Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The whole data such as speed limits & roads works is something that I have wondered about for while & how the data is shared.

There is frustration regarding the lack of collaboration between organisations when closing roads on the network. Although there are existing systems (such as Elgin’s one.network, which is used by 95% of local authorities) there are no programmes that display all planned and unplanned road closures geospatially across the entire road network. The biggest challenge is that some of the private sector solutions do not receive information from Highways England (and therefore do not display a national view of all roadworks and road closures).
So it appears that there is not a single integrated system for the data. Which could explain why in some area's people see one way streets that have been like it for years as wrong in the mapping (that local authority is in the 5% not using the main system). So Navigation co's are not picking up the data, as it will be a issue for them to integrate whichever system is used into their system.

3rd party supplier Page 13
For speed restriction data, we had to reach out to each borough separately and the format varied immensely. Text data on some days, emails or pdf on other days. Within the same cities itself, the data comes in different formats.
Skimming through the piece shows just how badly managed the whole system is. So there is no wonder navigation companies struggle to get it right.
Only the likes of Google & Apple who have the resources to send their own data gathering teams out seem to stand a chance.

Page 19 Corporate Lead, local authority
It is difficult working with Highways England because they prioritise their network and dump their traffic onto local networks at short notice.”
With comments like this it's a joke. Local should be working with them. Of course major roads require priority & local authorities should be working with HA. Not slamming them for doing their job.

But given the whole history of national based IT systems. I can never see anything like a single system that will solve the issue. Coming in on time & on budget. If they ever decide to start one.

·
Registered
On Order: Sportage GT Line S PHEV in Infra Red
410 Posts
Only the likes of Google & Apple who have the resources to send their own data gathering teams out seem to stand a chance.
Agree 110%. This is likely the only way to get consitant data across the entire country - use one source for it all.

I currently use Google Maps via Android Auto myself for this reason. I came to this via a long journey via Waze, TomTom, and a brief sortie with Garmin. I used TomTom for most of 2009-2015ish and covered 50K in and around the South East and London and swore by it, now its just not as good as it was. Waze was great for traffic reports in London, but where i am now in the wilds of Yorkshire the lack of users means that there is little or no reporting of issues. So, Google Maps it is for now.

But given the whole history of national based IT systems. I can never see anything like a single system that will solve the issue. Coming in on time & on budget. If they ever decide to start one.
Never going to happen, unless they can funnel a multi-billion £ project to one of their mates which will then never actually work or come to completion.

Reactions: iooi
1 - 2 of 2 Posts