Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,I am new to this forum.
I am thinking of buying a Soul diesel as I think it looks great and need something larger than my present vehicle and require better mpg.
I currently own a Citroen C21.6 VTS and obviously it handles extremely well and is flat through the twisty stuff,but getting on in years want something a bit more sedate.I still like the occasional drive through the twisty bits so require something that handles decently,but not necessarily like the C2 and would not expect it from what is a relatively tall vehicle like the Soul.
I have read loads of "expert" and owner reviews on various websites and like most reviews the handling opinion varies alot e.g. leaning in corners,some say it handles well others not.
I know you will say go test drive one(which of course I will),but personally I feel you need time to evaluate the handling of a car over a period of time,something a 30 minute test drive will not show,so any opinions are most welcome.
I do not expect it to obviously handle like my C2 butallIam concerned that it does not lurch or lean too much on the bends, not having owned this type of relatively tall vehicle before.The hard ride that is widely mentioned does not concern me too much as the C2 is a bit of a bone shaker over poor surfaces.
I would also appreciate any general thoughts on the Soul and looking at second hand prices they seem to have a bit of a premium like the Mini.
Thanks for any help in advance
Steven

·
Registered
34 Posts
As of yet I have no probs with my Soul long drives mpg is great,I live around some of the best twisty turny roads and I think it handles well a lil bit of roll but for a high car it's not to bad,steering is tight and I lick the gear change and fo a diesel it's got some poke.
I'm more than willing to let you have a blast in mine if you like,

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tank,Thanks for the offer,but I live a bit of a distance away.Prob try to get a local dealer let me have a long test drive.Sounds like the handling is ok and like most diesels once they are on the move have better pulling power than a petrol of similar engine size.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Lol cool bud,
Like I said I find the handling is up to the job on our tight twisty roads.
I'm prety sure dealers these days allow for a good testdrive to gain a sale

·
Registered
161 Posts
fine on twisty lanes,dont like pot holes,but deals with them fine.i like the low down grunt and using the gears,and in all find it a good positive experience.some say the gear box agricultural,but find mine quite slik,and likes to be used.mpg for me which takes alot of stopstart in town works around the low low 40's..though you will find that bettered.i like to drive a car,like the thrill of acceleration,and push through the lanes when i can.for all that it tix my boxes. crdi2 manual

·
Registered
309 Posts
Ive had several freelanders & got used to the ride & height . the Soul you have to drive it,which i like . Whether on my own or with the vehicle full , Its goes well & responsive . No issues with overtaking & the ride is good . The Hankook tyres are a bit noisey , but the stereo hides it & there are alternative tyres out there to resolve this .
The MPG is great Im saving about £150a month on fuel compaired to my last vehicle .

Ive had mine over three months now & still look forward to driving it . Ive done long & short journeys & it always performs well .

·
Registered
79 Posts
The Soul (2) handles great. No problems although the larger wheeled versions have attracted some comments.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
The larger wheeled ones just lose a bit of composure on the twisty bump roads...... purely down to wheel weight and wider tyres tramlining. The smaller wheeled Souls are perfectly fine.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
THe 18" wheels are just a little bit harder on the suspension but I think they handle better, look on the NCAP testing site and you will find video of the testing on crashing and a link to testingof the handling with the ESP both on and off with video.I think the gear change is a bit clunky but I am comparing with my other car which is a very short sharp throw on the gears.All in all the soul is a good car.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts