Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a constant high pitched sound in the cabin from the passenger side. I can sometimes change the tone of it by turning the steering wheel. Any thoughts what it might be?

·
Registered
Sportage 4 T-gdi
92 Posts
I realise my reply was less than helpful, but I couldn't resist!
T'was the whisky wot made me do it, honest yer'onour.....:rolleyes:
Check the oil level in the power steering reservoir and top up if necessary - it might be low and 'cavitating' with air, then if you've got a quiet road nearby, do some slow zig-zagging to flush it through the system, otherwise it could be the pump, oil condition (when was it last changed?) or just 'old age'. The power steering, not you or even the delightful (I'm sure!) Mrs. Sijohn.
Of course, if you have the electric steering, then disregard the power steering comment as it could be anything really. :confused:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I realise my reply was less than helpful, but I couldn't resist!
T'was the whisky wot made me do it, honest yer'onour.....:rolleyes:
Check the oil level in the power steering reservoir and top up if necessary - it might be low and 'cavitating' with air, then if you've got a quiet road nearby, do some slow zig-zagging to flush it through the system, otherwise it could be the pump, oil condition (when was it last changed?) or just 'old age'. The power steering, not you or even the delightful (I'm sure!) Mrs. Sijohn.
Of course, if you have the electric steering, then disregard the power steering comment as it could be anything really. :confused:
Thank you for the advice Alan. Will try what you have suggested. How can I tell if I have electric steering? Simon 😊

·
Registered
Sportage 4 T-gdi
92 Posts
When the car starts, on my 2019 Sportage the steering wheel kicks and it has lane assist.
Plus there's no power steering pump or reservoir.
I'm new to the Kia family, so unsure about previous model spec.

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
Mine is electric and does nto kick in thej least at start so this is not a reliable test. Oil pumped power steering sytems have an oil pump driven from the accessory belt with pipes leading to the steering rack and an oil reservoir in the engine compartment.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I don’t think mine is electric in that case as I have a reservoir. Very frustrated noise...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have spoken to my local Kia dealership and they want to remove the dashboard charging me £450 to see if they can fix it but no guarantees...

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
I don’t think mine is electric in that case as I have a reservoir. Very frustrated noise...
That is not a power steering reservoir, it is the brake/clutch fluid reservoir. Is it a long time since you passed your driving test? Identifying and maintaining the various fluid levels is now part of teh test.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That is not a power steering reservoir, it is the brake/clutch fluid reservoir. Is it a long time since you passed your driving test? Identifying and maintaining the various fluid levels is now part of teh test.
yes it is a long time passed in an original mini
😂 any clues what I should be looking for?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Dash out seems a bit extreme, and pointless unless they are confident that this is the area of the fault. I think that they may be leaning towards it being in the cabin fan area. You may have a clogged cabin filter. The filter resides behind the glove box, so is in the passenger side of the cabin. Having said that if you increase the fan speed does that make any difference?

It could also be any number of other things. You mention this is constantly there, I assume both stationary and when moving.
Perhaps it is driven off the serpentine belt, maybe alternator or water pump, however, I would expect this to change with engine revs.
It could also be a slight air leak on a hose.
You mention it is in the cabin, however as you have had the bonnet up can you hear this noise evident when it is up, suggesting that it emanates from the engine somewhere and not the cabin?

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
yes it is a long time passed in an original mini
😂 any clues what I should be looking for?
under the bonnet there are up to 5 fluid reservoirs:

1) Coolant
2) Engine oil
3) Washer bottle
4) Brake/cclutch fluid
5) Power steering fluid.

The all have filler caps with an appropraite symbol on them.

No direspect, but with your limited knowledge of things under the bonnet I think it unlikely that you will be able to fix whatever it is for yourself. Leave it to the experts. It might be worth your whil to take some time or tuition to understand where all the fluids are and how to check and replenish them - it is porentially expensive to neglect these between services.

·
Registered
Sportage 4 T-gdi
92 Posts
Engine oil reservoir? Thought that was the fully enclosed sump.
I'll have a look for that in the morning just in case....... :unsure:

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
Engine oil reservoir? Thought that was the fully enclosed sump.
I'll have a look for that in the morning just in case....... :unsure:
The sump is a reservoir with a level indication in the form of a dipstick. :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts