Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm due to receive my 3DR Rio3 in the next 7 days
.

Something I haven't heard discussed much is the sound system. In a hashed review by some goof on Youtube reviewing the Picanto, he decribes the sound as tinny. I know the Rio has a different system but how do you guys rate it? Music is a big part of my communte so I'm keen to know.

cheers
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ooo! and another thing. I'm probably opting in for the Kia mats @ £43.99. Can anyone vouch for their quality?

Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
525 Posts
I have also opted for a "3" spec car which is coming tomorrow morning as it goes.


I havent heard the sound system in a "3" but its got 6 speakers vs the "2" models 4 speaker set up. I am going to assume that the "2"'s 4 speaker system is 4 2way speakers, and the "3"'s 6 speaker system is a pair of 2ways in the back and then a mid and a tweet per front door.



I cant find any proof of this on the kia web site, but if you look on the arkamys news page, there is an illustration of the set up for with 6 speakers that i describe above.



The sound quality in the "2" was OK, not the best but far from the worst, i cranked it up when the salesman wandered off and it didnt distort much and sounded OK for a standard manufacturer set up, so one can only assume that the "3" will sound a bitbetter.



The one in the Picanto is a pit tinny, certainly not as good as the set up in the Rio "2".



Music is also improtant to me also, so might end up swapping the standard speakers out for JBL's if they are no good and or pop. My current Car is an Audi a4 with the full Bose system so 9 speakers (4 tweets, 4 mids and a sub) which is awesome, i know its not going to be anywhere near as good sound wise, but all the media features will mean no more CD'sin the car at least!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cheers for the link.

I have had good custom systems in the past and most recently the 6 speaker system in the Golf GTi. That was pretty good at most levels.

Arkamys seem to have a fairly good rep so I'm mildly optermistic about it being at least as nice as the Golf.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cheers for the coments. I tend not to try and smash the windows with my volume so hoping its not too bad at a reasonable level haha. If it weren't for the warranty i'd probably sort a system change but the bluetooth streaming and hard drive sound fun to play with for the time being. Can't wait.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
525 Posts
Few days in and i am very happy with the 6 speaker set up in my "3". Decent Bass, surprisingly good clarity,Nothalf bad at all.

Ihaven'tworked out how to get the hard drive to store music in folders....although to be honest, given that its less than 1GB and i have nearly 200GB of music its next to pointless to me.

I have bought one of these thought:-

http://www.sandisk.co.uk/products/usb-flash-drives/cruzer-fit-usb-flash-drive


16GB and barely sticks out at all, paid £12 on E-bay.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Nice work Boz. I've got all of my favs on my iPhone so I'll prob use that via the bluetooth or cable? Failing that, I work in the ICT sector so getting hold of a beasty flash drive can also be an option! :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
525 Posts
Let me know if your iPhone can be controlled by the car, on my HTC desire all I can do is pause the current song, so I have to pick tracks off the phone itself.

Same on the wifes HTC wildfire s.....I really don't want to have to apple, but its between a 5 and a HTC ONE x come upgrade in September and that could be a decider, Il have this car for longer than my next phone!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wise words. Im pretty sure the iPhone has full cOntrol but I'll check for certain when the car arrives.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Boz, you wanted to know if the iPhone can be fully controlled by the car i think?
Well yes and no. Yes if you use the original sync cable that comes with your iPhone and connect it to the USB port. This gives full control of songs and also the ability to locate specific songs/artists etc using the audio system controls. However, Bluetooth audio streaming onlt allows for stop and play functions of the iPhone as with the HTC's. So for me its a no-brainer about using the sync lead. Now all I have to do is make it look tidy!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
525 Posts
Cheers OO,

I have bought a 16GB flash drive that is tine so not so fussedany more. Certainly would be ar$ed with all the cables from the sync cable! Sometimes I think thepeopledesigning these things clearly dont have a clue!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
My verdict is a very positive one. I think the system is very intuitive and the output from the speakers once they have been tailored to your favour are on the better side of good :)

The bluetooth audio streaming is limited in functionality which is a little disappointing but the full control over iPhone/iPod and USB drives more than make up for this.

The bass is rich and undistorted at a strong volume and the Superbass/SuperTreble/SurroundSound are all useful.

Only negatives for me (Which are nit-picking in honesty) is the minimal bluetooth music streaming and the time it takes to scroll a lengthly list of songs or phone contacts with the knob.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
525 Posts
OO Agent said:
My verdict is a very positive one. I think the system is very intuitive and the output from the speakers once they have been tailored to your favour are on the better side of good :)

The bluetooth audio streaming is limited in functionality which is a little disappointing but the full control over iPhone/iPod and USB drives more than make up for this.

The bass is rich and undistorted at a strong volume and the Superbass/SuperTreble/SurroundSound are all useful.

Only negatives for me (Which are nit-picking in honesty) is the minimal bluetooth music streaming and the time it takes to scroll a lengthly list of songs or phone contacts with the knob.

Agree with all the above
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
80 Posts
big_boz said:
I havent heard the sound system in a "3" but its got 6 speakers vs the "2" models 4 speaker set up. I am going to assume that the "2"'s 4 speaker system is 4 2way speakers, and the "3"'s 6 speaker system is a pair of 2ways in the back and then a mid and a tweet per front door.







According to the KIA korean spare-parts database, it's the same 6" front ard rear door full-ranges, no matter the A-bar tweeters.

It's amazing that they make a separate version without the 1£ tweeters.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
525 Posts
Svendbent said:
big_boz said:
I havent heard the sound system in a "3" but its got 6 speakers vs the "2" models 4 speaker set up. I am going to assume that the "2"'s 4 speaker system is 4 2way speakers, and the "3"'s 6 speaker system is a pair of 2ways in the back and then a mid and a tweet per front door.







According to the KIA korean spare-parts database, it's the same 6" front ard rear door full-ranges, no matter the A-bar tweeters.

It's amazing that they make a separate version without the 1£ tweeters.

Weirdisn'tit.

Does the 2's have surround sound?
 
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Top