Kia Owners Club Forum banner

Soul in Snow.

1K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  Dave R 
#1 ·
Last year i got my Soul Tempest 2 days before the wintery spell...... it was unstoppable in the snow. I live in a little remote village populated by landrovers, BMW and Mercs. I was one of the few who never got stuck - and i was often out before the snow ploughs and gritters.

This year on half worn tyres - it was a very different story. Totally lost it on a straight but cambered road at 15mph..... luckily the grass verge steered me back onto the road. The tyres seemed to fill with snow and then off we went....very slowly and very scary.

So all you new tempest owners......dont take this years snow ability for granted. People always told me wide tyres are poor in the snow - and i always argued my car was different. Obviously that years worth of wear makes a big difference to their grip.

#3 ·
Ihave never liked driving in the snow, i've had a few very near misses on very icey roads in my old car and i'm sure new one will be ok but i'm not taking any chances. So i'm on foot and public transport if we get dumped on tonight.

I'm not chancing getting my new baby smashed up for the sake of having to walk.

glad your ok tempest, the problem i find is not your own driving ability its other stupid people that think they're experts at driving.

#5 ·
Very true Lisa I wouldn't take the risk especially with the babby it's true people drive like madman in the weather condition me included and think I might go bit tamer because it gives KIA a bad name ;) I'm sorry to hear that you had some near misses :( theres nothing you can do really to stop car when in spin if it does imo most people should take buses or go by foot if not brave enough . Keeps other road users safe !

#9 ·
I got my Automatic Tempest in March and was deading the snow, because my last automatic a Ford CMAX was a nightmare on snow and ice. But my Tempest was a dream just put it into Low and took my foot of the brake, slowly but surely I passed everyone up a very steep and slippy hill. I will take not Tempest of what you say about the tyres.

#10 ·
I always say to people "you havn't lived until you have an 18 wheeler going sideways in the snow
" (I have been there and lived to tell the tale) but on a serious note, be careful, remember the rule, 8 second gap minimum between you and the one in front, I know that seems miles away but as a professional driver, I know that is how long it takes to stop/slide. Keep speed down and me, I always have the sidelights on for extra visibility.

#11 ·
marmite said:
I got my Automatic Tempest in March and was deading the snow, because my last automatic a Ford CMAX was a nightmare on snow and ice. But my Tempest was a dream just put it into Low and took my foot of the brake, slowly but surely I passed everyone up a very steep and slippy hill. I will take not Tempest of what you say about the tyres.
Did you read my post???. My Tempest was unstoppable ie brilliant in the snow with brand new tyres.....now they are half worn its nowhere near as good. Wide tyres need good tread depth to work in snow.... mine no longer has that.....but it will still run rings round the neighbours BMW.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.