Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone managed to improve the teeth-rattling ride of the Soul? Without risking the fantastic Warranty, of course! I like my Soul2 Diesel Auto for various reasons, but the suspension gives me the worst ride I have experienced in a couple of million miles of motoring in vehicles from vintage to commercial! Kia don't want me to change the 16" alloys for 15" steels with larger section tyres - which might make a small improvement - but are there different dampers out there?

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Nope your stuck with it....think yourself lucky you didnt get the 18 inch wheel version....lol....the car you have has the best ride of the Soul range.

The best you can effect is to swap the wheels for some very very lightweight ones that are the same size, with the best quality tyre you can afford in a sensible higher profile size.

Koni used to do some adjustable dampers with stiffness settings...dunno if they fit the Soul Tho.

A final option would be to fit dampers that Kia themselves used to fit on the first Souls in this country - before Lotus fiddled with the suspension and firmed it up. The original Soul had a softer ride and slightly sloppier body control.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info. Tempest. Whatever happened to Comfort? Suspension designers seem to have forgotten all the last 100 years of effort to insulate the vehicle occupants from the rough roads - and they have got rougher. So Lotus's "improvements" to the Soul were to "firm up the ride" I'm obviously way out of line, but I would like a smooth ride to the Supermarket and while touring, and would willingly do without "handling" engineered to give me the fastest time round Silverstone! I have been driving for over fifty years, and know that I had a smoother ride in my BL Maxi, even though the rest of the car was inferior to a Soul in every way. Ah well, as you say, I will have to put up with it until my back gives in!

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
sonofpincher said:
Thanks for the info. Tempest. Whatever happened to Comfort? Suspension designers seem to have forgotten all the last 100 years of effort to insulate the vehicle occupants from the rough roads - and they have got rougher. So Lotus's "improvements" to the Soul were to "firm up the ride" I'm obviously way out of line, but I would like a smooth ride to the Supermarket and while touring, and would willingly do without "handling" engineered to give me the fastest time round Silverstone! I have been driving for over fifty years, and know that I had a smoother ride in my BL Maxi, even though the rest of the car was inferior to a Soul in every way. Ah well, as you say, I will have to put up with it until my back gives in!
I totally agree with you and have knocked the ride quality on my Soul on several occassions. Unfortunately people read too much into the Car magazine road testers who spend all their days ragging cars round a smooth racing circuit in the name of employment! (yes a hint of jealousy there!)... and then report back on the finite elements of handling and judge the car accordingly (not that handling or cornering prowess ever enters the equation when going to the supermarket...or work....or school...or pretty much anything in the real world). But these peoples opinions are valued and the car is adjusted to cater for them, so they can offer a favourable impression to the buying public. The sooner cars have a "comfort" button instead of a "sport" button - the better.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
The old Maxi had a very good ride,had a few myself and also had the 1800 which was even a better ride ,we had company cars from BL and used to take bets to see if it would get from the London office to home when collecting a new car without breaking down. I don't think the ride is to bad on the 18" wheels though it does depend on which tyres are fitted to the Soul, I had a very hard ridingtwo seater before so the Soul was not as hard as that car.For the height of theSoul the handling is good and it looks good on the larger wheels.Most of the road tests I have read have mentioned the hard ride butquite a lot a modern cars tend to have lower profile tyres now which tends to stiffen the ride. I have also driven millions of miles in all sorts of cars but only for 46years and when you think of the rubbish that we put up with in the past modern cars areincredible.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
1800 landcrab..... what a car.... always loved the wolsley version with its leather interior...1885 was it called....transverse 6 cylinder engine too!!!....lol...nothing but trouble.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Me old man had a Triumph 2.5, that used to feel like you were on a ship all the wallowing about but it was lovely and comfortable to drive, now the 2000 handled like a dream and went where you pointed it, loved that car but I were a young un then.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
The two maxis I had were 1750 with the twin carbs which took some setting up,we used to change the company cars at 40k and I drove60-70k a year so many new cars passed through my hands.1800's ,a couple of dolly sprints, Rover 2000sbut never had a Truimph 2.5. Most were a load of rubbish regarding quality but when we moved from BL to leasing we had a far wider range of cars to choose from. I have had beemers,VW,Fords etcto hyundia and I have found that in general the Kia soul is as good for quality as any I have had,there are some issues such as some soft plastics used but taking it as a whole they are very good.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Agree with you completely after having a Citroen Picasso before with the armchair
front seats and floating suspension this was a real "wake up call" but I am going
to stick with it and when the existing Hancook tyres wear out get some Michelin or
better quality tyres. The only thing that stops me buying a better spec soul is
the size of the wheels there is less rubber between the wheel and the road = rough
ride so if I change it will be a Soul 2 again.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Very interesting on the NCAP and Thatchem "elk" tests sites showing how the Soul performs which is very good indeed on all fronts. The Soul is quite short on the length of the wheelbase which will mean that the ride will be aharder ride because of the height of the car requiring it to be stiffer on the suspension. My wife had a C3 and it was like riding a motorbike on the corners with the leaning however the ride was very soft and comfortable but unless you have asuspension that will change as you are driving or that will automaticly drop to reduce the height ride then the ride on the Soul is something that has to be accepted as the norm.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
I have always been quite happy with my Hankooks in fact I have just replaced the front ones after 25k+ though they did still have a couple of mm left on them.Drove a new Echo with Nexens on and they were a harder noisier ride without doubt. I think that you will struggle to improve a significiant amount over the Hankooks but you may improve aspects such as wet or dry handling but as an overall tyre the Hankooks are OK.I think that if you buy a Soul especially the 18" wheel version then you should be aware that you are buying in to a life style as well as a very good car but it comes with certaindesign features such as unusual shape,hard ride because of the tallhigher centre of gravity. It is a short wheelbase so can be choppy but as an overall package providing you accept the compremise then its a car that is fun to drive very reasonably well made and a car you get to really like in fact you can get quite attached to it.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Hi Taffy you must spin the wheels up to 40mph to wear the tyres out at that sort of mileage ! You will have to stop going round corners on two wheels.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Hahahaha..........I think it was the state of the roads around here after all the snow last year.....never wore tyres out that quick before but glad I did as the Bridgestones are brill.......Dave, It takes some doing to spin the wheels in an Auto I can tell you LOL

·
Registered
270 Posts
hI Taff - can you explain the different with the Bridgestones - are they quieter ? is
the ride softer ?

1 - 20 of 44 Posts