Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to get the spare wheel out on my old 2003 Rio, but the black plastic retaining bolt just goes round and round without coming out. Anyone got any ideas on how to get it out, or should I just rip it out with brute force?

·
Registered
61 Posts
From what you are saying, it must be slackened off a bit, so pull the tyre up against the wingnut, and see if that helps. I think the bottom end of the bolt should be square and if lifted up enough it should lock itself into the hole in the fitting that holds the tyre down.
You can as a last resort take a hammer and chisel to it, and try to break the wingnut off the bolt.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Got brutal with it this weekend. I drilled through the centre of the plastic about 1cm, then I could see a metal bolt underneath. As the plastic knob rotated, the metal bolt just stayed where is was. I used a hole cutter tool on a drill to remove most of the plastic knob, then smashed the rest off with a hammer and chisel. Got the spare out then had a look at the bolt. It had rusted solid. I got some mole grips on it, sprayed it with wd40and tried to get it out, but in the end it just sheared off . I drilled out the rest of the bolt and at some point I might re-thread it and find something better to retain the spare.

Looks like I've also got the leaky boot syndrome others have talked about. There was about an inch of water in the spare wheel recess. The bottom of the jack was in the water and its base has almost totally rusted away!
Edited by: M4trundler

·
Registered
61 Posts
I hope you took out a couple of the rubber seals in the wheelwell. It will not cure the leak, which seems to be an unwanted extra on the Rio, but at least it will allow the 'well to drain.
The water may be coming in through the rear window, I noticed that at the bottom of the window the rain accumulates, and in fact I have had a bit of rust on the metal ledge, so had to rubb it down and fix it. Next move is to seal the window with clear silicant, otherwise it will still allow rain to make ingress to the inside of the car, leaking out of the boot, and trailing into the wheelwell.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts