Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

Posting this after our 2013 1.7 Diesel Sportage left my OH and our 8 month old stranded in Lane 2 of the A1 in rush hour this morning... By the time I got to her she had managed to get it off the carriageway to the side of the road thankfully, but she was distraught and very shaken up. The engine management light was on, and using my Bluetooth ODB reader i was able to see a fault code of P1186 - which relates to fuel supply.

I cleared the code and then I drove the car to the next junction - driving fine now - and got it home without further issue.

We've owned this car since the end of Feb last year, so this is the first winter we've had it, and it's not skipped a beat until now...

After some googling, and reading many posts on here, is is fair for me to assume that this issue is down to a combination of the fuel filter and the cold weather? It was -2/-3 here last night and we've had snow. Should I look to replace the fuel filter to solve this problem, or is there a more underlying issue I should be looking at? If it is just the filter should I make that a regular thing when I service the car?

Thanks

James

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
I wonder how old the fuel is as it may not have the additive that is put in for winter use.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No idea, as I say we only bought the car about a year ago, i've done oil and filters change because it didn't have much history past the first 4 years of ownership.

What is this additive that you speak of?

·
Banned
5,229 Posts
Diesel fuel producers add some jollop to fuel in the winter to prevent it from waxing. If due to lockdown your fuel is summer fuel then it won't have the additive.

·
Super Moderator
4,984 Posts
No idea, as I say we only bought the car about a year ago, i've done oil and filters change because it didn't have much history past the first 4 years of ownership.

What is this additive that you speak of?
In Winter fuel at the pump has a additive to help prevent icing of the diesel.

If you have little service history, then I would get a full service done, ensuring that they change the fuel filter.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Diesel fuel producers add some jollop to fuel in the winter to prevent it from waxing. If due to lockdown your fuel is summer fuel then it won't have the additive.
Didn't know this, thanks for the info. Last fill up was at the beginning of January, and despite lockdown and everything else last year the car's not really sat for any length of time.

I'm planning on changing the fuel filter either tomorrow or Friday.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Just posted this on another thread :

Everyone on 1.7 diesels and is this happening in cold weather ?

Years ago there were loads of posts on here about it - thicker fuel, only one pump (2.0 diesels have two) blocked fuel filters getting blamed etc.

I can’t remember all the details but it may be worth searching back 8+ years if you fit the criteria noted above.

WD :)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just posted this on another thread :

I did read through a very lengthy thread with lots of people suffering these issues, and in fact added my post onto the end of that thread, but a Mod decided it would be better if I started a new thread 🤷‍♂️.

Ultimately i'm just looking for some reassurance that if I change the fuel filter on Friday I can then send my OH and 8 month old off in the Kia with some confidence and not have a repeat of this morning...

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
As my boss used to say "Just do it" No-one can guarantee that will be the cure but neither can any other suggestion 'till you try it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
To be honest untill you have changed filter you wont know that will be first job and see how you go keep us inform how you get on good luck
Cheers Rob, it's on the to do list for tomorrow - weather pending - i'm going to try and take a few pics as I go to hopefully help others in the future. Will report back soon...

·
Registered
140 Posts
Great it is one of the jobs i am going to have a go at been looking at you tube seems to be a bit tricky few things you need to remove first

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Great it is one of the jobs i am going to have a go at been looking at you tube seems to be a bit tricky few things you need to remove first
I found this video this afternoon -
- which is acctually on a Hyundai 1.7 CRDI, but think it's largely exactly the same. The video is in Italian, but there's plenty to see and look at. Looks to me (at least for a first go at this) that it's battery out, ECU unbolted and moved out the way or removed, then you can access the filter housing.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Dont look to bad maybe have a go when time is right warranty runs out in March so going to be doing a few jobs myself after this

·
Registered
8 Posts
All that, just to change a fuel filter! What kind of an idiot designed that. I used to change fuel filters on articulated lorries and they took about three minutes from start to finish!(including bleeding the system!)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Managed to do this in less than an hour on Saturday. Was actually pretty straight forward, and i'm sure it'll be even quicker next time I do it.

Going to put a little bit of a guide together for anyone else needing/wanting to attempt this on their 1.7CRDI, will share that once it's uploaded.

Cheers

J

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
All that, just to change a fuel filter! What kind of an idiot designed that. I used to change fuel filters on articulated lorries and they took about three minutes from start to finish!(including bleeding the system!)
According to the manual, Kia state it is ''maintenance free', but then say should be inspected periodically. Let's face it, if you're going to remove it from the vehicle to inspect it then you might as well just replace it! 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Just a note for diesel vehicle users:

From the start of autum, only fill the tank with winter diesel. To find out which stations have winter diesel in their tanks, one will have to ask or call the supplier. Once you find a seller with winter diesel, stick with them even if it costs more.
A fuel retailer could have a mix in their tank/s, probably more likely with the low price retailers.
If the winter diesel leaves one of the 7 UK refineries good for -12 deg, is then diluted in the retailers tank, then again in the consumers tank, it may well have lost the required cold weather properties for some areas.
Not all diesel sold in the UK during the winter period is "winter diesel".

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Not all diesel sold in the UK during the winter period is "winter diesel".
This is interesting Jack, and as someone who's had many diesel cars in the past, not something i've heard of. Do you have a link to a source for further reading please?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts