Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Sportage 1.6 CRDi '4' DCT Mild Hybrid
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not sure this is the right forum for this but I don't use any of the others so I'm just following habit.
Unfortunately my Sportage will very probably have to go. We are stuck in Greece because of the covid travel restrictions and no idea when we can get the vaccine here so we can travel and enter the UK safely.
By no fault of our own the car under EU law is now illegal because we have been here for more than the 183 days making me open to fines or/and confiscation. I can't even drive to the nearest Kia garage here to get it's first service which was originally planned to be done in the UK at the end of this month.
I have had quotes between €5500-7500 to have it transferred on to Greek plates which is for me is a ridiculous financial route to go down. We do seem to be spending more time in Greece these days so I will look into buying a Sportage here but they don't seem to have the same range of specifications which seems odd, but we are in Greece.
I was wondering if anyone knew of a good trusted shipping company and suggestions for a good platform to sell the car on bearing I won't be on hand to deal with the sale. I feel sure if I went back to the Kia dealer I would get a poor deal.
Any good advice will be appreciated.

·
Registered
525 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,312 Posts
Moved to main message section as might get a better bunch of replies, given not really car specific.

Hope you got the previous car issues sorted.

Looks like a trailer job. Given the exceed 6 months limit. Which should really have been relaxed given Covid, to allow people to get home.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Have a look here, maybe a start. AutoShippers Car Shipping | Shipping Cars Overseas
There are also independent couriers in the UK who quote on a one off basis for transport of items all over Europe. You could try a website called Shiply: The Transport Marketplace - Get Delivery Quotes.

Maybe a trustworthy family member or friend, or even a forum member could then deal with the potential sale privately in the UK for you?
Thanks, I've put in for an on line quote with AutoShippers and it actually linked through to Shiply site.
I also put out for a quote off We Buy Any Car and they came back with £20.2k which of course is an insult to the educated. When I tried them with my X3 they came back after a week or so and offered another £1k and in the end I got £2k more advertising elsewhere. At the end of the day in my position I may have little choice.

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
Are you sure there is no leeway because of the unexpected circumstances?. It would be illegal for you to drive your car out of Greece and it seems manifectly unfair. I appreciate that there might be lanmguage difficulties - have you tried the British Embassy for advice? I would hope that GB would not treat stranded Greeks so badly.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here in Greece the rules are still in their infancy for the Brits even though we have now become Third World Nationals, this being the same as say the Yanks, Aussies, Kiwi's etc. Except we happened to be here on the 31/12/20 which gives us certain extra rights under the Withdrawal Agreement but unfortunately not on the car. I got in touch with the Greek Consulate and they told me to get in touch with the Customs Office, this I haven't and won't because it may open up a whole can of worms that can't be put back in the can
My car is road legal as far as the UK and to the pre 183 day EU rule is concerned. Other than the Greek rule which may be lax or not, there is also the Schengen rulings which could be more of a problem at worst clearing the EU for home.
For one I will never put any trust in Brussels for now or ever again.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Moved to main message section as might get a better bunch of replies, given not really car specific.

Hope you got the previous car issues sorted.

Looks like a trailer job. Given the exceed 6 months limit. Which should really have been relaxed given Covid, to allow people to get home.
Thanks for this, I was unsure at the time what to do but I will go with your advice. While we are on can you please give me a personal appraisal on your Niro and Stonic.

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
Thanks for this, I was unsure at the time what to do but I will go with your advice. While we are on can you please give me a personal appraisal on your Niro and Stonic.
Niro - a big thumbs up!

·
Super Moderator
4,312 Posts
PM sent.

But I prefer Niro, even after 3 weeks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts