Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had 3 punctures on my 68 plate Optima Sportswagon in 6 months. Due to this I decided to buy a space saver spare wheel from the Internet and I'm waiting for it to arrive.
I've looked at the spare wheel well today and it is occupied with a large black box type device that is bolted in and has electric cables connected to it. Does anybody have any idea what it is and how I can store my space saver when it arrives??

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
Does anybody have any idea what it is and how I can store my space saver when it arrives??
Welcome to the KIA forum, ‘Crabbers1981’.

If your’s, like mine, is equipped with the Harmon Kardon amp and sub-woofer, then that's what the underfloor gubbins is likely to be.

I purchased a full-size alloy and Michelin tyre just after I bought my car because I expected to be back and forward to Spain a lot. Unfortunately, various medical conditions have trapped me in a continuing cycle of hospital appointments in the UK and I have never used the spare which is kept in my shed. The idea of a flat tyre in the UK has never troubled me as I would simply call for the breakdown people to take me home or to a tyrefitter as I don’t carry the spare.

On mainland Europe though, I’d carry the spare in the luggage area with the jack and tools so that I can avoid the aggro of calling the Gendarmerie or Guardia Civil if I have a puncture.

Three punctures in six months is more than irritating so I feel for you on that score. Perhaps I have been lucky but I don’t think I have had three in six decades!

·
Registered
783 Posts
The idea of a flat tyre in the UK has never troubled me as I would simply call for the breakdown people to take me home or to a tyrefitter as I don’t carry the spare.
The last time I needed recovery it was far from simple. Broke down on a trunk road (fuel pump) and was promised an agent within the hour since I was in a vulnerable position. I was lied to all afternoon, eventually they arrived 5 hours after my call.

So if you expect to get home soon after a puncture don't hold your breath, it may not happen. You would be spitting feathers knowing you had a spare and jack in the shed.

Even if the miraculously arrived quickly what could they do other than recover you if it was a Sunday afternoon when no tyre shops are open. Dragging the car onto and off the flatbed would no doubt knacker the wheel.

I would never be without a spare. The wife might not be able to change it but since she never goes out of a 40 mile radius form home without me. I could probably be there faster than the RAC to sort it if it looked like a long wait.

Last puncture we had was about 3 years ago and on the drive. But it will happen again, its inevitable and without a spare your day could be ruined.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Even if the miraculously arrived quickly what could they do other than recover you if it was a Sunday afternoon when no tyre shops are open. Dragging the car onto and off the flatbed would no doubt knacker the wheel.
Depending on where the puncture is obviously , the main breakdown services have vans capable of puncture repair. A few years back, I waited 7hrs for one such van. Since then I've carried a spare, even if it is a space saver.

·
Registered
321 Posts
If the breakdown company can repair you in 4 hrs they do not have to recover you ! (their terms and conditions) this can include calling out a 24hr tyre company at your expense and little choice of tyre make/price.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts