Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm experience starting problems with my diesel Sportage.

I've had it from new and I remember this happening once or twice in the first few years but so rarely I never paid it any attention.

Now it's suddenly gotten worse and happens frequently.

I turn the key and the starter turns the engine as normal, nice and fast, but it won't start - not even trying.

Turn it off, back on, usually it will start.

It's getting worse though, sometimes takes several attempts (right off then back on) to get it to start.

Sometimes if I turn off the engine after a journey and try immediately to start it it fails.

When it's going to start, it starts immediately and runs perfectly.

When it's not going to start it just turns over like it's out of fuel.

I've tried swapping the fuel-pump relay for the fog-light one (they are identical) but it didn't make any difference.

Has anyone else encountered this?

I'm reluctant to book it in to the dealer as intermittent problems can lead to huge bills one after another with the problem remaining.

Thanks,

Dan.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just an update to this. I've spoken to a Kia technician and have identified that it is most likely the immobiliser control unit.

On the Sportage, when you turn the ignition on a little orange light with a symbol of a car and key lights up on the dashboard. This means the immobiliser has successfully recognised and read the chip in the key.

When it does not light up, the key has not been read and the engine will not start.

On my Sportage, this follows exactly - whenever the light does not show it won't start. So until it goes in for repair I just turn the ignition off and back on until the light does come on, then I know it will start.

I'll post the final outcome here...

·
Registered
9 Posts
hi had the very same problem with my sportage , mine is a xs 4x4 auto 2005 model , turned out to be the remote antenna behind the steering wheel cover kia bicester changed this for me and had no problems since , apparently after time it becomes hot and cracks causing many many starting problems ,total cost was around fifty pounds i believe inc vat and labour hope this helps rob

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just got back from the dealers.... Westover Kia in Ferdown, Dorset.

They told me that one key was faulty and the other one was "not programmed".

I told them this doesn't make sense because both keys worked to start the car and the starting problem was apparent with them both.

Anyway, they insisted one key was dead and one good (that had to be reprogrammed)so I duly paid the £48 reprogramming fee and took the car away.

On the way home on the "good" key, starting problems again - I did several test stops and re-starts.

So I phoned on the mobile and told the dealer there and then. I was told by the service guy there that maybe both keys are duff. I said that it must be the car, surely both keys wouldn't fail at exactly the same time!?

However, he insisted that both keys must be bad if the problem exists as "the car is fine" according to his technician.

So I've ordered a replacement key, after getting him to agree that if the new key still exhibits the same problem they will refund me for it. At £120 a pop for a new key I had to insist on this.

I'm really not convinced that two keys have mysteriously failed at the same time. To me it seems far more likely there's a fault in the car (opinion anyone?!).

I have to wait for the replacement key, probably about a week. In the mean time I'm left with one intermittent starting key and one that won't work at all.

I'll post updates as they happen...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi,

Could you elaborate on this? Override the signal?

I'm waiting to hear from them. I hope they are right and the problem is solved, I just don't have a lot of confidence in their diagnosis because I find it hard to believe both keys would die at the same time.

·
Registered
682 Posts
The diagnostic tool should flag up which area or part, iscausing the problem.
Most systems now are controlled by an ECU which by receiving the correct inputs will switch on the necessary outputs( i.e. fuel pump, ignition etc)

That is where the techie can check the various inputs and outputs to trace the problem.

Bob

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, got my brand new key all shiny and new yesterday...

Guess what : shock! horror!

Starting problem is still there, even with the brand new key - I knew it wasn't the key...

Anyway, when I spoke to the mechanic at Westover Kia, he admitted that these type of problems can be a bit "trial-and-error"...

I don't mind them replacing as many parts as they want trying to find the problem - as long as it's not at my expense!

I shall be contacting them, to book it in again...

I'll update here as it happens :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
its the key remote transponder antenna behind the steering columb . cost around fifty pounds fitted by kia , its a known fault , tell the tech guy , its even been bullitet to dealers as i have actually seen it with my own eyes

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
As luck would have it, a work colleague knows an ex-Kia mechanic who worked for a dealership until about a year ago. He still does work as a mechanic and I've been in touch with him.

He told me it's a fairly common problem with several Kias, not just the Sportage and it is (as you said) the antenna. He even said he's replaced one in the last couple of weeks and it cured the same problem.

However, not being at a dealership anymore he cannot confirm with the diagnostic computer, but since the actual dealership seem clueless what's causing it - and the key has already been eliminated as a cause he's fairly convinced it's the antenna.

He's ordered one up for me and it should be fitted next week by him.

I shall post the outcome once it is clear whether it fixed it or not (might bea week or so before I really know as the problem is intermittent).

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've just had the transponder coil replaced, by a private (ex-Kia)mechanic at a cost of £44!

Here is a picture of the part if anyone is interested:

I'll run it for a week and see how it goes. I've turned the car on and off about 50 times and not one failure yet so fingers crossed!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi,

Early days yet, but so far not one single starting problem.

Don't want to tempt fate, but it's looking good and I reckon there's a good chance it's cured.

If it hasn't happened after 10 days or so I can be sure!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I didn't see the job being done, but the mechanic I use has no facility to reprogram keys etc...

The unit is basically an antenna with two wires that must plug in somewhere - obviously where the old one did.

The car has been perfect since it was done, not a single problem starting.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Hi Cazcaz, I would not think you would need to re-program the key, the ECU should have your key details, its only the transponder not reading the key correctly that you are replacing.

Bob.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
My mechanic definitely did not reprogram the keys. He merely replaced the transponder antenna and everything worked as it should.

Do you have this intermittent starting problem?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Hi Chaps,

No, No problems at this time,she is only 2 years old & i was just checking what was needed for future reference.

Fingers crossed i will not need it,but thank you for the heads up!

Gazcaz.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ah... thinking ahead...

Well if it does happen you'll know it for sure. Turn on the ignition all the way but not to start - you'll see the key symbol light up on the dash.

When you have this fault, that symbol won't appear and the car won't start. It'll turn over but won't fire.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi

I have an intermittent fault where every so often I go to start my Sportage and nothing happens. The first time it happened I moved the car gears 1st to 4th and low and behold it turned over. This happened several times and I took it to Kia, however it didn't play up when they had it and no fault codes and since getting it back I haven't had a problem. Well, until this morning that is when it wouldn't start. I moved it through the gears several times and got nothing but a click. I was about to give up when on the last turn it started. Is this the same problem or is it the solenoid. I really want to get it sorted because one of those days it just isn't going to start.

Millster

1 - 20 of 24 Posts