Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had the battery changed about 4 months ago by my local garage. Every was fine till about 3 weeks ago when the stop start and the interior alarm stopped working. Took car back to garage and they tested the battery and said it was low on charge. Was going to replace under warranty but battery supplier said they wouldn't as not been synced with car..... What on earth does that mean please

·
Registered
281 Posts
if the battery was low on charge then surely it just wants charging up. if it failed a battery test then it wants replacing.
synced with the car ? on some makes of car when you replace the battery you have to reset the smart charge system or else it may not charge the battery correctly to find out if this has been done you would have to connect a diagnostic code reader did the supplier do this ? as far as i am awhere the kia has a self learn smart charge and does not have to be synced. the battery warranty is with the garage that supplied and fitted it if they didnt fit it correctly they should replace it.

·
Registered
3,844 Posts
I had the battery changed about 4 months ago by my local garage. Every was fine till about 3 weeks ago when the stop start and the interior alarm stopped working. Took car back to garage and they tested the battery and said it was low on charge. Was going to replace under warranty but battery supplier said they wouldn't as not been synced with car..... What on earth does that mean please
It means that the supplier is spoutng BS - no synch required on the KIA system (in fact I find it boggling that any system requires synching since it could not possibly remain synched for very long anyway - too many random variables). Guessing that the car has seen little use this past few months. Give the battery a good charge.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK thanks. I've not stopped using the car. Travel 20 miles to work and back everyday. It worked fine until about 3 weeks ago when the stop start and the interior alarm switch stopped working again. Which happened before. It still starts fine. I was also told because its a cell battery it can't be charged by a normal car trickle charger. Is that correct. If not do I remove battery from car, or remove cables or just charge it as it sits. Thanks

·
Registered
665 Posts
I've not heard of a battery that can't be charged from a trickle charger.
I don't see why this would even be the case, as why would it matter where the charge is coming from - a trickle charger or the car itself?
I stand to be corrected, but this doesn't make sense to me.
I've been keeping cars and motorbikes on trickle chargers for months at a time for decades and never come across a battery that couldn't be trickled.
You would just trickle charge it in place (as long as the car is weather protected of course).

·
Registered
3,844 Posts
OK thanks. I've not stopped using the car. Travel 20 miles to work and back everyday. It worked fine until about 3 weeks ago when the stop start and the interior alarm switch stopped working again. Which happened before. It still starts fine. I was also told because its a cell battery it can't be charged by a normal car trickle charger. Is that correct. If not do I remove battery from car, or remove cables or just charge it as it sits. Thanks

Don't understand "interior alarm switch" ?? Whadat?

Also don't understand "cell battery" ?? All batteries consist of two or more cells.

Usually cars with ISG also use AGM batteries in place of the older flooded call batteries. It is true that these two types of battery have different charging characteristics (AGM batteries can be charged harder than flooded cell batteries) but this is not an issue for trickle chargers. There are specific chargers more suited to AGM batteries, and many will detect the battery type and adjust themselves accordingly. Prolonged charging of a flooded cell battery with a charger desigend only for and AGM battery will damage the battery. Trickle charging is not a problem. It is fine to trickle charge a batery while it is connected to the car provided care is exercised when hooking it up.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts