Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

Registered
Optima Sportwagon CRD 3 ISG DCT
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi new the Owners Club so just wondering if any one has bothered or tried this. I've got a 3 Spec Optima with Hardon Karman system in it and it has the Bass/ Boom (or whatever it is... actually what is it and what does it do????) BOX under the boot floor where a 2 Spec would have a Space Saver Spare Wheel (and jack, W/ Brace etc in the hole. Has anyone attended/ made work fitting a SSSW in their 3 Spec by putting the Base Box inside the wheel. I've seen it done on Audis but wondered if it was possible with an Optima. If anyone has how did they do it(???). Although the car comes with a bottle of sealant I don't like the idea of knackering a tyre and the sealant can't be used (a blow out for example and the sidewall is damaged with a hole) and having to wait for the AA/ RAC etc to rescue me when I could fit my Spare Wheel I was carrying. I'm a mechanic by trade so changing wheels is bread and butter stuff for me.
Sorry for the rather long post but just thought I'd ask out of curiosity. I'll have a proper look when I've time so see if it is in fact possible.
Cheers in advanced
Rich 馃榿

Registered
Optima Sportwagon CRD 3 ISG DCT
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Rich. I had the same issue. I simply got a space saver wheel, put it in the well upside down, so the the dish faced upwards, and then cut out a piece of plywood with a hole in the middle to mount the speaker out of the bass box. Made the outside diameter so that it fitted just inside the rim of the wheel. Plugged it in and away you go. To be honest I have not noticed any difference with the quality of the sound from the HK system. Worst bit was trying to cut two circles in a piece of wood. I am no carpenter !!!
Ah that's sounds a brilliant way to overcome the problem of no space for a SSW. 馃憤馃憤 Have you got any pics of what it looks like by any chance?? Did you take the subwoofer apart or modify the outer shell to make it fit??
I've got a 2018 ISG 3 and had the same issue. However, I actually bought a full size alloy wheel, removed the sub-woofer and placed it inside the spare wheel once it was in the wheel well. It fits perfectly and once packed carefully with some flex-foam, is snug as a bug. Have driven 20,000+ miles including a trip to Belgium over the last 12 months (the reason for wanting a spare wheel) and I've not had any problems. Have a spare wheel and a functioning sub-woofer for the excellent Harmon Kardon system. Win win.
That's an amazingly good idea, where did you get the full size spare from? Is it the same rim as the ones on your car or a small diameter (from a 2 spec for example)?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts