Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
This has been covered on here before so try a little searching. IIRC BIRDMAN is the authority on this problem. Something to do with a nylon drive from the gearbox I think.

·
Registered
4,553 Posts
The nut that tightens the flange on the output of the gearbox that the prop bolts onto.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I got underneath today and tried to loosen the bolts on the rear propshaft. They're bloody tight and every time I tried to shift one I could see the shaft lifting slightly and could hear a hissing noise. So I gave up.

I assume it's the rear propshaft I loosen. The TOD seems to fit onto the end of the gearbox with no intervening shaft?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hello,

I think you may just have solved a problem that's begun to raise its ugly head on the Sorento I recently bought. I noticed that the speedo would drop and recover its reading the other day, then last night I was driving at motorway speed (65 - 70mph) and engaged the cruise control. It engaged OK, but then suddenly started speeding up and slowing down rather alarmingly. I could see that every time it did this the speedo was dropping and recovering.

My conclusion is that the cruise control is linked directly to the speedo, and if that becomes erratic, then so does the cruise control.

So thanks for giving me a clue as to what the problem could be. I'll get under the car during the next few days and see if the big nut you've mentioned is loose. If it is, do you know what the torque setting should be for it by any chance?

Many thanks,

·
Registered
4,553 Posts
I cannot make any clearer you need to drop the propshaft end that is bolted to the flange,back of gearbox where transfer box bolts on. Then put a socket on the large center nut and tighten.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well. The garage have tightened the propshaft nut. No good. Removed speedo and checked connection. No good. Their next thing to try is the speed sensor and then the speedo drive itself but that appears to be seized into the gearbox casing.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Crickleymal,

I recently read in a forum post somewhere about someone else who had the same problem as you (and me!). Apparently he cured it by making sure the two tyres on his back axle were within 1mm of wear of each other, and also made sure to keep the tyre pressures equal.

Personally I don't understand how this could cure the problem, but he reckoned it did. Unless the speedo drive from the gearbox operates in conjunction with the wheel speed sensors? In which case it could have a disrupting effect if one wheel is going faster than another.

According to the workshop manual I've got, the speedo reads the sensors on the short shaft at the skew gear on the gearbox. It says that when the skew gear is doing 1,062 rpm you multiply that figure by the 4 sensors on the gear shaft and the speedo reads that as 60mph. I've just used the calculator to get the numbers and at 60 mph (1 mile per minute) there are 4,248 blips per minute. Therefore at 10 mph there are 708 blips, at 20 mph there are 1,416, at 30 mph there are 2,124, etc.

So if you wanted to bypass the skew gear and mount your own sensors somewhere else, you can in theory work out how many sensors to fit by measuring the overall diameter of the rear wheels to find the rolling circumference, then divide a mile by that in order to get the number of wheel revs per mile. After that it becomes easier to work out how many sensors to use and where to put them in order to get the same figure as quoted in the manual. Right pain in the a**e to do though.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Personally I can't see that. My tyres are new so hopefully within 1mm of each other although I haven't checked the pressure recently. The problem didn't change after they were fitted either. If it was true the speed would alter every time you went round a corner. In my case it goes doolaly if I hit a pot hole or change from acceleration to deceleration.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts