Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I became a proud new owner of a Kia Sportage 2, 1.6L petrol (61 plate), just short of 2 months ago, with about 7,500 miles on the clock. Both me and my family love this car - fabulous interior, beautiful exterior ... I've even been stopped when leaving my gym, by someone asking what it was ! Never had that before !
Love driving it - but I have one issue and wanted to know if it's just mine, or everyone with the same model suffers the same. It's gutless - there's no power. I am beaten away from the lights by everything on the road ... And I mean EVERYTHING. I daren't try and 'drop and go' to get past anything, because it takes an age to get the speed up.
The glossy promo brochures (and virtually every independent review site I looked at) state that it'll power away from 0-60 in an impressive 11 seconds ... Impressive indeed if it actually happened. In reality, it takes over 20 secs to amble it's way up to 60. If I'm unfortunate enough to exit a roundabout into the outside lane of a dual carriageway, I'm knackered - I end up with a queue behind me, until I get up to around 70, when the power eventually kicks in and I get some speed up.
The additional downside, is that I'm flooring the accelerator to try and get a more rapid increase in revs and of course that is impacting heavily on my mpg, which I simply can't get any higher than 31.2, 31.3 (mainly urban, with some dual carriageways).

It's the one thing that's preventing me from being 100% happy with what is a lovely car.

I wonder if anyone else has the same problem and would appreciate any thoughts, comments or suggestions.

Many thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Morning Thunderbird,

Thanks for your comments (I think !!)

It all makes sense though - I understand that it's a big car, with a small engine and was well aware I hadn't bought a sports car. When I test drove it, there was no chance to try and 'give it some welly', so the acceleration (or lack of) wasn't apparent at that stage.

I'm no car engineer or mechanic, so don't profess to understand torque etc, I just would have liked it if it had a little something more under the hood. It's not a complaint - I absolutely love the car in every other respect and certainly have no regrets, I just wondered if other owners of the same model found the same.

·
Registered
863 Posts
I don't get any of that to be fair but have just picked my 1.6GDI up today, didn't feel under powered at all on the way home. Acceleration was good. I suppose it depends on what you are used to.... I'm coming from a 1.6 petrol Citroen xsara Picasso which to me had good acceleration so this can be no worse I suppose. Will be trying it out more of the coming days if the snow stays away though

·
Registered
682 Posts
If the petrol is the same as the diesel, you need to have done at lease 10K miles, to let the unit bed in, and it gets better with age and mileage.

Edited by: kia passa

·
Registered
863 Posts
Hi op,
Just tested my 1.6 this morning and acceleration and power was good, no issues for me at all, if it's as slow/underpowered as you say it may be worth taking into a dealers to get checked out to make sure there's no fault causing this.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same experience with a 2 liter petrol AWD. No more left lane at the traffic lights (I am on the continent) for me, it is embarassing. My MB C200 Diesel (1.8l) was considerably faster, beating much lighter cars. But my wife is happier now since we have the KIA (less enervating as passenger). It must have something to do with a conservative engine control somewhere between my pedal and the cylinders. In the end (after several minutes) the Sportage can get to 180 kmh, but it is not comfortable and not suitable for the usual Autobahn behavior. I'll have to train my meekness.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all,

I became a proud new owner of a Kia Sportage 2, 1.6L petrol (61 plate), just short of 2 months ago, with about 7,500 miles on the clock. Both me and my family love this car - fabulous interior, beautiful exterior ... I've even been stopped when leaving my gym, by someone asking what it was ! Never had that before !
Love driving it - but I have one issue and wanted to know if it's just mine, or everyone with the same model suffers the same. It's gutless - there's no power. I am beaten away from the lights by everything on the road ... And I mean EVERYTHING. I daren't try and 'drop and go' to get past anything, because it takes an age to get the speed up.
The glossy promo brochures (and virtually every independent review site I looked at) state that it'll power away from 0-60 in an impressive 11 seconds ... Impressive indeed if it actually happened. In reality, it takes over 20 secs to amble it's way up to 60. If I'm unfortunate enough to exit a roundabout into the outside lane of a dual carriageway, I'm knackered - I end up with a queue behind me, until I get up to around 70, when the power eventually kicks in and I get some speed up.
The additional downside, is that I'm flooring the accelerator to try and get a more rapid increase in revs and of course that is impacting heavily on my mpg, which I simply can't get any higher than 31.2, 31.3 (mainly urban, with some dual carriageways).

It's the one thing that's preventing me from being 100% happy with what is a lovely car.

I wonder if anyone else has the same problem and would appreciate any thoughts, comments or suggestions.

Many thanks
I also have a Kia Sportage 1.6 and mine has no guts very disappointed with this side otherwise love the car

1 - 8 of 8 Posts