Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

My Kia Sportage will fail to start after a couple of days sitting and it has a new battery and alternator. I did a parasitic draw test and it was drawing 160ma. I started pulling fuses and when I pulled the 10amp fuse for the battery sensor (i.e. the AMS or integral part of same) the draw drops to 50ma. (I have bonnet opened and car not put to sleep properly so I think the 50ma is ok)

So the battery sensor is either faulty? or is this telling me something else?

Am I possibly masking another item creating the draw by pulling this fuse?

Thanks

Barry

·
Registered
418 Posts
Hi Barry
Have you checked the simple things like making sure that the 'Boot' light goes out when the tailgate is shut and that the glove box light is out when glove box shut ?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
no but will do. But if I am pulling the 10amp fuse for the battery sensor and the high draw stops then it cannot be a light staying on? I believe the sensor can malfunction and send signals constantly to the ECU rather then every so often and so drain the battery. But I would rather have some sort of resistance/duty cycle test to perform on the sensor.

Will disconnecting the sensor throw an eml?

·
Registered
418 Posts
I only mentioned the 2 bulbs because I have seen people having battery probs because of it - although I would have thought 2 days was too short a time to flatten a new battery.
Sorry Barry I am not really very knowledgeable about electrics so unable to answer any diagnosis questions.

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
no but will do. But if I am pulling the 10amp fuse for the battery sensor and the high draw stops then it cannot be a light staying on? I believe the sensor can malfunction and send signals constantly to the ECU rather then every so often and so drain the battery. But I would rather have some sort of resistance/duty cycle test to perform on the sensor.

Will disconnecting the sensor throw an eml?
The change in parasitic drain when that fuse is removed is very telling.......BUT.....iIt is rare (but not impossible) for a fuse to be servicing only one device. The handbook and fuse box descriptions of each fuse are not comprehensive. You really need an electrical diagram to see what things are hanging off that fuse.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
agreed. thanks for the advice. I dont suppose anyone has an electrical diagram to hand? I will search the web.

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
Some simple maths reveals that 160 mA will deplete a battery by 1 Ah in a little over 6 hours so that's 4Ah per day. That will flatten a 45 Ah battery in about 10 days. While this seems to be an excessive drain it does not account for a flat battery after two days. Summat else wrong there.

Have you measured the parasitic drain with the car propeerly shut down and left for 20 minutes - some peeps on here report that the drain declines to a low value after being left for a while.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yes, I measured the drain today after the car had been sitting all night with just the hood open. It was the same 160mA.
I also suspect the battery may not have been getting charged correctly with the battery sensor faulty. So its like a double whammy.

At the rate of 160mA, how long before it get the battery to below 9.6volts? Below this, it will/should not crank. The battery will not be flat, in fact at 3/4s of the ideal voltage but will not have enough to crank.

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
yes, I measured the drain today after the car had been sitting all night with just the hood open. It was the same 160mA.
I also suspect the battery may not have been getting charged correctly with the battery sensor faulty. So its like a double whammy.

At the rate of 160mA, how long before it get the battery to below 9.6volts? Below this, it will/should not crank. The battery will not be flat, in fact at 3/4s of the ideal voltage but will not have enough to crank.
A lead acid battery at 9.6 volts under no load is toast and will probably never recover from that. A fully discharged lead acid battery will be about 11.5 V and fully charged will be about 13.4 V, both measured at rest. Over this range the charge state is approximately linear with voltage (goes a but curvy at the extremes), but must be measured at rest.

You should see better than 14V at the battery with the engine runing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts