Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Soul ev
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Where does the system get the current speed limit from? I assume it's map data and not the front camera, as the HUD often displays 60 on country roads where the limit is 40, and has been signed as 40.

I read in another forum that Kia have disabled the camera for UK use. If this is true does anyone know why?

My old Renault used camera recognition and was correct most of the time. Now I know that a responsible driver shouldn't rely on the car's system, but having a limit indicator that's often wrong is worse than not having one at all.

Overall I'm happy with my 2020 Soul, but I keep discovering these bizarre oddities which seem to have no rational reason to be there.

Can I turn the limit advisory off?

Is there some setting deep in the s/w that I need to access?

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
9,456 Posts
If you do not have the speed limit sign recognition camera. Does not appear to be in the Spec. Then the speed limit will be from the sat nav.
Pretty sure you can turn that of in the navigation options on the infotainment unit.

Might even be something that you can just turn off on the hud display. Not sure if that would be via steering wheel options or not. Handbook time I'm afraid 🤦‍♂️

·
Registered
2020 Soul ev
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, you are correct.

This reply from Kia.

Thanks for your message.

The Soul EV doesn't have Intelligent Speed Limit Warning so doesn't have a camera reading the road. We're not aware of the UK being an anomaly here. Unfortunately we can't advise on the specification in other regions.

Your warnings are coming from the internal map data. The supplier HERE gives us new files once a year. The latest update was released about a month ago so I recommend asking your dealer for that. We can't guarantee this will bring the car in line with all speed limits on your journey however due to there sometimes being gaps in coverage.

You can turn off the speed limit warning in the HUD menu of the LCD screen. I believe it's under 'driver assistance' or 'travel information'.

Kind regards
Nick

·
Registered
92 Posts
On my Soul 2021, it displays on both the satnav screen and the HUD. If I remember correctly, to turn it off in the HUD, it is done via the right steering wheel mode/list button and then choose from a drop down list.
I went into that system to add/alter what INFO was on the HUD and turned it off by accident but did reset it again later.
I can’t remember if by turning it off on the HUD it also turned it off in the Satnav screen or not.

·
Registered
2020 Soul ev
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
On my Soul 2021, it displays on both the satnav screen and the HUD. If I remember correctly, to turn it off in the HUD, it is done via the right steering wheel mode/list button and then choose from a drop down list.
I went into that system to add/alter what INFO was on the HUD and turned it off by accident but did reset it again later.
I can’t remember if by turning it off on the HUD it also turned it off in the Satnav screen or not.
Thanks.

When Kia confirmed that the speed limit comes from the map, I removed it from the display. I can't see any point in having incorrect information displayed; in fact I think it inherently dangerous. I do a lot of driving on smart motorways, where the limit can go from legal maximum through 60, 50 to 40 in a few miles. Why have 70 constantly displayed? Why display a speed that I have to remember to ignore? Bonkers.

My previous car was a Renault which kept pace with displayed limits via the camera and was almost always trustworthy. The Soul is a bit of a step down in that respect and I don't really understand why it doesn't have the facility. It can hardly be price with a new Soul costing just under £35,000.

I remembered speed limits once, I'm sure I can do it again. 😏

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.