Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have noticed today that the lense on the front camera (mounted in the grille) is cracked. There is no damage to the surrounding grille so if it has been damaged by a stone flying up from the road it hit the camera bang on and hit nothing else.

The camera still works but of course the image is no longer clear.

I am guessing that Kia will not cover this on warranty.

Has anyone got any advice or suggestions or have I to just live with it.

Thanks

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
Agree it is unlikely to be a warranbty job. What does that camera do? (my Sporty has no camera)

·
Registered
2020 Sportage GT-Line CRDi
1,435 Posts
I have noticed today that the lense on the front camera (mounted in the grille) is cracked. There is no damage to the surrounding grille so if it has been damaged by a stone flying up from the road it hit the camera bang on and hit nothing else.

The camera still works but of course the image is no longer clear.

I am guessing that Kia will not cover this on warranty.

Has anyone got any advice or suggestions or have I to just live with it.

Thanks
I assume that is one of the camera's for the 360° view? That's unlucky for that to be hit, I fear it would be unlikely you would get it replaced under warranty. Possibly an insurance claim?

·
Registered
554 Posts
I think they are quite prone to being hit and cracked. Various posts for different car manufacturers all with same issue. I saw one for a kia (may have been the American model though) but a replacement camera was hundreds of pounds.

mine is just over a year old and I have a small stone chip on the camera glass. Luckily for me it’s not affecting image but with time I would think it will get hit again. It’s due to position of it, it’s very open to all the elements.

·
Registered
2020 Sportage GT-Line CRDi
1,435 Posts
I don't have one on my car, but are they in a position where they are bound to take a hit? They are obviously not protected, is there some way you could add protection?

·
Registered
554 Posts
I don't have one on my car, but are they in a position where they are bound to take a hit? They are obviously not protected, is there some way you could add protection?
Yes, it’s on the front grill in the centre. So prone for stones to flick up and hit it. It’s not protected in anyway as it’s just an exposed camera lens (looks exactly the same as the rear camera)

·
Registered
317 Posts
Been looking myself on ebay for some form of protection similar to what you can get for mobile phones but as yet still not able to find anything. Replacement front cameras for the Sportage are available on ebay but even on their they want around £200 so not cheap.

·
Super Moderator
4,313 Posts
Small piece of perspex in front of camera. Should do the job.

Reactions: Lakeslad

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks, I agree it is very vulnerable to damage but it is too late now and I don't want to disturb the insurance man so it can stay broken for now because I am sure as soon as I get it repaired it will get broken again!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts