Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm having a fault with my 2011 Soul instrument cluster gauges: Speedo, Rev Counter, Fuel Guage, Engine Temp are stuck at 0. Odometer and Trip Computer are not going up when vehicle driven. All other electrics work OK.

This only started in the last few days during the very cold weather in the UK, and has never done this before (I've had it since 2015).

I'm thinking of replacing the instrument cluster with one off eBay. However my current cluster only has 1 plug on the right, but the others on eBay all appear to have 3 plugs (2 on right, 1 on left). I have no idea why, as my car is a UK spec car and not an import. Also, I would need to get it reprogrammed with my previous mileage, and I can't see Kia being too happy to do this when they could probably charge £1000 to supply the part and fit it (car is only worth about £2000 - £2500).

Has anyone else had this issue. If so what did you do to fix?

Thanks
Andy

Attachments

·
Registered
912 Posts
it seems that a non functioning instrument cluster on Kias of that age is not uncommen. Many users have reported that it came back on by itself with no further issues. Dont be in a rush to pull it apart, it may actually be ok, and a used replacement may be the same. Mine was dead 1 morning in about +6 degree outside temp about 6 mths ago, next time I cold started it 2 days later it was ok, and has been ok ever since, even last week at -14 deg.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've been having the instrument cluster failure issue for the last 4 days on my 2011 Kia Soul. After spending hours on UK and US Kia forums, I tried all the following suggestions:
a) removing the battery and bringing it in the house to warm up (NO FIX)
b) cleaning the battery contacts with contact cleaner (NO FIX)
c) removing and refitting the instrument cluster after cleaning the contacts (NO FIX)
d) removing all the inside fuses and inspecting them one-by-one for a blown fuse. Also switching them around (NO FIX)
e) removing the yellow 'memory fuse' (i.e. the 2 fuses inside a yellow cage) for 15 minutes then refitting (NO FIX)
f) driving the car on a dual carriageway at 70mph (using phone GPS as speedo) for 20 minutes or so to get everything 'warmed up'. Also had heater on full blast with recirculation (NO FIX).

I was about to try removing the battery and charging it overnight, but today everything is magically working again!

As its been about 10c here in the UK today, I think this has to be the only explanation following about a week of mostly subzero temperatures.

Hoping this helps the next person to come on here looking for the solution (probably next winter now)!

·
Super Moderator
4,314 Posts
To me that says that the battery is on it's last legs. They do not like cold weather. So if it has started working now it's got warmer.
Taking it into the house would require at least a couple of days to get it to a decent temp. Did you check the voltage on the battery pre & after?
I would be looking at replacing it.

Either that or somewhere in the wiring there is a broken wire. Cold = contracting, or ice around a connection somewhere causing a issue. So could be pulling it apart enough to break the connection.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts