Kia Owners Club Forum banner

Is anti-roll bar necessary in Sportage

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

I just passed my driving test in UK and bought this beautiful 1.7 CRDI Sportage KX-3, which had only 38k miles done since new, always serviced properly and just starting extended warranty. I was looking at variety of options for the first car, but this one was always on my mind. Love the bodywork, interior and how spacious it is. Having paid already I started researching in depth and I came across people warning about rollover, saying in particular it may be dangerous for new drivers in cars high higher center mass. I can still back out, as safety is the most important feature for me, not planning to speed tough. Should I just be careful in tight turns and while cornering, or is it not enough on stock Sportage and I need to install anti roll bar?

·
Registered
Sportage 4 T-gdi
387 Posts
It's not a race car or high performance vehicle. Drive sensibly and you'll be fine.

Reactions: ArthurCollins2

·
Registered
66 plate Sportage KX4
214 Posts
The car you have has approx 114bhp, let’s face it, it’s pretty heavy so not aimed at performance.
ive driven a 2012 kx4 and was surprised how well it stuck to the road considering its size.
as for fitting mods, you are a new driver, having mods declared on your insurance is likely to be expensive!

·
Registered
66 plate Sportage KX4
214 Posts
I'm quite surprised, wouldn't that be seen as additional safety feature minimising risk of rollover?
If the car needed it for normal driving then they would have it out of the factory.
from driving other cars I don’t think the Sportage is liable to toppling over.
many modification is still a modification, as an example bigger and better brakes makes you stop better,you need to notify your insurance for these
If it’s your first car, go out and enjoy it and see if you feel anything needs changing to suit you first

·
Registered
800 Posts
I think the OP was possibly asking about fitting a Roll Cage - all cars since the 1960's have had anti roll bars.
I have never heard of the Sportage having any problems with handling,just driven normally they will be fine.

·
Super Moderator
9,436 Posts
Perhaps the OP would like to say if they are meaning a internal roll cage.

Which will see Ins co rubbing their hands with glee at the amount extra they can add to the policy. As anyone fitting one is clearly not going to be your average road driver.

Have the instructors stopped telling people "Slow in & fast out" of corners?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

No, just anti-roll bar.

They have not, the Sportage steering is super sensitive compared to A1 I drove in when doing lessons. I simply got scared and started reading, hence asking

·
Registered
800 Posts
Hi Bartek
All cars have had anti roll bars since the 1960's.
Some modern cars can have the steering 'sensitivity' changed to different settings,I do not know if the Sportage has that but our 2009 Fabia did.

·
Registered
948 Posts

No, just anti-roll bar.

They have not, the Sportage steering is super sensitive compared to A1 I drove in when doing lessons. I simply got scared and started reading, hence asking
As others have said, a sportage will already have anti roll bars as standard suspension fitment. You could upgrade them but for what reason? They have an effect on stability but if you're talking about protection from rolling your car, it's unlikely someone has suggested adding anti roll bars. Maybe a rollover bar which, as has been mentioned, forms part of a protection cage for the driver. Even more pointless for you.

In summary, I really don't think you have anything to worry about. If the car is mechanically sound and a good deal, buy it, learn it, enjoy it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.