Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my Third Sportage, and I just got this brand new at Christmas.
Does anyone know under what parameters the ISG is supposed to work.

On my last one the engine would not cut out until the car had physically stopped and was super sensitive to restarting (IE touch clutch or Throttle or roll forward slightly and off shed go) It was so good that you never really realised it was doing it.

This Mild Hybrid is different , for example if I approach a junction in Third and clutch in to change to Second if my speed is below 20mph the engine cuts out only to restart (with a jolt) as I engage second.

This generally doesnt cause too many difficulties except I scared my self on Exmoor last week, whilst driving up a steep hill I went to change to second only for the ISG to stop the engine, as the speed bled off rapidly the engine didnt restart in second, I stopped and started to roll back. I then had to apply the park brake and restart on the key.

The dealer says they couldnt find anything wrong, but declined my offer to show them.

It has to go back in for a recall next week and I intend this time to demonstrate it, but wondered if anyone else had had a similar issue.

·
Super Moderator
3,798 Posts
The description for my 2.0 CRDi 48V from the brochure:-
Art Font Rectangle Circle Magenta

On mine it did do it a few times as I was slowing down, but the ISG hasn't worked since September last year I've not experienced your type of issue.

Reactions: Towtug

·
Registered
8 Posts
I am generally very pleased with the Sportage but the auto-stop system has been a safety issue for me several times. The engine often cuts out at around 20mph when slowing down but always restarts when needed. In traffic the Auto-stop seems to be fine EXCEPT occasionally when pulling away after crawling along, when the engine just dies. This has left me stranded across a busy road several times and was quite scary. It feels like a stall, but isn't, so you have to pump the clutch to get going (with in one case an HGV bearing down).

The car has been back to the dealership twice now. The first time they said the battery hadn't been properly charged at PDI and after an overnight trickle charge things did improve for a while. On the second visit they said the system is designed to cut out up to 20mph but they had no explanation for the "stalling". Their technician said "they all do it". I just wondered if anyone knows whether this is an intended feature of the Auto-Stop system or a fault? A friend with a Hyundai says their engine only stops at 0mph with the handbrake on and the car in neutral.

I can, and do, deactivate the autostop quite often now - especially if my wife is using the Sportage - being stuck across a carriageway is a situation to be avoided. But it rather defeats the object of the system in the first place.

Any views will be really welcomed, as it's the only disappointing feature of an otherwise really good vehicle (apart from not being able to use the radio without the engine running!!!!!!!)

·
Super Moderator
3,798 Posts
It is not a fault, it is a feature of the ISG. The image is from the 2020 Sportage brochure. It's not something I've had a problem with, basically because the ISG on my car does not work.
Font Art Circle Paper Paper product

·
Registered
8 Posts
This is my Third Sportage, and I just got this brand new at Christmas.
Does anyone know under what parameters the ISG is supposed to work.

On my last one the engine would not cut out until the car had physically stopped and was super sensitive to restarting (IE touch clutch or Throttle or roll forward slightly and off shed go) It was so good that you never really realised it was doing it.

This Mild Hybrid is different , for example if I approach a junction in Third and clutch in to change to Second if my speed is below 20mph the engine cuts out only to restart (with a jolt) as I engage second.

This generally doesnt cause too many difficulties except I scared my self on Exmoor last week, whilst driving up a steep hill I went to change to second only for the ISG to stop the engine, as the speed bled off rapidly the engine didnt restart in second, I stopped and started to roll back. I then had to apply the park brake and restart on the key.

The dealer says they couldnt find anything wrong, but declined my offer to show them.

It has to go back in for a recall next week and I intend this time to demonstrate it, but wondered if anyone else had had a similar issue.
Yes. I have just started a new thread today on my issues with the ISG on my otherwise excellent Sportage. It's scared me witless a few times by cutting out while pulling across a carriageway, and the dealership just says "they're all like that". The ISG seems to get confused when crawling in traffic and cuts out when accelerating away. Feels like a stall but isn't. I also think the manual could be clearer about the criteria and what to expect from the ISG, as other manufacturers' systems can be different. I've ended up switching the ISG off quite often to avoid dangerous situations.

·
Super Moderator
10,454 Posts
Only way to stall is by really dumping clutch, with no throttle.
Try slowly raising clutch with no throttle, car should pull away & run no problem. Can go through the whole set of gears without touching throttle.

To use radio without engine running. Press start button without pressing brake (Auto) Clutch (manual). Puts car in ACC mode. (y)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks. I don't mind it operating when slowing down at slow speeds as it always seems to restart OK. However, my real main concern is the the auto-stop occasionally seems to get confused at slow crawl speeds and cuts out when pulling away. As I said it's left me stranded across a busy carriageway more than once. Not fun !
Regards
KennytheK
Only way to stall is by really dumping clutch, with no throttle.
Try slowly raising clutch with no throttle, car should pull away & run no problem. Can go through the whole set of gears without touching throttle.

To use radio without engine running. Press start button without pressing brake (Auto) Clutch (manual). Puts car in ACC mode. (y)
Thanks for the quicken response. I agree about how hard it is to stall. I never have and my Sportage is really easy in this respect. My problem with the ISG is when it cuts the engine out as I'm pulling away after crawling (up to a junction usually). Can be dangerous and scary.

Thanks for the tip about the radio. Can you elaborate on this, as my radio won't switch on without the ignition fully on, regardless of whether I press the clutch. Can't find anything in the manual about it. A real pain when you want to listen to the Archers and have sandwich at lunchtime - continually interrupted by battery discharge warnings and then it switches off!

·
Super Moderator
10,454 Posts
Might have to press the on button on the radio (volume knob) to get it to work, as it tends to remember last setting. If never used will default to off.

When I got my Stonic I thought the same, then daughter got her Picanto & sales person ran through everything with her inc getting car into ACC mode.
He just said do not touch any of the pedals & press start button & radio etc will work.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Might have to press the on button on the radio (volume knob) to get it to work, as it tends to remember last setting. If never used will default to off.

When I got my Stonic I thought the same, then daughter got her Picanto & sales person ran through everything with her inc getting car into ACC mode.
He just said do not touch any of the pedals & press start button & radio etc will work.
Thanks, I'll have try. What do you mean by "start button"? My Sportage starts on the key.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the replies so far. My Sportage has been back to the dealers Three times now and each time they tell me it is how it should be , then counter that with something like "I can see why you would find it annoying".

Driving the way I was taught if I shift down the gears whilst approaching lights or a junction , if below about 20 mph the Engine cuts out as I clutch in and shift through neutral from second to first, only to immediately restart as I engage first. If I then stop and knock it out of gear it stops again.

I was always told that you should never be moving with the engine off as the car is out of control, maybe that advice has changed.
Going up hill at slow speeds can also cause some problems.
I now generally turn it off thus defeating the object.

As for stalling Ive noticed if you pull away and shift to 2nd a bit too early it will stall but then immediately restart.

·
Super Moderator
10,454 Posts
Thanks for the replies so far. My Sportage has been back to the dealers Three times now and each time they tell me it is how it should be , then counter that with something like "I can see why you would find it annoying".

Driving the way I was taught if I shift down the gears whilst approaching lights or a junction , if below about 20 mph the Engine cuts out as I clutch in and shift through neutral from second to first, only to immediately restart as I engage first. If I then stop and knock it out of gear it stops again.

I was always told that you should never be moving with the engine off as the car is out of control, maybe that advice has changed.
Going up hill at slow speeds can also cause some problems.
I now generally turn it off thus defeating the object.

As for stalling Ive noticed if you pull away and shift to 2nd a bit too early it will stall but then immediately restart.
With MHEV & hybrids as a whole the ICE engine does cut out, the EV side is powering the car.
So you are talking about coasting with engine off as that often means no power to many systems brakes/steering system. Totally different to how your car is working & nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
8 Posts
With MHEV & hybrids as a whole the ICE engine does cut out, the EV side is powering the car.
So you are talking about coasting with engine off as that often means no power to many systems brakes/steering system. Totally different to how your car is working & nothing to worry about.
As Towtug has said, the real problem is when the Autostop cuts the engine just as you are pulling away, usually after crawling in traffic. More than once this has left me stranded across a carriageway in the face of oncoming traffic. In those circumstances the key doesn't work so you are left pumping the clutch to get going. It's been a scary, dangerous situation at least twice now. No consolation to be told "They're all like that" by the dealership. So, I often disable the AutoStop in traffic, which makes it pointless.

I would have thought this is primarily a software issue that ought to be resolvable with an update patch. It would be good to think that someone at Kia is concerned enough to look at the problem and figure out a solution. It's the only feature of my Sportage (apart from not being able to play the radio without the engine running!) that I'm really unhappy with.

·
Super Moderator
10,454 Posts
As Towtug has said, the real problem is when the Autostop cuts the engine just as you are pulling away, usually after crawling in traffic. More than once this has left me stranded across a carriageway in the face of oncoming traffic. In those circumstances the key doesn't work so you are left pumping the clutch to get going. It's been a scary, dangerous situation at least twice now. No consolation to be told "They're all like that" by the dealership. So, I often disable the AutoStop in traffic, which makes it pointless.

I would have thought this is primarily a software issue that ought to be resolvable with an update patch. It would be good to think that someone at Kia is concerned enough to look at the problem and figure out a solution. It's the only feature of my Sportage (apart from not being able to play the radio without the engine running!) that I'm really unhappy with.

If your car has the stop/start button to play radio without engine running then press stop/start without foot on pedal & it will go into ACC mode. radio will play then. Do it all the time when leaving Mrs in car.
If you have a old style key, then just put in ACC mode, usually the stop before it starts engine.

·
Registered
8 Posts
If your car has the stop/start button to play radio without engine running then press stop/start without foot on pedal & it will go into ACC mode. radio will play then. Do it all the time when leaving Mrs in car.
If you have a old style key, then just put in ACC mode, usually the stop before it starts engine.
Nope. In ACC mode the radio only plays for a short while, accompanied by messages saying "Battery Discharge Warning - Play with the engine running". Then it cuts out and won't restart.
Really irritating as I quite often just want to stop for lunch and listen to the radio, That's been possible in every other car I've owned. It's also environmentally poor, nobody wants to be seen sitting in their car with the engine running just listening to the news!
But not as irritating, and unsafe, as the problem with the Auto Stop, which really needs addressing Kia.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts