Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought a new 2022 Kia Sportage PHEV (1,6 T-GDI AWD Plug-in Hybrid EX AT 265hp) this summer. Car worked fine for first month.
Left the car parked with the doors unlocked for 24hrs after which the car was totally "dead". No signals / indicators when trying to start the car and the doors would not unlock / lock with the remote key.
Obviously the car battery had died. Had a tow truck come over to kick start the battery and now works fine.
There were no lights left on inside the car, no doors open, no beam lights, nothing. Just the doors were left unlocked. Can this cause the battery to die out? And if so, why?

Additionally, to charge the 12V battery have to drive the car but does it charge in the EV mode or do I have to select hybrid to run the engine which then will recharge battery?
Why is there no indicator in the Kia PHEV mobile phone app for battery level - obviously only for the EV battery? Neither is there an indicator in the car for the 12V battery - or is there?

Finally, wouldn't it be logical for the 12V and 13,8kW EV battery to somehow be connected in case of 12V battery running out?

Super Moderator
Hi & Welcome

Having doors unlocked will mean 12V side will not shut down fully.
12V battery will be charged while driving in EV mode as PHEV does not have a old style alternator. They have a different way of charging the 12V battery.

Time to buy one of the jump charge packs in case it happens again.

You can't really connect the High Voltage EV battery to the 12V battery. As in a case like yours, you could end up totally draining the EV battery & that will cause issues.

Registered
on order GTs hybrid 4wd
I was under the impression that you could open the car with the key and recharge the battery by pressing a button on the dashboard.

Registered
GT-Line S PHEV Dark Penta Metal (Ordered 11/03/22. Delivered 25/07/22.
The manual includes this:
Aux. Battery Saver+ (Plug-in hybrid vehicle) (if equipped)
The Aux. Battery Saver+ is a function that monitors the charging status of the 12V auxiliary battery. If the auxiliary battery level is low, the main high voltage battery charges the auxiliary battery.

I don鈥檛 know if we have the battery saver fitted but it shows that the 12V battery can be charged from the high voltage battery.

Registered
On Order: Sportage GT Line S PHEV in Infra Red
The manual includes this:
Aux. Battery Saver+ (Plug-in hybrid vehicle) (if equipped)
The Aux. Battery Saver+ is a function that monitors the charging status of the 12V auxiliary battery. If the auxiliary battery level is low, the main high voltage battery charges the auxiliary battery.

I don鈥檛 know if we have the battery saver fitted but it shows that the 12V battery can be charged from the high voltage battery.
Yes, I think it has to be turned on though. Maybe something to check within the software?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the comments and advice!

I also noticed in the Kia manual that there is an "12V Battery Saver". However, I didn't find the option on the car (see picture, no button) so I presume it's a premium model feature.

Also found the 12V status on the Kia Connect app. However, if the battery is out the application will not connect with the car.

I still find it strange that just leaving the doors unlocked (closed but not locked) would drain the 12V battery. Its quite common, at least here in Finland, that in remote countryside areas you wouldn't lock the doors for your house and therefor also leaving the car doors unlocked is quite common.

Still wondering what vehicle systems drain the battery by just leaving the doors unlocked. E.g obviously the vehicle updates the Kia Connect application by sending messages that the doors are unlocked but how could the messasing system use so much energy that it would drain the battery in 24 hrs...?

Vehicle Car Hood Grille Motor vehicle

Super Moderator
Connect works just the same with car locked or unlocked.
The issue is a unlocked car is not shutting the ACC side of the system down. So if you have anything connected to USB or 12V ports they will still be drawing power.

Registered
On order (17th Feb): 2022 Sportage GT-Line S HEV in Penta Grey with black roof.
I think what鈥檚 confusing is that there appears to be a 鈥12v Battery Saver鈥 function on the PHEV that I believe is operated from a menu, whereas there鈥檚 a 鈥12v Battery Reset鈥 button on the dashboard of the HEV. From what I鈥檝e read, the Battery Saver function works automatically when set, and the Battery Reset button has to be used manually when the 12v portion of the battery is flat.
Gadget Font Automotive design Auto part Electronic device

Reactions: dhb

Registered
On Order: Sportage GT Line S PHEV in Infra Red
I think what鈥檚 confusing is that there appears to be a 鈥12v Battery Saver鈥 function on the PHEV that I believe is operated from a menu, whereas there鈥檚 a 鈥12v Battery Reset鈥 button on the dashboard of the HEV. From what I鈥檝e read, the Battery Saver function works automatically when set, and the Battery Reset button has to be used manually when the 12v portion of the battery is flat.
View attachment 16895
Yes, my understanding is that the PHEV has a normal 12V battery (under the boot floor) but it is able to recharge it from the main traction battery through the battery saver function.
The HEV doesnt have a seperate 12V battery, it is part of its Hybrid Battery. That has a 12V reset function that is usedto prevent an overdischarge of the battery. You then hit the reset button to bring it back to life.

Registered
We are also in a fairly rural location and often leave ours unlocked (although not overnight) and haven't had any problem over 12v battery discharge on our PHEV. Mind you nothing else in car that's charging, the dash cam is Off via ignition, and the cars unlocked when charging.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes, my understanding is that the PHEV has a normal 12V battery (under the boot floor) but it is able to recharge it from the main traction battery through the battery saver function.
The HEV doesnt have a seperate 12V battery, it is part of its Hybrid Battery. That has a 12V reset function that is usedto prevent an overdischarge of the battery. You then hit the reset button to bring it back to life.
Where can I access the "batter saver function" - from the PHEV setup menu?

Even thought the car doors are unlocked, and the "ACC side" is not shut down, what system drains energy if I don't have anything plugged in USB ports or elsewhere?

Registered
This is from the manual, it also says that it鈥檚 switched on by default from the factory, but can be turned off.
Font Number

Reactions: Globus

Super Moderator
View attachment 16895
HEV does not have a Normal 12V battery from 2020. It has a lithium battery. So if that goes flat it can be boosted (12V reset) from the Hybrid side (why that side never goes below 30%) & there is no way to jump start.

Registered
HEV does not have a Normal 12V battery from 2020. It has a lithium battery. So if that goes flat it can be boosted (12V reset) from the Hybrid side (why that side never goes below 30%) & there is no way to jump start.
That鈥檚 why I specifically said 鈥 the 12v portion of the battery鈥, which was to distinguish it from a separate normal battery.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts