Kia Owners Club Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
The start and stop music. Can it really not be turned off?

Hi Jon. Pleased you've now got your car. 'Fraid you're stuck with the start-up 'bonging' - if it's any consolation I've had my car for about 9 months now and, in my case anyway, I've pretty much ceased to notice it.

Before we were all locked-down (again!) I did take quite a few long journeys - and found the car to be good at long distances. This was a combination of being quiet, like all EVs, and the integration of all the safety tech - which puts me in a relaxed, but still attentive, frame of mind. The only issue (much discussed elsewhere) is the current UK charging infrastructure - but as long as you plan ahead that isn't too bad either. You will need to register with ChargePlace Scotland when the time comes for your holiday - but I expect you already knew that.

After a few months I've 'gone-off' some cars I've owned in the past - but that hasn't happened with the Soul, and I suspect you will be equally happy. All the best.

·
Registered
23 Posts
The start and stop music. Can it really not be turned off?
On some Kia models (perhaps country-dependant) it can be turned off in User Settings | Sound | Welcome Sound [X]
Someone in Kia thinks that hearing it is important - The only antidote to that is if we keep banging on at Kia that we really don't like it!
Perhaps add to the argument with some rational reason like "if I arrive or depart late at night I don't want my neighbours being serenaded by this children's TV jingle. I've got a quiet EV - why spoil it?"
Perhaps insinuating that it seems cheap and tacky vs. premium brands (to our ears) might add some weight on our side vs. some Korean branding gestapo staffer!

·
Registered
2 Posts
You can change this in Settings menu on the dashboard so the cable is locked until the car is unlocked
Hi Richard. I've had my 2020 Soul for just over 6 months now and done about 5.5K - obviously would have been more if not for Lockdown. Of those miles about 2.5K have been on journeys of 400+ miles. My observation is that I am not suffering at all from "Range Anxiety" but when the opportunity for one of these longer journeys does present itself I do suffer from "Range Regret"!

Let me explain: over the last couple of decades I have owned several ice cars - from an old AMG that never did more than about 240 miles 'on a tank', to a diesel that did 700+ (with others that did about 350 and 400 miles respectively). Of these, the AMG's range was always an irritation - even though filling-up was a matter of minutes. All the other cars, even the one that did about 350 miles on a tank of fuel, never had the same effect.

Well, love the Soul as I do (just as much as the AMG interestingly - albeit for different reasons), I have 'flash-backs' to just the same sort of range irritation when I travel on these longer journeys.

My point is that I think each one of us has a sort of inbuilt minimum range requirement to be entirely happy with a specific car. I don't think you come to this via some sort of 'mathematical formula', rather it's something that makes itself apparent over time based on mileage and habits. It isn't to do with loo breaks or having something to eat, for me at least, it's more a feeling in the back of my mind that "the car should be more self-sufficient than this".

The Soul is excellent in so many ways, but for me it does fall down on this test - as would nearly every other EV on the market at the moment. Of course, things will improve - and I don't regret the overall ownership experience with Kia and the Soul. It's just a niggle - and will continue to be so until the next generation of EVs.

In the meantime all I can do is plan long journeys in advance, use Zap Map, have back-up chargers in the plan if there happens to be a problem 'on the day' (and NEVER use Ecotricity - if only for the sake of my mental health!).
Hi - it's been a while and approaching 4k, so dipped back into the forum. Yep, I get the points, I think we are all at the mercy of the charging networks on longer haul. As for the capacity... it's not exactly tropical this May but, STILL not charging up to the 280 mile range as it did during September, sticking frustratingly at 220 miles on 100% charge. I confess I bottled out and hired a car for the next Liverpool trip, was upgraded to a Merc 300 panzer and hated it in comparison (OK the load space was useful) appreciating how much I'd learned to value the safety features as standard. The gentle nudge on the wheel when straying towards the white lines doesn't feel like I've a poltergeist on board now. Bottom line, charging from home, great. Charging externally - avoid ecotricity like the plague or a politician. I did have cause to try out Instavolt on a long-ish run. Brilliant. Pull the plug on Ecotricity and put these guys at every service station.
Love everything else about the car......apart from (like my ole Mazda) you can't shut up the voice guidance without turning off the speed camera warnings! So, good as the Kia nav is, I still plug in my TomTom!

·
Registered
23 Posts
I've seen some Soul EVs out on the street (yep - it takes some effort!). Some have a sort of blue inlay into the word Soul which embossed into the rear black pillar, on Neptune blue Souls anyway. I've also seen just plain black recessed letters. Does anyone know whether this is something from early or recent manufacturing runs? It doesn't appear to be an option on the optional extras. It looks nice though :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Hi RobinB, My Soul is a very early one registered 18/03/2020 and mine is just plain black recessed letters.

·
Registered
23 Posts
My Soul is a very early one registered 18/03/2020 and mine is just plain black recessed letters.
Fingers crossed that it's just they way they arrive from Korea nowadays then :)
I'm still wondering if it was perhaps a particular dealership trick, or something done by a particular leasing company.
At risk of sounding like someone from "Fall & Rise of Reginald Perrin"... "Thank you CJ"

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Your welcome Robin, If you like it in blue any sign writing type company should be able to print some on vinyl for you?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Your welcome Robin, If you like it in blue any sign writing type company should be able to print some on vinyl for you?
I've had an answer from Kia CS via email. Initially I was told that looked like an old model (from the look of the back), so I sent a wider shot including licence plate and a set of links Autotrader that showed adverts for brand new Souls from different areas of the UK. The answer came back that new builds of Soul should come with the blue letters. Time will tell!
If the CS analysis is correct then hopefully I get the blue look, but I guess it depends on how old the stock is which will be transported to my dealer :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
....The answer came back that new builds of Soul should come with the blue letters. Time will tell!
Time has passed. Collected our new Neptune blue Soul EV yesterday and it has arrived with blue lettering in the "SOUL" inscription on the rear pillars

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi everyone. Had mine for 3 weeks and done just over 1000 miles. I've changed from a Range Rover Evoque (and prior to that a Jaguar XF) but I can report that the Soul is well equipped, comfortable and a great car to drive in my opinion.

My longest journey (which will be very infrequent) was from Leeds to Portsmouth. I came off the M1 to 'fill up' at a Lidl. Being a Yorkshire man the 25p per kw appealed to me, plus a bit of shopping and a picnic soon passed the 30mins to get to 80% full. On the return I tried a motorway charger which was broken and had to go onto another. Let's hope they all become contactless soon and I hate the idea of loading my phone up with all the different supplier apps.

Negatives - I agree with others, forward sensors should be standard. Also, I miss not being able to open the windows remotely. No speed camera warning on the navigation unit! - ridiculous.

I was amazed to find the self steering feature (Adaptive CC and lane assist on). It's scary but works and it beeps when the steering wheel hasn't been touched for a while.

Very pleased so far.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Negatives - I agree with others, forward sensors should be standard. Also, I miss not being able to open the windows remotely. No speed camera warning on the navigation unit! - ridiculous.
Hi Greg, I'm in a very similar position, we've had our Soul just under 2 weeks. I have good news for you (I hope)...
We get speed warnings! It's more of a "chime" noise than the beeps of warnings for lane-keeping. You may not have found a check-box to enable it in the navigation settings. I assume that it is also something which depends on the live data, which I'm sure you have enabled.

Out of interest, was your Soul delivered with the latest "purple" look UI in the navigation unit or the older software. We've got the old version of software (from 23-12-2019, you can make that out in the last digits in my picture below)
Our maps are also out of date (EUR.12) - I believe the maps which came out this spring start with EUR.13.
At the time of the purchase it was agreed that I would get the latest software and maps (knowing that they had changed probably after the car left the factory). It didn't get done at the Pre Delivery Inspection, but the dealer has agreed the omission and will do it when we return from our current break down in Devon. If you have the old version I'd suggest that you contact your dealer and create a fuss while the car is so new, otherwise the standard charge for updating the "free" software and map updates is £40 for the labour.

On the topic of driving assistance.... Compared to the broader lane markings of our journey from London to Devon, these Devon winding lanes and faded road markings need me to disable the Lane Keeping Assist/Warning with the button down by the driver's door - other than that the Smart Cruise Control & the LKA is so nice on the long journey!

Here's my crappy picture of software versions, which was grabbed when we were collecting the car and wanted to take to the salesman and say "hey, this isn't the latest software or maps"

The software version which I was expecting ends: .200923 (23 Nov 2020)
The maps should be something like EUR.13.47.47.412.407.2 (these were only available in the UK since the end of April, nevertheless they are old before they are released, that's just the nature of "snapshot" mapping data)
Very pleased so far.
Couldn't agree more!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks for your response. It's speed CAMERA warnings that I miss and it's disappointing they are not incorporated.

Re the latest map and software - as soon as I got the car I realised it was out of date. Needless to say I had it updated this week (a courtesy car was provided).

Greg

·
Registered
23 Posts
It's speed CAMERA warnings that I miss and it's disappointing they are not incorporated.
It's speed camera warnings which I meant to type :D
Re the latest map and software - as soon as I got the car I realised it was out of date. Needless to say I had it updated this week (a courtesy car was provided).
Did you encounter any problems from the upgrade? E.g. did it keep your settings or did you have to tweak things again?
Two of us equally share the car but I'm not sure of the pros & cons of having two separate profiles. It would be a different matter if the seat and mirrors motored to different positions - That would be useful. If it just means that we get inconsistent views of settings or stored addresses that seems less useful.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The upgrade seems to saved my settings, phone book, recent destinations etc.
I don't the it's worth setting up another profile for my wife as she is an infrequent driver.

Yes, a memory seat feature would have been very desirable but there are always compromises!

I'm going to have to look closely to see if I can find the speed camera feature.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Picked my Soul Ev up in April and I like most things about it, but have a few grumbles.
First, I’d happily have paid to have both front seats fully electric rather that just the drivers seat.
Second, How cheap are Kia to fit tiny, cheap internal ceiling lights! Come on Kia, led lights are much better.
Three, I’d seen a fold down Centre arm rest on a Kia Soul video and assumed that the new First Edition would have one, but no.
Four, all the damn loud Bonging noises when starting up in the mornings!
Five, no front sensors, I’d got used to them in my last 5 cars and I miss them.
Six, just how much would it have cost Kia to give us a folder/pouch to keep the service book and manuals in.
Finally the latest UVO App version 2.0.0 that Kia is forcing on us is crap and full of glitches. My little kid could design a better one.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts