Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<table ="tableBorder" align="center" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="3" style="text-align: left; border-top-width: 1px; border-right-width: 1px; border-bottom-width: 1px; border-left-width: 1px; border-top-style: solid; border-right-style: solid; border-bottom-style: solid; border-left-style: solid; border-top-color: rgb204, 204, 204; border-right-color: rgb204, 204, 204; border-bottom-color: rgb204, 204, 204; border-left-color: rgb204, 204, 204; : rgb255, 255, 255; width: 958px; table-layout: fixed; "><t><tr ="msgOddTableRow" style="font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; color: rgb0, 0, 0; font-weight: normal; font-size: 12px; line-height: 1.4; : rgb251, 251, 253; height: 200px; min-height: 200px; "><td valign="top" ="msgLineDevider" style="border-top-style: solid; border-right-style: solid; border-bottom-style: solid; border-left-style: solid; border-top-color: rgb225, 227, 236; border-right-color: rgb225, 227, 236; border-bottom-color: rgb225, 227, 236; border-left-color: rgb225, 227, 236; border-right-width: 0px; border-bottom-width: 0px; border-left-width: 0px; border-top-width: 1px; "><div ="msg" style="font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; color: rgb0, 0, 0; font-weight: normal; font-size: 12px; line-height: 1.4; width: 809px; margin-top: 2px; margin-right: 2px; margin-bottom: 2px; margin-left: 2px; overflow-x: auto; overflow-y: auto; ">Hello all!!

Really delighted to see a great website for Kia owners, a huge well done for all involved.I must admit I'm not quite a Kia owner - but almost!!

I would really, really, really like the Soul Tempest, Diesel Auto - but reading the latest info from AA's website regarding;
<h1 style="font-family: Arial, Helvetica; color: rgb0, 0, 0; font-weight: bold; font-size: 1.8em; margin-bottom: 5px; margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-left: -2px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; letter-spacing: -0.04em; line-height: 0.9em; ">Diesel Particulate Filters (DPF)</h1>Reducing diesel soot emissions by 80%I would like to know if the Souls filters are 'Passive or active regeneration' and if my short weekly journeys and weekend motorway journeys would be enough to keep the filters from blocking!!

Has anybody had any DPF problems??

Thank you

</td></tr></t></table>

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Hi Soul Girl. had no problems with DPF which I believe are regeneration type.all I do is make sure on a regular basis I run in excess of 2500rpm for arounf 20-30 mins and this clears it out.Your will love the Kia Soul when you get it,had ours since March 2010 and now have 24k on it with no problems,rattles or anything else.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you Dave R - it's much appreciated!Can I also just ask how regularly you run at high revs? Are we talking every week or longer?

Thank you

·
Registered
283 Posts
You will virtually eliminate any problems with the DPF by using high grade diesel.

You can purge the filter by making the engine work hard once a month or whenever the chance comes along inbetween time.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Soul Tempest - I'm not in any way an expert but this was on the AA website:

The exhaust emissions standards for new cars have effectively required fitment of a DPF in the exhaust of diesel cars since 2009 when the 'Euro 5' standard came into force. In fact, many cars registered before 2009 will have had one fitted too in anticipation of the change in standards.so I'm guessing Manuals have it too.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
the new standards were introduced in 2011 or so i was told. In 2009 i was informed that only the Autos have the DPF cos the auto has poorer emissions round town and the dpf imroves it to the level of the manual.

Anybody from Kia actually confirm this?... i am confused now on whether i have a dpf....mines an early 2009 manual Tempest

·
Registered
283 Posts
The current range definitely only have a DPF on the auto's despite a sticker on the drivers door.

That may change on the 2012 model as they have got the emmissions down on it.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
I have just booked my manual Tempest in for the 25K service and according to the garage my Soul has a DPF filter which is self cleaning withan injection of diesel should it need to self clean to burn off all particles that are in the filter.I am not agueing with them as they deal with Kia all the time and should know what they are talking about.

·
Registered
283 Posts
They should know what they are talking about............
..........ask them to show it to you.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
I look forward to clarifying this....... and maybe Dave could post a pic of the bit they point out. I think i read on here that the DPF if fitted is under the bonnet.... but i always thought it was something in the exhaust system near the tailpipe. Anybody got access to the Kia Tech pages?.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
To say that they know what they are talking about may be stretching a point but I will ask them to show me where it is .

1 - 13 of 13 Posts