Kia Owners Club Forum banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
607 Posts
Wow, this is some dedicated project you have going - well done! Send your results to Kia so they can add this to the factory cars from next MY. OK, I know they won't but I wish they would. What I find with inexpensive cars is that it wouldn't take much to make them a lot nicer but I guess when you can save $1, you do (the car maker I mean). NVH is perhaps one of the biggest things that makes a car feel either really pleasurable to drive or a right royal stressful pain (unless you are in the right mode, like a race track).
100% agree on the NVH stuff. It's where manufacturers of city cars go wrong. IMO don't fit stuff like automatic headlights (which you really don't need) or even alloy wheels & instead spend the money on sound deadening as that's what makes the most difference when you actually use a car regularly.

·
Registered
Fusion white 2014 Proceed GT Tech
762 Posts
100% agree on the NVH stuff. It's where manufacturers of city cars go wrong. IMO don't fit stuff like automatic headlights (which you really don't need) or even alloy wheels & instead spend the money on sound deadening as that's what makes the most difference when you actually use a car regularly.
I agree, but unfortunately, sound deadening doesn't sell. Cars are now advertised pretty much as an extension of your smartphone. And how many people appear (judging by this and other forums) to buy a car without so much as a test drive when they might assess such things as road noise?

·
Registered
194 Posts
Well I did the insulation in the rear tray thingy (above the spare wheel) that was described earlier in this thread. I used the exact insulation the OP used. I was quite surprised that yes, it did make a modest but noticeable difference even though I have the quieter "S" model with the 4 cylinder engine and higher sidewall tyres. It made the car feel just that little bit more "sedan" like. To be honest I don't really think, however, that adding any more sound proofing than I already have would make much difference. The car is now quiet enough as it is and that is the case even on course chip bitumen thanks to the smaller wheels and higher profile Bridgestone Serenity Plus tyres. Put it this way, I haven't really been in any other car that is really much quieter (though I have not driven anything more expensive than a Toyota Aurion for a very long time).

I just now think this little car is simply a victim of earth-bound physics - a 2.4 metre wheelbase, relatively small diameter tyres and only 1,000 kg weight. There isn't much you can do about that.....but it makes me more and more interested in the Hyundai 130 sedan or the upcoming Cerato sedan....but at around $10K more on the road, I think the Picanto is still a bargain.

I am still int hemarket for a second car (but am waiting till the chip shortage sorts itself out and the pandemic is done and dusted) so for me it is still just a second Picanto or go up a class or two (but probably still keep the Picanto regardless as it is so good for what it is and is worth way more to me than its monetary value).

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Hi Cold Sausage.
Glad you found a decent difference in noise levels with boot tray.
As you say, further sound proofing will not make that much a difference. The wheel arch deadening I did. was a less noticeable improvement.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Hi Cold Sausage.
Glad you found a decent difference in noise levels with boot tray.
As you say, further sound proofing will not make that much a difference. The wheel arch deadening I did. was a less noticeable improvement.
I did think about the bonnet as well but when I seriously looked at it I just can't see it making any real difference. Probably why Kia didn't even bother fitting one. It's not like all the larger Kias where the bonnets are heavy and large.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Stage 4 of soundproofing -
Lined the boot for with Butyl sound deadening material ( same as Dynamat)- As with wheel arches the improvement is again small, but it is an easier task to do boot floor only took about 1 hour.
Automotive tire Sleeve Font Automotive design Art

100 KPH - Vent fan on No1 + A/C on - Bonnet and boot mat acoustic with foam attached
All wheel arch liners- Dmat + foam on door edge+ Dmat type deadener on complete boot floor
On smooth road surface69.9-70.7db(A)73stock car
On moderate rough surface74-77db(A)77stock car
On very rough surface79-82?db(A)84stock car
in Suburbia (~70 kph)67-68db(A)?not measured

A decent improvement on smoother roads, but some I had some high reading with wider spreads on moderate to rough roads.
This may be due to roads being moist after recent rain and rough surfaces may have water still in the gaps.
What was clear,was that on visibly dry smooth surfaces, the road noise was down another 1 db(A) @ 100 KPH from previous soundproofing stages done, and in same improvement suburbia at 70 KPH.
I have listed the initial readings from stock car so overall difference is clearer. Suspect on dryer surfaces the overall improvement is going to be about 3db(A) overall.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts