Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had to use the space saver spare today, was shocked to see it was 2" or 50mm smaller in diameter? put it on drove ok, phoned kia garage and was told its the correct one for my car?????? tho it was fine on the rear not sure if it would cause a problem on the front. Seems very strange that the spare should be smaller in diameter?????? understand the width not that important but on the front would it not drive at two different ratios??????? please let me know if your spare smaller than road tyres.regards
geoff

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
That's why you have a differential so that each wheel travels at their own speed. If they didn't your tyres would burn out plus it would put excessive strain on transmission. Think about it, when you turn a left corner the left wheel travels less distance than the right. Therefore the right wheel must revolve faster than the left and thats why you have a differential in the gearbox/final drive.
Lesson over for the day, off to the pub with you

·
Registered
543 Posts
Know mate of mines ka had smaller space one day when he decided to blow to tyres driving up a kerb lol should be fine like Davy said brilliant explanation îŽ :) will be fine if it's smaller along as you take it easy . Personally I have no spare wheel I've got a wheel in a can and they seem to do the trick :)

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Ok if you dont burst the side wall Dano. Hey if you burst yer blow up doll it could come in useful for that.

Edited by: davy

·
Registered
543 Posts
Lmao, bust side wall very true friend did his sidewalls in on his ka I put my tyre can in um and duck tape the split and the wheel in a can came out like a bubble bath lol so drove about 3 miles with a flatty to the local garage he he and alloy was amost oval when got there so he bought a knew set £400 later for his loss of concentration !!

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cheers bud, must be a northern thing being cleaver
so i will now sleep at night knowing ive been told by the expert, off to pub then for me!!!!regards
thick southerner geoff

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks , got the gist of it from davey, just did not look right when i put it on but did the job, so now enlightened with the magic of the diff panic over
regards
geoff

1 - 9 of 9 Posts