Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, we have a 2019 GT line 1.6 petrol it's done 13000 miles

It's got 4 fairly new continental tyres all pumped up to correct pressures, all with even wear.

The problem we have is it's just horrible to drive, it feels like it's trying to pull you all over the place and not very composed

We have asked 2 different dealers now to have a look at service time but they don't seem bothered

It's nothing to do with lane assist as that's turned off

Any ideas what it could be and how to get the dealer to fix it?

Thanks

·
Registered
Sportage 2017 (67) 1.7 crdi manual
350 Posts
Hi all, we have a 2019 GT line 1.6 petrol it's done 13000 miles

It's got 4 fairly new continental tyres all pumped up to correct pressures, all with even wear.

The problem we have is it's just horrible to drive, it feels like it's trying to pull you all over the place and not very composed

We have asked 2 different dealers now to have a look at service time but they don't seem bothered

It's nothing to do with lane assist as that's turned off

Any ideas what it could be and how to get the dealer to fix it?

Thanks
Does it feel notchy to steer over 40 or 50? Seem to feel like it locks itself (resistance to turn) at speed on slight bends? If so check out the notchy steering thread. Does your vin number start u5y (slovakia) ? If it does it could be the issue I'm having resolved tomorrow. The rack needs a special grease. It's only on the Slovakian built sportage and kia know about the issue. There is a technical service bulletin to sort the issue. Not a recall, basically they only sort it if you go in and complain.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Just checked and yes the vin starts the same as above, is there a copy of the tsb anywhere?
Not that I could find. But the reference is KFE19-61-V070-QLe

If you message KCS on here (kia customer services) they can double check your car is affected and send over the information to your local dealer on how to apply the fix.

·
Super Moderator
3,410 Posts
If you use the search function in the header of the forum you will find a few threads about notchy steering in Sportages. For example there is this thread here. However I thought this was only an issue in earlier 2016-2018 models and this had been sorted in later model years. Still it may well be the same issue.
Another small point, nearly all UK Sportages come from the Zilina Plant in Slovakia.

·
Registered
350 Posts
If you use the search function in the header of the forum you will find a few threads about notchy steering in Sportages. For example there is this thread here. However I thought this was only an issue in earlier 2016-2018 models and this had been sorted in later model years. Still it may well be the same issue.
Another small point, nearly all UK Sportages come from the Zilina Plant in Slovakia.
I read somewhere it affected up to 2019 as the year of the car is only affected by when it's registered, id still message KCS to double check. Theyve been great with me and sent all the info to my local dealer for the fix this afternoon. Mine is a 2017 though.

·
Super Moderator
3,410 Posts
I read somewhere it affected up to 2019 as the year of the car is only affected by when it's registered, id still message KCS to double check. Theyve been great with me and sent all the info to my local dealer for the fix this afternoon. Mine is a 2017 though.
I agree, it would be worth contacting Kia Customer Services with your car details and getting them to check. You are correct, the car could have been built 2018 and not registered until 2019. The tenth character in the VIN is the year indicator.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Spoken to customer services today who say it's not affected by that tsb, but they spoken to my dealers who have said they can try as software update, that may fix it, but will need to road test it and if nothing is found there's a £52 charge. So looks like we will be fobbed off again but charged for the privilege this time

·
Registered
350 Posts
Spoken to customer services today who say it's not affected by that tsb, but they spoken to my dealers who have said they can try as software update, that may fix it, but will need to road test it and if nothing is found there's a £52 charge. So looks like we will be fobbed off again but charged for the privilege this time
I'd speak to customer services and see if they can do anything to waive the charge. Surly if they see the issue and the update does nothing, they need to investigate further, not charge you.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
I have had this problem for a while:
Steering tram lines, I.e. follows every deformity in the road.
it is especially worst on the motorway where trucks have formed a trench in the tarmac.
The steering wheel is actually tugged into the trench.
the tech drove it and agreed it was not right.
Did the TSB to grease the steering box but it made little difference.
So now have been waiting for a replacement steering unit for quite a while.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I have had this problem for a while:
Steering tram lines, I.e. follows every deformity in the road.
it is especially worst on the motorway where trucks have formed a trench in the tarmac.
The steering wheel is actually tugged into the trench.
the tech drove it and agreed it was not right.
Did the TSB to grease the steering box but it made little difference.
So now have been waiting for a replacement steering unit for quite a while.
Is that the 2018 one in your signature?

·
Registered
Sportage 4 T-gdi
385 Posts
I keep wondering what sort of boat? Canoe, barge, tanker?
My 2019 gdi 4 runs like a powerboat - but doesn't slide on 'corners'.
And yes, I do cox fast boats.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Did you find the rack re grease stopped the notchyness? They did mine in about half a hour which I found suspiciously quick
I never had a notchy steering, I just found that the steering had a bit of a mind of its own, have to constantly make minor corrections on rough roads.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a 2017 1.7crdi and was pleasantly surprised how well it handles. It reminds me of my old 2cv, you throw it into bends so you don't lose speed, a bit of initial roll but that stops and its quite stable after that.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I never had a notchy steering, I just found that the steering had a bit of a mind of its own, have to constantly make minor corrections on rough roads.
Mines pretty direct. I would t even say it was notchy steering. There was resistance when making minor steering adjustments at speed which then made you over correct. Since the fix its been smooth as silk

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.