Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Very happy Sportage owner...but.... bought back in June 2020 (online) 2017 reg 13,334 now 19,000 miles....bought from a good...? Kia dealer Essex came with mot + service history (which I'm promised I shall recive at sompoint)....only placed air in tyres once (all 4 tyres Septerper time)....but Thursday rear off side tyre went down 7 psi refilled 34 psi (cold) then today 27 psi (cold)...taken to local very reputal tyre dealer....found what they call a....STRING REPAIR!!!....after driving on M11-M25 for 6.000 miles I'm a bit pezzed. that this was not seen on mot!!!! and the before service and hand over!!!!...apparently these repairs are not LEGAL and highly dangerous.....

So after 6,000 miles I find myself very fortunate, and mostly other drivers who I could have caused a accident too....

So my qustion is ??? do main Kia dealers need to check tyres before sale with or without a mot ???

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
I believe that any dealer selling a car will acquire laibility if the vehicle is not roadworthy. As professionals they have a duty of care to their customers. It might not have been reasonably evident at the time of the sale (6000 miles earlier) particularly if the bodger had taken trouble to hide it, and this might be a defence. Was the MoT performed by the dealer (many ncluding mine outsource that as they are not MoT test stations)? Don't be too hard on the seller - MoT guy missed it too.

Was the tyre repaired or did you have to replace two of them to keep them matched?

·
Registered
286 Posts
Very happy Sportage owner...but.... bought back in June 2020 (online) 2017 reg 13,334 now 19,000 miles....bought from a good...? Kia dealer Essex came with mot + service history (which I'm promised I shall recive at sompoint)....only placed air in tyres once (all 4 tyres Septerper time)....but Thursday rear off side tyre went down 7 psi refilled 34 psi (cold) then today 27 psi (cold)...taken to local very reputal tyre dealer....found what they call a....STRING REPAIR!!!....after driving on M11-M25 for 6.000 miles I'm a bit pezzed. that this was not seen on mot!!!! and the before service and hand over!!!!...apparently these repairs are not LEGAL and highly dangerous.....

So after 6,000 miles I find myself very fortunate, and mostly other drivers who I could have caused a accident too....

So my qustion is ??? do main Kia dealers need to check tyres before sale with or without a mot ??? View attachment 9157
I have no idea what a 'string repair' is, but looking at the photo it seems to be on the shoulder of the tyre which is an area that should never be repaired as far as I am aware.

You can check the MOT status online, but I fear you might have to wave goodbye to the service history and thereby the warranty.

Maybe a call to Citizens Advice Bureau might be useful, unless the dealer is willing to rectify the problems and provide the Service History.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
694 Posts
A DIY repair carried out just to get the car sold without having to fork out for a new tyre, as previously said this tyre would never be repaired at a garage as the puncture is too close to the wall. Takes 2 mins to do a 'string' repair and these kits are easy and cheap to get off eBay. At best they are a quick fix 'to get you home' but will never last more than a few hundred miles before failing.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I believe that any dealer selling a car will acquire laibility if the vehicle is not roadworthy. As professionals they have a duty of care to their customers. It might not have been reasonably evident at the time of the sale (6000 miles earlier) particularly if the bodger had taken trouble to hide it, and this might be a defence. Was the MoT performed by the dealer (many ncluding mine outsource that as they are not MoT test stations)? Don't be too hard on the seller - MoT guy missed it too.

Was the tyre repaired or did you have to replace two of them to keep them matched?
Your my Hero Turnup...xx....just as I thought...this my frist time I've heard of string repair on tyre...but it was so obvious when tyre was off...tyre fitter was so shock to see...called over two others so they could see (obviously 2 meter distance...so I'm going to get new tyre fitted Monday and take the offending tyre to the Kia Dealers for them to sort....haha and they can get rid of...thanks for you input...bless.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A DIY repair carried out just to get the car sold without having to fork out for a new tyre, as previously said this tyre would never be repaired at a garage as the puncture is too close to the wall. Takes 2 mins to do a 'string' repair and these kits are easy and cheap to get off eBay. At best they are a quick fix 'to get you home' but will never last more than a few hundred miles before failing.
I'm just so relieved I never caused a accident with this tyre....be good to find out why it was never picked up on mot test + before it was sold to me....thanks for your input I may use your thoughts at Kia Dealer if ok with you?? besta

·
Super Moderator
4,261 Posts
String repairs are used a lot on Motorbikes as are Mushrooms.
Can last a very long time if done correctly.

Reactions: Zebster

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have no idea what a 'string repair' is, but looking at the photo it seems to be on the shoulder of the tyre which is an area that should never be repaired as far as I am aware.

You can check the MOT status online, but I fear you might have to wave goodbye to the service history and thereby the warranty.

Maybe a call to Citizens Advice Bureau might be useful, unless the dealer is willing to rectify the problems and provide the Service History.

Neither had I today (sting repair) tyre had no issue till last week (6,000 miles bought back in June 2020 online purchase, 2017 reg with Mot and service history....even if I'd seen the car you would never spot it...I'll send a pic Monday next week as tyre out of stock...:))

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes...think I was lucky....but apparently not legal...thanks for your input...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You're still waiting for the MOT and Service History 6/7 months later?

No IT WAS ALL Done before hand over....basically the Kia dealer is should have made car road worthy....but failed....thanks for you input

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Your my Hero Turnup...xx....just as I thought...this my frist time I've heard of string repair on tyre...but it was so obvious when tyre was off...tyre fitter was so shock to see...called over two others so they could see (obviously 2 meter distance...so I'm going to get new tyre fitted Monday and take the offending tyre to the Kia Dealers for them to sort....haha and they can get rid of...thanks for you input...bless.
Mot down in May 2020 runs out May 2021 so down to Kia...as you said dew care and attension....

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The dealers are pretty good (apparantly)....but how it got through mot before I bought online beggers belief...blame it on covid I suppose....lucky me with 6.000 miles.....ha ha

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

I'm going to replace all four on Monday back to Hancocks not the best price but hope to keep me going foward......next time I need to change tyres I'lll ask you advice on tyre type as I know your the top guy to ask....big thanks for your input....besta

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi to all I own Kia Sportage 2016 and i am proud off.
I wish to update my car software because i never did it. One so i can have new navigation maps of all Europe and to change mu odometer from miles to kilometres.can some guide me and tell me what to do. Thanks

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
I'm going to replace all four on Monday back to Hancocks not the best price but hope to keep me going foward......next time I need to change tyres I'lll ask you advice on tyre type as I know your the top guy to ask....big thanks for your input....besta
I am not a tyre geek so don't ask me!. I have always fitted the cheapest tyres my local, most excellent, tyre specialiat has on the basis that I do not need anywhere near to ultimate performance and a brand new very expensive tyre can be trashed the very same day you fitted it. This means that I have seen a lot of tyres with wierd names and never the same brand twice. I currently have Comforser tyres fitted - I had neever heard of them and it sounds like Chinese chewing gum but they are actually a Sanadian company. The tyre place I sue has been operating on the same site for at leaast 40 years and there is always a queue outside. I trust them completely - I have witnessed them turning away business because the customer wanted a cheaper tyre which did not have the correct rating for the car and they flatly refused.

Ther are plenty of folk on here who know lots more about tyres than I do.

·
Registered
2020 Sportage GT-Line CRDi
1,416 Posts
Hi to all I own Kia Sportage 2016 and i am proud off.
I wish to update my car software because i never did it. One so i can have new navigation maps of all Europe and to change mu odometer from miles to kilometres.can some guide me and tell me what to do. Thanks
@Josiah Grech , I realise the title of this thread may have confused the you, but you would be better posting your query on either the Sportage 2016+ section or on the Main Message Centre. Alternatively use the search field at the top of the page for map updates, there are lots of threads on the subject. In the UK official Kia map updates are dealer only.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I am not a tyre geek so don't ask me!. I have always fitted the cheapest tyres my local, most excellent, tyre specialiat has on the basis that I do not need anywhere near to ultimate performance and a brand new very expensive tyre can be trashed the very same day you fitted it. This means that I have seen a lot of tyres with wierd names and never the same brand twice. I currently have Comforser tyres fitted - I had neever heard of them and it sounds like Chinese chewing gum but they are actually a Sanadian company. The tyre place I sue has been operating on the same site for at leaast 40 years and there is always a queue outside. I trust them completely - I have witnessed them turning away business because the customer wanted a cheaper tyre which did not have the correct rating for the car and they flatly refused.

Ther are plenty of folk on here who know lots more about tyres than I do.
Thanks again Turnup for your input...you have more experience than me on tyres.....as this was just sprung on me yesterday (string repair)...all 4 tyres would need changing very soon any way....annoyed with my self really that I did'nt have enough time to source or research my options.....being safe is my better option....4 new tyres Hancocks it is then....hopeing I'll get at least 18.000 to 20.000 miles out of them ?? will research better next time...besta

·
Registered
203 Posts
I'm not a Tyre Geek either but I do know that simply fitting the cheapest tyre is not the best practice. Some tyre dealers, normally the better known ones, stock cheaper tyres simply because they have to cater for the customer who comes in and just wants the cheapest. They basically sell what they can get which is why they simply list them as 'budget' on their websites. I've had these type of tyres in the past thinking that a tyre is a tyre, how wrong that is. The biggest problem with these types of tyre is lack of grip and stopping distance, especially in the wet. You can't just trust the 'ratings' stamped on the tyre as you have no way of knowing how these tests have been audited in the far East.
But these budgets aren't all bad, there are some good ones and the way to identify them is to use a local independant dealer whose reputation depends on what he sells. He's the guy who will tell you the make when you ask rather than the 'whatever we can get' response that others give.
Remember that Hancook and Nexen were budget brands a few years ago and they are now standard on Kias.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'm not a Tyre Geek either but I do know that simply fitting the cheapest tyre is not the best practice. Some tyre dealers, normally the better known ones, stock cheaper tyres simply because they have to cater for the customer who comes in and just wants the cheapest. They basically sell what they can get which is why they simply list them as 'budget' on their websites. I've had these type of tyres in the past thinking that a tyre is a tyre, how wrong that is. The biggest problem with these types of tyre is lack of grip and stopping distance, especially in the wet. You can't just trust the 'ratings' stamped on the tyre as you have no way of knowing how these tests have been audited in the far East.
But these budgets aren't all bad, there are some good ones and the way to identify them is to use a local independant dealer whose reputation depends on what he sells. He's the guy who will tell you the make when you ask rather than the 'whatever we can get' response that others give.
Remember that Hancook and Nexen were budget brands a few years ago and they are now standard on Kias.
Thanks for the input Videoman....sorting the tyres tomorrow (all four) I'm above legal limt on three apart for the string repair....but feel starting from new is my best option dew to my m11 + m25 commute (70 miles round trip)...the independant tyre company is well reguarded in my area over 35 years established and reguard the Hankook being fitted as midrange....it's all a learning curve and hope all will be good on them for the next 18.000 miles....I'm defo going to research now....best and better option's BEFORE I need to change them again....you never stop learning...ha ha...best a

1 - 20 of 27 Posts