Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am recently the proud new owner of a Soul Samba Diesel, ex demo model with approx 2,000 miles on the clock.

I do understand that its still relatively new and the engine could do with loosening up but any of the diesel owners out there getting close to target mpg..

The quote urban figure i seem to remember are 44 mpg and 54 mpg for the combined cycle...i'll leave off any aspirations of hitting the quoted 61 for the extra urban.

i welcome any comments and tips

Puzzled by the dealershjips ' comment to give it some revs to loosen it up quicker .... aware of all the standard tricks of windows shut and AC /heating off and drive like you've got an egg under the accelerator pedal...

One thing that does strike me as different to a petrol car is that theres a lot of rolling inertia once the car is up to speed and in the stop start traffic conditions of urban driving i seem to be using the brakes more... perhaps more anticipation is required...

good luck to all with their new cars....

PS any news on people fitting central arm rests as well

·
Registered
6 Posts
My Samba has just over 2000 miles and my MPG seems to be around 45 mpg. This is mainly stop start commuting with the occasional out of city run. Well pleased with these figures and the car is great fun to drive.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well thats similar to what i got after i just fuilled up after 100 miles of mainly inner city driving....waiting for a whole tankful to empty so i can do a more accurate check.

hoping for a few longer runs to see if i can get close to the 55 mpg that they say for the extra urban figures... keep you posted..

·
Registered
3 Posts
Have had my Soul2 diesel for a week now - it's done 45 mpg on first tank - not bad going...the Which trials got pretty close to Kia's predictions, which is very unusual, so am hoping for good mpg.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well. here goes .... 450 miles on 10.3 gallons on a combination of city driving and a little A road... that gives43.7 mpg... a little disappointed as have done 3 or 4 40 mile trips on A roads rather than inner city stuff....

Seems a common figure for most of us... any-one out there who does mainly extra urban to see if the claimed figures ( 61.4? ) or combined 54 are realistic...

·
Registered
111 Posts
Nobbygecko,
Following the comments made by you Soul types
you will all have to stick a few more miles on the clock.
You will see big improvements as the car gets to 3000,6000,and then 12000 miles.
The diesel engines are built to close tolerances, M.P.G IMPROVES with age, bit like a good wine really
you will see an improvement just have fun posing
Speak to you Soon

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
guess thats sort of the case... thanks...still interested to hear from any body that has a diesel which is older than mine.... do they use the same engine in any other car within their range

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
latest figures are still around 46 mpg when theres a significant amount of extra urban driving involved... its nothing like the figures quoted and yes, i'm enjoying the car but very frustrated as one of the reasons for buying the car was the much better economy...

my partners got a 1.5 diesel mitsubishi colt which comfortably does 58 mpg without really trying.... i am waiting for kia's response as will take back to dealer ( ringways ) for a check up....

possibly being naive but the quoted figures of 44.8 (U), 61.4 (EU) and 54.3(C) arefigments of my imagination...... thats why i was hoping for more positive feedback from people on here who perhaps had diesels a little longer which may had freed up a bit.....

My genuine concern is that if i don't get near to the 54 on the combined mpg i might as well sell it to get something that will.....

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
last figures was 45 mpg again on a full tank where most of the mileage was done onA roads doing between 60-50 miles per hour....

would really put my mind at rest if any of your other soul diesel owners could come back with any better figures in reality ....

·
Registered
16 Posts
i've had 4 1.6 high powered diesel Ceed SW's and all got around 44 mpg. I have got in the 50's but you have to do casual motorway driving to acheive. Still i think 44 mpg is very good.

As for the engine feeling tight. They do tend to loosen up but again are all different. One of the first Ceed SW 1.6 diesel's never felt right compared to the last 3. I also had a 2.0 diesel sport SW and that just didn't impress me that much. Seemed thirsty as well so went back to 1.6 high power LS which felt better geared.

·
Registered
144 Posts
The Soul CRDI is common with the Cee'd, but the car is completely different! Lower drag coefficient, bigger wheels and tyres, 5speed manual as opposed to the 6 in the MY10 Cee'd. Figures will not be remotely interchangeable.

I have only done a little bit in the Burner before we sold it but got Cardiff and back on half a tank. 268 Miles round trip. Mainly dual carrigeways. 50.25 MPG, that was at 3500 miles. Sat at 60 all the way there, then 85 ahem 70, yes 70 all the way back.

It could benifit from an extra ratio IMHO

·
Registered
13 Posts
I now have a Burner which has just done 8k, it may be a combination of a looser engine or different tyres, as compared to the samba's but 53mpg is now the norm on combined cycle. Also, when filling up, after the 1st 'click', its possible to squeeze in another £10-12's worth of fuel, if your patient and the forecourt isn't too busy.
Just had my steering colomn changed, as was knocking quite a bit. Spoke to the boffins at Kia, and this seems to be a little weak spot on the Souls.

Apologies for my absence folks, nice to be back!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i'll honestly be happy if i got over the 50+ mark and the engine does still need more running in... only approx. 6K miles on the clock.... thanks for comments ...

·
Registered
205 Posts
Hi. My Soul 2 diesel has only 1k on it at the moment. 45mpg on the first tank to tank. A little disappointing at the moment as my Audi A6 never did less than 50mpg, and did, on a couple of runs get over 60mpg, fully loaded. I hope it is true, as mentioned earlier, that the engine tolerences are tight, and it will improve as the miles rise. Trouble is, I do not do many miles. It is though, better than my last car, and cheaper to insure. It also coped quite well in the 32cm of snow we have had recently. Just a pig fitting the chains, I will be getting snow socks next.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have the cee'd with the 1.6 CRDI 90 HP engine, now 8500 on the clock, and no matter how hard I try I cannot get better than 53 MPG. The combined fuel usage Kia publish for this vehicle is 62.5 MPG< Normal driving I get 47 MPG and have not noticed any improvement as I get more miles on the clock. I have had it back to the dealers they did an inspection of the car and say they could find nothing wrong.The also did a fuel economy test whereby I took the car into the dealers with a full tank of fuel, they put roughly 18 miles on the car, topped it up again and calculated the fuel usage as 52 MPG. When I left the dealers I dropped into the filling station again and managed to get another 0.64 litre on the tank which dropped their test results as far as I'm concerned down to 41 MPG.

This has left a bit of a sour taste with me as the only comments I get from Kia and the Dealer is that according to them I should be happy as I getting what should be expected. I getting fed up of all the waffling from them.

Wife has a Focus with the 1.6 CRDI and has gotten since new a consistent 55 MPG driving the car what I consider to be quite agressively, so using the comparrison I would expect the cee'd should be capable of much more so I think my next step might be to have the engine control remapped hoping that I might get an additional 10% on the economy.

f anyone has has a remap I would be interested in the results as far as increasing fuel economy.

·
Registered
13 Posts
My Burner now do 12k, just completed a slow but interestin trip to Scotland and back - managed 621miles on one tank of fuel!!!!! That's right from top of the tank to 1st cough, 621 miles.

So an impressive 58.75mph, on m'way's, a and b roads, even including some spectacular mountain driving. Clever little kia!

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Hi ,had my Soul now for a couple of weeks and I now have 800 miles on it,went a long run yesterday with a lot of 2500rpm/80mph motorway work and then a lot ofB roads.Started off with a full tank and refilled on same pump when we got back home and 48mpg was the figure I got.The Soul is a Tempest and I am so pleased with it,I was worried about all the comments regarding he 18" wheels and poor ride but it's fine.By the way I do not have a light right foot so it's not because I am being careful at allI just drive like I drive in my two seater.

Dave

·
Registered
205 Posts
Is it just me, or has anybody else found the click at the bottom of the throttle pedal movement. Gives a turbo overboost. When overtaking, push pedal hard down, it clicks and the car shoots forward, great! Not sure how it will affect consumption though.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
My Soul Tempest diesel started at 40mpg...improved to 46mpg by 6,ooo miles......and did a one off high of 55mpg. Bear in mind that the Soul is a chubby little thing with the aerodynamics of a barn door.....so i guess its doing ok. I did buy it for its economy so its a tad down on what i expected.....but its a nice thing to pose and bobabout in.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I've had my Soul Shaker for a week now, first two tanks I got 48 mpg, both tanks included approx 150 miles of motorway and the rest on A roads. Not a bad start I think. MPG can only get better when everything loosens up. Incidentally, I have a problem with the throttle pedal as well. It goes down to approx 1 inch from the floor, then resistance is felt. By exerting more force on the pedal it will go all the way to the floor. I took it to the dealers yesterday. A new pedal and potentiometer ordered. Apparently, the Soul does not have a throttle cable, it is all electrical - a sort of "fly by wire" set up. Hopefully that will sort out the problem.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts