and a lean fuel mixture.

·
Registered
260 Posts
suttonseven said:
HGF69

All forums have threads where owners complain about dealers, its not just Kia. Just remember that out of the total number of forum members only a small percentage complain about dealers and only a small number of owners are aware forums exist. That means that the people who complain on here are an insignificant percentage and when you look at the magazine satisfaction surveys Kia dealers do pretty well.

Basically some people only come on here to moan and not discuss issues or help fellow forum members.

paul
And your point is? I'll tell it like I see it, if you dont like that tough. I'm only reporting my own experience.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Guys, I started this thread to see if anyone had experienced the same problem as I have. And it would seem that some have. I am now being told that this is normal for the car, this is ridiculous. Does any one have a 2 litre petrol wad 1st edition that does not have this problem? Your help is appreciate
Paul

·
Registered
153 Posts
Paul, I have a 2 litre petrol kX2 (not FE, but the mechanics are the same) and it seems to accelerate OK through the gears (touch wood!)

I did test drive one that had a bad hiccup when changing up while it was cold, but it seeemed to get over it as it warmed up.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks Sid and velcrohead, appreciate the feedback. I have just picked the car up and the problem is still there, it's more noticeable when driving reasonable hard, but there all the time.
Paul

·
Registered
97 Posts
Paul<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><O:p></O:p>
<O:p></O:p>
I drive vehicles at work that have this issue and it's so annoying!<O:p></O:p>
It'll simply be an issue caused by the ECU not correcting things properly. Every engine behaves differently, if your engine has a charactoristic that the ECU cannot adjust for (due to limitations dictated by it's software) then you can get problems like this.<O:p></O:p>
I'd take it to a good tuner (with a rolling road) and get them to do you a bespoke map whichCAN adjust to your engine's'charactoristic', and give you a nice smooth power curve while they're at it.<O:p></O:p>

Obviously KIA should be doing this, but if your engine's little'characteristic' is not common enough, there will be no ECU generic software update and anyway...who knows how long you would have to wait for that!Edited by: Arctic Paul

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Having the engine remapped will almost certainly invalidate the engine anddrive trainwarranty.

I still cannot understand why people think that a man in a shed can improve what Kia spend thousands of hours developing. Why should you spend hundreds of pound invalidating your warranty and risking damaging the engine of a new £20,000 car, crazy.Leave it to Kia to sort.

Paul

·
Registered
97 Posts
Suttonseven
You have to understand that car maufacturers create a generic map for a type of engine. They factor in numerous parameters to ensure the 'safety' ofengine components. Example, on petrol cars fueling is set uptorun too rich. This keeps the engine temp down and prevents degradation of the oil etc. However, oil degradation is not an issue if you look after the car and change the oil at least every 12K (although you should go it more frequently). Engines run better (and more efficiently) lean, but they run hotter. Engines in modern cars are set up to run so that they will last longer if owned by a numpty who rarely services it or looks after it.

Simply look after your car and there will never be a problem.

A bespoke map is better, no question. It is fact thatengines mass produced by 100's of thousandsbehave slightly differently to eachother due to number of factors. This means that the generic map will be slightly wrong for a % of the engines.

There areoptions available to you (i.e remote box)for the ECU to be flashed back to the OE map before taking to the dealers if you so wish, then returned to the bespoke map.

A good mapper usually is a 'man in a shed' (or a small garage), but they have a knowledge and understandingthat can boggle most minds! On the NA Sportage there will not be a great deal a mapper could do regarding 'performance' gains; they would however be able to smooth out the power curve and improve the engine's running/efficiency.

Paul
Edited by: Arctic Paul

·
Registered
260 Posts
suttonseven said:
Having the engine remapped will almost certainly invalidate the engine and drive train warranty.

I still cannot understand why people think that a man in a shed can improve what Kia spend thousands of hours developing. Why should you spend hundreds of pound invalidating your warranty and risking damaging the engine of a new £20,000 car, crazy. Leave it to Kia to sort.

Paul
Important to note it won't invalidate the WHOLE warranty. I asked KIA about other mods ie horns and wads told if there is an issue as a result if my mod to an area or part, that part is not fixable under warranty but that doesn't mean the other bits ar not.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
HGF69

That is what I said above, by remapping the engine you will only invalidate the engine and drive train warranty. Paint, rust, trim, electrics etc should still be warrantied but why anyone would want to risk their valuable 7 year warranty is beyond me. BMW want £450 a year for years 4 to 7, thats £1800 to make the 3 year warranty into a 7.

ArcticPaul

I probably know a good deal more about mapping than you do having mapped 3 engines in my Caterham. I appreciate the map installed by the factory is "generic" but since all cars come equipped with the same components its still way closer than any old carburettored car was. The lambda sensor and ECU together fine tune the map automatically as you drive and also adjust the map to match your driving style keeping it within the parameters required for emmision regs. My Caterham does not have a Lambda sensor and the variation in auxilliary engine parts (intake and exhaust) is enough to make the generic map inadequate for most applications, the supplier informs you of this. The supplier of the ECU offered to fine tune the map FOC but due to my location relaive to his suggested I do it myself with the correct equipment which is readily available for my application. It probably takes me10 hours on the road plus the same amount ofprocessing time to produce a map. The electronics and sensors on my Caterham are way simpler than production cars, built it myself, that is why I am able to do it. Could not hope to do it on a mass production car.

The "man in shed" has kit that is little more sophisticated than mine, how can he possibly have better knowledge of the workings of every mass manufacturers systems that he pretends to improve than the manufacturer themselves.

It was stated on here only a few weeks ago that remaps and tuning boxes do leave fault codes on the ECU if manufacturer set parameters have been exceeded. Dealers know what to look for and thus are able to determine when tampering has taken place.

Having paid over £20,000 for a car why would anyone even consider letting a man who probably has no experience with a new Sportage risk damaging the engine when Kia should be sorting it. I repeat, if Kia cannot sort it with their resources how can "man in shed" or perhaps Kia should give him a job if he is so good.

Paul

1 - 20 of 32 Posts