Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

Unfortunately had a flat tyre today, and it was replaced with the spare space saver tyre. We were about 50 miles from home so have driven home only - tyre being replaced tomorrow.

I understand that space savers only have a limited life and can't been driven for many miles. So now that its been used do we need to replace it? Or is it the case that it's OK to use again if it has plenty of tread left?

Many thanks!

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
Inspection will reveal if it is past it but only 50 miles is far less than it's expected life. Check tread for wear but I expect it is just fine.

·
Registered
156 Posts
According to the AA space saver tyres usually have a tread of 3mm when new.

General advice is use for around 50 miles (at max speed of 50mph), after 70 miles the tread is expected to be down to the legal limit, although of course there are always people who will claim they drove at 70mph for 200 miles, or for a month after :rolleyes:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi all

Unfortunately had a flat tyre today, and it was replaced with the spare space saver tyre. We were about 50 miles from home so have driven home only - tyre being replaced tomorrow.

I understand that space savers only have a limited life and can't been driven for many miles. So now that its been used do we need to replace it? Or is it the case that it's OK to use again if it has plenty of tread left?

Many thanks!
Hi . When I bought a car and it had a space saver wheel . I would find another proper wheel on ebay and put the space saver in the shed or something .

·
Registered
29 Posts
I still have my Ceeds space saver in a cupboard. One of the first things I did when I got the car was buy a full sized spare, you only loose a couple of inches of boot depth and the pram still fits in so to me it was a no brainer, it's just more convenient and practical in every respect to me.

I know some people loooovvveee space savers but for me, the £30 the full sized cost vs faffing was worth it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts