Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody else have issues with the speed camera warning on a smart motorway. If I set the current variable speed or 70mph as I approach a camera the camera over the speed limit warning goes off constantly. Even though the speed is set at the actual limit. This is happening when the variable speed limit goes from 50 / 60 / 70 on a GT Line S HEV. The only way to stop this happening is to maintain a vehicle speed below the actual limit or disable the camera awareness setting.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Does anybody else have issues with the speed camera warning on a smart motorway. If I set the current variable speed or 70mph as I approach a camera the camera over the speed limit warning goes off constantly. Even though the speed is set at the actual limit. This is happening when the variable speed limit goes from 50 / 60 / 70 on a GT Line S HEV. The only way to stop this happening is to maintain a vehicle speed below the actual limit or disable the camera awareness setting.
this maybe down to the calibration of the fixed speed warning on a motorway having to be almost zero tolerance in detecting vehicle speeds, i know when driving my coach i can go through roadworks or a smart motorway speed limit without setting off the camera and still be overtaking cars going along at what they think is the correct speed because their own speedo is not calibrated accurately and can be + or - 1-2 mph out, lorries and coaches speedo`s have to be calibrated by law with almost no tolerance in speed allowed.

The short of it is your vehicle could be 2mph over yet read 70mph when your actual speed could be 72mph, the reason why you`re setting off the trigger

·
Registered
Stonic 1st Edition
1,475 Posts
The short of it is your vehicle could be 2mph over yet read 70mph when your actual speed could be 72mph, the reason why you`re setting off the trigger
Speedo must not under read, if the speedo says 70 then real speed can be less - it must never be more.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Speedo must not under read, if the speedo says 70 then real speed can be less - it must never be more.
is that not what i wrote??
Westcountryman said:
The short of it is your vehicle could be 2mph over yet read 70mph when your actual speed could be 72mph, the reason why you`re setting off the trigger.

you think you are doing 70mph by your speedo reading yet actual speed could be 72mph therefore setting off the speeding alert for exceeding 70mph!!

·
Registered
Stonic 1st Edition
1,475 Posts
is that not what i wrote??
Westcountryman said:
The short of it is your vehicle could be 2mph over yet read 70mph when your actual speed could be 72mph, the reason why you`re setting off the trigger.

you think you are doing 70mph by your speedo reading yet actual speed could be 72mph therefore setting off the speeding alert for exceeding 70mph!!
I have read your post a few times and the only way I can interpret it is that your are suggesting the actual speed may be 72 MPH when the Speedo says 70 MPH - that would be wrong.

The Speedo must not under read i.e. it must not display a speed of 70 when the actual speed is 72.

·
Registered
2021 Soul EV FE
280 Posts
I wondered if the car's software is doing some calculations in km/h and converting to mph with rounding errors.
It seems reasonable to think that Kia work in km internally and convert to miles for certain markets. When complying with road speed limits they may be working with miles-based limits in the data-model (and converting), or the data model for our roads might have km, needing to be converted for display. When displaying mph on the dash they have to be sure that speeds like '70' are not accidentally over 70.0. It only takes a small coding hiccup to make mistakes with rounding or "less than" rather than "less than or equal to" tests

I agree that it is really frustrating to be doing the speed which has every instrument (the dash and the nav) showing the right speed. Additionally you can have set the cruise to be that speed and yet the head unit bongs because the '70' of the limit is being exceeded by the '70' displayed and the '70' set!
Other cars are all doing the same speed. I don't want to drop my speed to be different.
And BTW GPS on another phone in the car confirms the straight-line speed to be typically 2-3 mph below the car's indicated speed.

I wish Kia's chimes for over-speed could be given some alternative non-continuous setting. E.g. a configurable number of chimes to warn, then they stop. It should be like an attentive passenger. They remind you, then they shut-up. They remind you again if you complied but then let your speed accidentally trip over the limit again.
....you know that sort of passenger ;)

Reactions: JamJar

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
I have read your post a few times and the only way I can interpret it is that your are suggesting the actual speed may be 72 MPH when the Speedo says 70 MPH - that would be wrong.

The Speedo must not under read i.e. it must not display a speed of 70 when the actual speed is 72.
So you drive up through the roadworks with a mandatory 50mph and you are doing 50mph yet a lorry or coach can pass you and not be "breaking the law" as his calibrated tachograph is showing 50mph also, whose Speedo is wrong? They both can't do the same speed and yet the lorry will still pass the car...I know the answer,and it's not the lorry or coach

·
Registered
304 Posts
So you drive up through the roadworks with a mandatory 50mph and you are doing 50mph yet a lorry or coach can pass you and not be "breaking the law" as his calibrated tachograph is showing 50mph also, whose Speedo is wrong? They both can't do the same speed and yet the lorry will still pass the car...I know the answer,and it's not the lorry or coach
Your speedometer reads 50mph but, as it is not allowed by law to under represent your speed, you may well actually be doing , say, 48mph. Thus an HGV with an accurately calibrated speedometer which is displaying 50mph is actually doing 50mph and so overtakes you.

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
I agree with 'Radiorail'. Moreover, I have rarely ever heard the sound generated as I don't find any need to push the speed limit anywhere. It isn't compulsory to drive on the limit but it is illegal to exceed the maximum speed indicated on road signs. 😇

·
Registered
Stonic 1st Edition
1,475 Posts
My Stonic speedo indicates 50 MPH when the speed on the Nav screen hovers between 48/49 MPH. This is true for all speeds, there is at least a 1 MPH difference between the GPS speed shown on the Nav screen and the speedo display. i.e. the speedo reads a higher speed that actual (GPS) speed. I'm sure that manufacturers do this to ensure compliance with the law that the speedo must not under-read. In essence the average cars speedo is always wrong as it is indicating a speed above actual.

If I'm driving in roadworks / average speed check areas with a 50 MPH limit I will engage cruise control when the Nav screen shows 49/50 MPH even though the speedo may show 52/3 MPH - but I know that I am still complying with the speed limit.

Further reading; https://hansard.parliament.uk/lords...ce-4441-86ac-7e04348d8bdb/SpeedometerAccuracy
"These requirements are that the indicated speed must not be more than 10 per cent of the true speed plus 4 km/h. In production, however, a slightly different tolerance of 5 per cent plus 10 km/h is applied. "
The requirements are also that the indicated speed must never be less than the true speed.
A vehicle meeting these requirements would not be able to travel at a greater speed than that shown on the speedometer and a driver could not, therefore, inadvertently exceed speed restrictions.
Her Majesty's Government have no plans to introduce instrument tests.

·
Registered
2021 Soul EV FE
280 Posts
My Stonic speedo indicates 50 MPH when the speed on the Nav screen hovers between 48/49 MPH. This is true for all speeds, there is at least a 1 MPH difference between the GPS speed shown on the Nav screen and the speedo display. i.e. the speedo reads a higher speed that actual (GPS) speed. I'm sure that manufacturers do this to ensure compliance with the law that the speedo must not under-read. In essence the average cars speedo is always wrong as it is indicating a speed above actual.

If I'm driving in roadworks / average speed check areas with a 50 MPH limit I will engage cruise control when the Nav screen shows 49/50 MPH even though the speedo may show 52/3 MPH - but I know that I am still complying with the speed limit.

Further reading; https://hansard.parliament.uk/lords...ce-4441-86ac-7e04348d8bdb/SpeedometerAccuracy
"These requirements are that the indicated speed must not be more than 10 per cent of the true speed plus 4 km/h. In production, however, a slightly different tolerance of 5 per cent plus 10 km/h is applied. "
The requirements are also that the indicated speed must never be less than the true speed.
A vehicle meeting these requirements would not be able to travel at a greater speed than that shown on the speedometer and a driver could not, therefore, inadvertently exceed speed restrictions.
Interesting that you can observe a discrepancy between speedo and nav. I don't see that on my Soul EV, but maybe I just need to look out for it harder at various other speeds! :)

Using "Set" to set the cruise speed might be a way that I could set the speed perhaps fractionally under the limit, perhaps I can find a speed which is clang-free and still displays as 70 and then "set" to that?
I know that nudging the cruise to what displays as 50,60,70 results in clangs - which is annoying.
In essence the average cars speedo is always wrong as it is indicating a speed above actual.
Yep - that does seem consistent with even fairly pushy London commuter traffic...
In my (occasional) experience of roads such as the M4, M40 and A40 out of London at busy times, many cars are complying (because of average speed cameras) and are doing a speed just under the limit (measured by GPS) and the exact speed shown on my speedo, a few are pushing for the "probably get away with it" limit+10% (on the speedo)... and then there are some Audis.

To stop the damned car from whinging I need to be setting the car to cruise at 69 or driving very accurately at 69 (or less) or I will trigger noises. At the same time I have independent GPS saying I am well under the limit.
When traffic is 3 lanes abreast doing a displayed 70 I don't want to be the car that has to be a bit slower with everything very slowly going past and changing lanes.... just because the car's software says one thing but warns of another

·
Registered
Stonic 1st Edition
1,475 Posts
Not sure if this will help those who want to turn off/reduce the Bing Bongs of the speed alerts but you could try ;
(these observations are for my Stonic 1st Edition so may not match other variations/versions)

a) On map screen hit the Nav /Loudspeaker target, 3rd down on LH side

Font Plant Gadget Technology Gas

This will bring up a volume menu as follows;

Audio equipment Electronic instrument Font Gadget Machine

b) adjust the Sound Effect bar as this seems to be the Bongs volume.

I have not been able to check if this affects the Overspeed Bongs but it seems that it probably will (the Stonic does not have general overspeed bongs only when in range of Safety / Speed cameras or average speed cameras)

If someone can try and report back it will be informative.

·
Registered
Stonic 1st Edition
1,475 Posts
Interesting that you can observe a discrepancy between speedo and nav. I don't see that on my Soul EV, but maybe I just need to look out for it harder at various other speeds! :)
It's possible that with an EV it is easier to get a direct road speed indication from the drive chain as it's direct so the tolerance built into the speedo can be less than for a ICE. Hence the speedo closely matches the GPS speed. It's also possible that a different speedo technology is used - it could be radar based.

Reactions: RobinB

·
Registered
2021 Soul EV FE
280 Posts
Not disagreeing with any of those other possibilities for how the number is arrived at. It seems to me that it is in the interests of all car manufacturers to make whatever fudge-factor allowance for indicated dashboard speed also, similarly, adjust down any displayed speed in the navigation.... otherwise people would ask difficult questions about why the car gives two different speeds and would choose to adhere to whichever suited them - so even if the speedo comes from some direct measurement and the nav unit from GPS they would likely attempt to compensate the numbers uniformly down so as to say safe within the regulations. ...is my guess.

Regardless of what they are doing it still leaves the car doing something which is on the face of it wrong.
I don't want to lower the volume or silence it. The purpose is to rightly alert me.
BTW I only get the bongs when approaching a camera or in an average speed area (it isn't for over-speed elsewhere).
...but we have miles of average speed road around here. I could probably spend 40 minutes driving along average speed managed road on any number of different journeys. That's when it becomes tedious. I don't want to fail to keep up with the flow - I don't want to silence useful warnings - I don't want to speed - I don't want to be "warned" (constantly) of doing spot on the speed with all the other road users.
I don't recall the problem in the first ~5-6 months of ownership - I'm not sure if it was December '21 or Feb '22 update which seems to have brought this about. Extensive stretches of "average-speed restriction" on the M4 are not new!

As @Deep_Diver originally said - we are doing the correct speed and we know/understand that the car is "playing safe" with indicated speed. What are Kia doing wrong that results in warnings at the safe speed (it's not even as if you have just rolled over a hill-top and are accidentally gaining some fractional speed)

·
Registered
Stonic 1st Edition
1,475 Posts
Never noticed any difference between speedo (digital) & speed shown on head unit when using Kia maps.
Consistent 2/3 MPH difference on my ICE Stonic, the display on the Nav (GPS speed) matches the GPS speed when I use my phone to check, the Instrument cluster speed is always higher. (as I said there may be difference with EVs)

I am pretty sure all manufacturers arrange things so that the speedo display always reads high - to ensure that the driver cannot use 'my speedo is wrong' as a defence!

EDIT:

The law for car speedometers in the UK

The UK law is based on the EU standard, with some minor changes. A speedo must never show less than the actual speed, and must never show more than 110% of actual speed + 6.25mph.
So if your true speed is 40mph, your speedo could legally be reading up to 50.25mph but never less than 40mph. Or to put it another way, if your speedo is reading 50mph, you won’t be doing more than 50mph but it’s possible you might actually only be travelling at 40mph.
To ensure that they comply with the law and make sure that their speedometers are never showing less than true speed under any foreseeable circumstances, car manufacturers will normally deliberately calibrate their speedos to read ‘high’ by a certain amount. As your satnav is not the designated device by which a car’s speed is measured, it does not need to incorporate any fudge factoring.
(my bold)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)

On previous Sportage Models, like your Stolic the Nav screen data is derived from GPS speed. However, on the new Sportage it is not, the displayed speed appears to be taken from the same feed as the digital dashboard Speedo. When using Ways on the Phone the actual GPS speed, as to be expected is below that of the dash indicated speed. I did consider km/mph rounding errors but the system bongs at 40/50/60/70 mph. On my previous Sportage, the over speed alert would Trigger at approx the speed limit +2 mph. I suggest that as it happens exactly at the speed limit, the alert has been poorly coded to trigger exactly at the limit. There are massive differences in the quality of the current infotainment Software Build between Gen 4 and 5 Sportage’s and in my opinion the later is retrograde to previous versions on earlier models. I get that this is a new model and software can glitch but a new release shouldn’t be worse or less quality than older versions. So far I’ve found the Post Code issue, the fact that some POIs don’t display, others do even when deselected, random fast food icons in housing estates, fuel prices no longer show( petrol stations don’t show at all, but the retail element of the garage does even when both selected to show), the most annoying speed alert when you’re not actually speeding and DAB drop out in areas where it previously worked fine and still does on other Kia models. Hoping the next software drop cures all.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts