Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a a 2020 Niro 4 and around a month or so ago ordered an official Kia spare wheel, I was expecting a space saver but was surprised to receive a full size 16 inch rim (my own fault for not reading the details properly).

The Niro 4 has 18 inch rims, my question is when driving on a full size spare which has the same rolling radius but a smaller rim/higher profile tyre, should I treat it as a space saver and limit myself to 50mph or is it safe to drive at normal speeds?

·
Banned
5,226 Posts
Clue: Your car would fail it's MoT if that wheel was fitted at the time of testing.

I am really surprised that that is the official spare. Skinny spares have tyres which are made from a compound which does not age so quickly as ordinary road tyres. This means that they can sit in the boot for many years and still be safe to use. Are you sure you have the correct wheel? Some of the KIA range come with different size wheels depending upon the model Problem is you should not run on it except in an emergency, but if it is an ordinary tyre it will age even when not in use so you will the discarding a practically unused tyre at some point. Strongly suggest you go to your dealer and seek advice.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Clue: Your car would fail it's MoT if that wheel was fitted at the time of testing.

I am really surprised that that is the official spare. Skinny spares have tyres which are made from a compound which does not age so quickly as ordinary road tyres. This means that they can sit in the boot for many years and still be safe to use. Are you sure you have the correct wheel? Some of the KIA range come with different size wheels depending upon the model Problem is you should not run on it except in an emergency, but if it is an ordinary tyre it will age even when not in use so you will the discarding a practically unused tyre at some point. Strongly suggest you go to your dealer and seek advice.
There are elements in your reply that are not totally correct.

The provision of this type and size of wheel is quite common across numerous makes of car and is perfectly legal as the rolling circumference of the "spare" 16" wheel and tyre combination is within a very small percentage difference of the standard 18" wheel and tyre. For my Niro there appears to be 2 options available, either the 16" as mentioned here and a stupidly skinny one. The stupidly skinny tyres are still age related like normal tyres and should be inspected regularly.

HOWEVER the speed limitations still apply to both types and the wheels should be fitted with the legally required yellow sticker stating the maximum speed allowed is 50 mph(80kph), and the Law also states that they should only be used to a place where the original tyre can be replaced or repaired. You are correct that the car would fail an MOT if the car was presented.

·
Registered
57 Posts
This is a discussion that seems to roll on and on, on several forums. It’s just a shame that Kia who I’m sure monitor these forums can’t come out and give a definitive on the rights or wrongs of spare tyres for the Nero EV. I’ve read that the space saver tyre isn’t suitable for the much heavier Nero EV. But the full size spare is a tight fit in the boot. I along with many other Nero EV owners would like a spare wheel but would like Kia’s advise.

·
Banned
5,226 Posts
This is a discussion that seems to roll on and on, on several forums. It’s just a shame that Kia who I’m sure monitor these forums can’t come out and give a definitive on the rights or wrongs of spare tyres for the Nero EV. I’ve read that the space saver tyre isn’t suitable for the much heavier Nero EV. But the full size spare is a tight fit in the boot. I along with many other Nero EV owners would like a spare wheel but would like Kia’s advise.
If you want advice from KIA then ask KCS on here - they have their own section. You can't expect them to trawl every forum looking for issues

·
Registered
57 Posts
If you want advice from KIA then ask KCS on here - they have their own section. You can't expect them to trawl every forum looking for issues
I don’t, Turnup! expect them to trawl every forum, but this question of spare wheels on the Kona EV‘s has come up many time on several forums so Yes I would have expected Kia to have come up with some advice.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.