Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2015 soul diesel. Clueless female driver. Tried to start yesterday, it gave a splutter and then nothing. This morning tried again and nothing but clicking. It's been sitting for 3 days and its frosty outside. Would it be the battery ?? If so would it be best to try and charge or just get a new one ??

·
Registered
34 Posts
If its clicking then it sounds like you have a flat battery. Batteries do not like the cold so will be less efficient, however a good batery in good charge will still be fine. So either you have a battery that is past its prime and needs replacing, or, the battery has not been given enough charge between usage.
If you have done lots of short trips, you may be taking more out of the battery than you have put back as it will take a while for the vehicle alternator to replace the charge taken from the battery to start the engine. (Sorry I have no idea how long I only know the theory lol) and starting a very cold engine will take more Ooomph out of the battery than starting a new one.
What to do?
You basically have 4 choices
Call the AA if you belong to a breakdown
Ask a neighbour to jump start your car if you or themm have jump leads
Buy a battery Charger and put it on your car and leave for several hours
Replace the battery.

Note, if you buy jump leads, make sure you buy heavy duty ones, do not be fooled by cheap thing ones, these are for lower amp pertrol cars and will not be adequate for a diesel that needs lots of amps to get going.
Steve

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for that Steve. I will give the garage a call on Monday and get a new battery fitted. With the covid and being on holiday I haven't gone far, so I could understand it's not getting charged. It's still in warranty so will I need a Kia battery ?
Diane

·
Registered
66 plate Sportage KX4
214 Posts
Thanks for that Steve. I will give the garage a call on Monday and get a new battery fitted. With the covid and being on holiday I haven't gone far, so I could understand it's not getting charged. It's still in warranty so will I need a Kia battery ?
Diane
i think the battery comes with a 3yr warranty, as long as you buy the same spec you should be fine (but check with Kia first).
if you know someone with a charger I’d try that first as it may sort out the issue (just remember to use/run car a bit more often).
failing that a battery change is the next option, although I’d ask the garage to check the alternator is charging correctly first.

·
Registered
Fusion white 2014 Proceed GT Tech
973 Posts
If recharging (and more frequent runs) doesn't work, I'd suggest you buy your battery through KIA; my experience was it was (surprisingly) cheaper than any other non-OEM ones I found online and it's nice not to give any wriggle room on warranty (especially if they fit it!). As usual, there will probably be a delay as they are unlikely to have it on the shelf of your local dealer.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Is it easy for you to get a push start? If so put it into 3rd gear, foot on the clutch to the floor so that they can push you. When you get to a decent speed let the clutch out. If it starts go for a 10 mile run. No point in wasting money on a battery if it's flat through lack of use otherwise the same could happen with the new battery.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Is it easy for you to get a push start? If so put it into 3rd gear, foot on the clutch to the floor so that they can push you. When you get to a decent speed let the clutch out. If it starts go for a 10 mile run. No point in wasting money on a battery if it's flat through lack of use otherwise the same could happen with the new battery.
Unfortunatly very hard to push start a diesel as it needs hot glow plugs to start the combustiuon unlike a pertol that only needs a spark. If the gow plugs are not hot it will be extremely difficult

·
Registered
528 Posts
A lot of modern cars ecu's require at least 11.5v to switch systems on so if the battery voltage is below that you could push it all day and it would'nt start. i know a mates transit would only push start if you turned the key to the start position when you let the clutch up otherwise the ecu didnt know to inject the fuel.

·
Registered
Kia Soul Mixx CRDi
93 Posts
Hope you got it fixed. My 2015 diesel battery started feeling sluggish for a couple of days then died overnight. Picked up a new one from a motor factors and changed it over, and been perfect ever since.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.