Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is the Soul worth the same as say a Ford or Vauxhall or Citroen etc of similar cost after say 3 years
ie the money you will get if you p/x for another car ? has anyone had any experience of trading
in their old Kia ?

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
i have no idea to be honest. Kia are controlling supply and demand to keep the residuals strong - but whether it works i dont yet know.... i would hope so.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Both Kia and Hyundia seem to be holding their value now they have got a better reputation and with the new Kia's that are being introduced things should only get better.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
No matter what car you drive, the dealers will look down their noses at it to offer you as little as they can get away with.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
It comes back to whether the general public will pay the price for a second hand car with a Kia badge on it, if they are sat in the sales pitch and not sold then the price will drop and residuals will follow. Just look at Skoda for example when they had a bad reputation and look at them now,Kia are doing the same thing. The quality of Kia now has improved to such an extent that the new cars coming along can compete with the best and this will create a halo effect,I just hope that they build the GT design that they have been showing off which will really up the stakes.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I also look at it that if i go buy any other car second hand i have a 3month warranty, but if i go buy a well looked after Kia, i still have 4 YEARS warranty. This is why it is so utterly important to make sure you have a full service warranty
If your in the market to buy a second hand car and have2 identical Kia Soul, one with 3months the other with 4 yrs...which you going to buy??? If you dont keep up your waranty, your going to loose thousands. The gap between FDSH, FSH and NO service history will be huge in resale/part exchangevalue.

I dare say that if i went into a 2nd hand car dealers and there was a Kia with 3months warranty, as per all the others, i'ld probably be tempted with somthing from another manufacture....
Edited by: RichieD76

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Yes the warranty is transferable, have a look at the new Optima and see what Kia are doing with their new cars. It looks fantastic in the tin, the pictures do not do it justice and if this the way its going. the new Ce-ed wow, then with all these improvements we should gain the halo effect on our Souls.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Traditionally Kia's don't have very strong residuals in the UK. However, given that the more recent models have come on leaps and bounds over Kia's of old they are growing in popularity and are a serious consideration when looking at a new car.

I for one am a convert, who is willing to give Kia a try. The 7 year warranty is a major draw for me as I plan to keep the car for at least 4 - 6 years.... if it lasts (and it should do!!)

I am also willing to gamble that Kia's residuals will start to improve as they become more accepted as a serious brand. Couple that with the transferable 7 year warranty and they have a distinct advantage over many other used cars - this will surely bolster residuals.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
just checked Parkers and my Soul 2 on a 11 plate that is not even a year old yet is worth £9250 p/x value as it cost over £14k new I think £4750 is lot of depreciation ouch !

·
Registered
536 Posts
not really, not when you think £2800 of the original selling price was VAT. Minus the value of warranty,MOT time, years tax andwear on parts/tires/brakes ect thats not to bad. Just think thats P/X value though. there's a long waiting list for alot of kia models. If someones got a 3 or 4 month waiting time, they maybe tempted by a next to new car at a tidy discount over new. would be worth alot more to a private seller

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Just look at a Citroen,Fiat !! and one or two others such as Alfa's for a drop after 12 months . Kia as a brand is holding very well and its just building up its reputation so unless something goes wrong it will only get better, speak to a friend of mine who bought a V6 Alfa if you want to see a drop in value.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Fiat -
Back in 2000 I paid nearly £26K for a 20V turbo Plus.

18 months and 28,000 miles later I 'managed' to get £13K for it

Never mind I am now doing high 50's (mpg) in my new Rio 1.1 Air.

Bruce

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for your detailed answers very reassuring -on the guarantee side I see that vauxhalls now
give 100k miles guarantee as long as you buy new, but its not transferrable. You could take 10 years or longer to cover that sort of mileage.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just been quoted £7600 p/x on my 2012 crdi hunter with 10 k on it which I paid nearly £16000 18 months Ago
Is this a record depreciation for the soul ? This is the price in glasses guide according to the garage.
Had I chosen a ford focus I would have been 1k up on the deal.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts