Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
Whilst driving along slowly, I suddenly noticed a huge amount of smoke coming from the rear of the car, was only 1/2 mile from home so returned very slowly. Once home I checked the oil and it was really high (and appeared to be very thin, i.e. possibly contaminated with diesel). As this was during lock down and the car hadn't been on any long fast journeys, I assumed this was due to the DPF regeneration process dripping diesel into the oil.

So, I drained the oil and replaced with the correct amount... but still loads of smoke.

So, thinking I'd done more serious damage... possibly blown the seals on the turbo. I stripped the engine down and discovered oil in the air intake side of the turbo, which confirmed my first thoughts.

I have replaced the turbo with a new one, cleaned the intercooler and the DPF with wynns off the DPF cleaning liquid. However, once assembled I still have the original problem ... huge amounts of white / blue smoke from exhaust (and now oil is coming out of the exhaust).

The interesting thing is that, if I completely remove the lambda sensor (i.e. leave a hole before the DPF), I get no smoke from the exhaust at all (but not a long term solution as eventually the engine compartment fills with hot exhaust flumes). I've tried this a few time, i.e. putting the sensor in ... loads of smoke, remove it ... no smoke. I even tried leaving the sensor in, but disconnected ... loads of smoke.

I'm guessing that this means that the PDF is cream crackered (or would be interested to hear any other suggestions) .... if so, does anybody know where I can get a replacement PDF for a 1.7 diesel (tried internet with not luck)

BTW, car has done 60k, well maintained and just 2 months out of warrantee!

Any other possible solutions would be welcome.

Cheers
Gary

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Forgot to mention... the engine runs fine, doesn't over heat and no warning lights or codes on from the OBD. Also no oil in the water or water in the oil.

·
Registered
4,900 Posts
Is the EGR valve stuck open. With your sensor out air can be drawn in the system by the air flow. This is possibly diluting the white smoke.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Birdman,

Had a quick look at the EGR valve and it appears to move (although with a squeak as I move it with my hand). I'm considering temporarily blanking the EGR valve off to see if this stops the smoke (if it does I'll replace it) .... I'm not sure where the best place to blank it off, Is the 3 bolt connection on the inlet manifold the best spot?

BTW, The amount of smoke I get is enormous when the sensor is in.... and next to nothing when out. So, I tried putting the sensor back in, but undoing the joint after the DPF and this has the same effect as removing the sensor. I'm beginning to wonder if the exhaust back box is full of oil (from the regen over fill).

Cheers
Gary

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi All,

OK, so after scratching my head for a while... and testing just about everything in the engine, I still couldn't understand where the oily smoke was coming from. No matter what I did, the engine ran perfectly and no warning lights or codes appeared.
The only thing that stopped the smoke was disconnecting the exhaust!.... I even took the whole exhaust off and was able to drive around with no smoke (It wasn't as noisy as I'd expected, you could barely tell I had no exhaust). I drove the car for over 30 miles .... no smoke.
Put the exhaust back on.... smoke within 5 mins!

Then the eureka moment .... I notice that the oil coming out of the tail pipe was black diesel contaminated stuff and the engine had brand new clear Shell Helix in it. So the oil must be already in the exhaust!!!
Took the back box off and clean it as good as i could (i.e. not very well, anything I put in there seem to stay in there!)

Anyway, assuming it was just oil in the back box (from overfill).... I reconnected the exhaust and took the car for a long drive (first slowly, building up until driving it like i'd stole it)... smoke everywhere at first but it slowly began to ease off.
Now there's only a small amount of smoke every now and then.

BTW, the garage originally quoted me £10,000 for parts only to fix this!!! (replace turbo, DPF, intercooler, ERG valve and other stuff) imagine what the labour costs would have been? and how peed I'd have been if I'd paid for the work only to discover the fix was free!

Cheers
Gary

·
Registered
154 Posts
But what do you think caused engine oil to get into the exhaust system? How could so much oil somehow pass through the engine? And how did this not cause catastrophic runaway?

·
Registered
63 Posts
But what do you think caused engine oil to get into the exhaust system? How could so much oil somehow pass through the engine? And how did this not cause catastrophic runaway?
A very good question, particularly that the level of oil in the engine was reported to have been high.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I'm wondering if it's connected to the regeneration and excess diesel as the OP said. It might not be oil but (possibly. I am guessing here) diesel mixed with carbon from the dpf.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi All,

OK, so after scratching my head for a while... and testing just about everything in the engine, I still couldn't understand where the oily smoke was coming from. No matter what I did, the engine ran perfectly and no warning lights or codes appeared.
The only thing that stopped the smoke was disconnecting the exhaust!.... I even took the whole exhaust off and was able to drive around with no smoke (It wasn't as noisy as I'd expected, you could barely tell I had no exhaust). I drove the car for over 30 miles .... no smoke.
Put the exhaust back on.... smoke within 5 mins!

Then the eureka moment .... I notice that the oil coming out of the tail pipe was black diesel contaminated stuff and the engine had brand new clear Shell Helix in it. So the oil must be already in the exhaust!!!
Took the back box off and clean it as good as i could (i.e. not very well, anything I put in there seem to stay in there!)

Anyway, assuming it was just oil in the back box (from overfill).... I reconnected the exhaust and took the car for a long drive (first slowly, building up until driving it like i'd stole it)... smoke everywhere at first but it slowly began to ease off.
Now there's only a small amount of smoke every now and then.

BTW, the garage originally quoted me £10,000 for parts only to fix this!!! (replace turbo, DPF, intercooler, ERG valve and other stuff) imagine what the labour costs would have been? and how peed I'd have been if I'd paid for the work only to discover the fix was free!

Cheers
Gary
Can I ask ow has it been since this was done has the problem re surfaced or would you say resolved?
Cheers

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi All,
Zebster and Nikko, (and Crickleymal) .... Yes I think the stuff in the exhaust was a mixture of oil / diesel and carbon due to an issue with the regen process, as the car hadn't been driven more than 15 miles each journey for about 3-4 months. Normally don't have any issues with the oil level.... so, got into bad habits and didn't check the level as regularly as I should have (mainly because the car was hardly been used). and it must have creeped up without me noticing.

Smoggyste, Yeah, the car has been great since I burnt all the stuff out of the exhaust... so, touch wood its fixed.

Take the car for a 50 mile blast down the motorway every now and then (as we're in another lockdown)

Cheers

·
Registered
63 Posts
Thanks for the update. Sounds like may be something wrong with regen control if the system is squirting diesel in when the temperature is not high enough to ignite it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts